Recovery Drink Suggestions

melagras

Cathlete
I have been using P90X Recovery Drink. Due to the cost being so high, I need to find an alternative that is less expensive. Any suggestions?

When my DH and I were doing P90X, he used Mike's Mix. (that's what it's named) Had the "same stuff" as P90X Recovery Drink. (According to my DH) You can check out Mike's Mix online.

My sons use the Body Evolution. Its the best tasting I've tried, orange cream is my favorite.
I like their "boom" before I go running.
the owner lives by me and he's helping my son with his diet for football. Good guy!

thebodyevolution.com

Christie

Low-fat chocolate milk. We prefer the Horizon organic line, which comes in vanilla and strawberry flavors as well. They are available in small individual packages, and do not require refrigeration. Good old-fashioned chocolate milk is definitely cheaper than the Beach Body stuff--especially if you mix up your own chocolate milk (but I'm too lazy for that)! ;)

From Cathe's February 24 newsletter:

You lose up to 4 pounds of fluid every hour that your exercise if you’re working out in a hot environment. It’s important to replace those fluids as quickly as possible. Unless you’ve worked out for longer than an hour, water is a suitable fluid replacement beverage. If you’ve exercised greater than 60 minutes, especially at a high intensity in a warm environment, a sports drink or diluted fruit juice may be more appropriate since it has glucose and electrolytes. A better alternative to a sports drink is low-fat chocolate milk. Chocolate milk not only has electrolytes and carbs, it has protein too. Some research shows that protein boosts muscle recovery after exercise.

I like Xtend BCAA/Electrolyte drink by Scivation. It is a zero carb drink, so if you are looking to replenish carbs this won't do it. I use it for the BCAA (Branched chain amino acids) since research has shown that taking them during/post workout can help alleviate muscle soreness. I drink it during the workout.

Another ingredient that has been showing to help muscle recovery is glutamine, which this drink does also have.

I've tried the watermelon and sour apple flavors. I use one scoop in about 20 oz of cold water - it dissolves perfectly with a shaker cup, and even without the shaker thingy in it, which I like.

I get it at Amazon for a reduced rate. I've tried a few other BCAA/recovery drinks and haven't like the flavors as well (a big deal for me.)

I know some people do not like the artificial colors or sucralose in it, though.

Agree with the chocolate milk. It also has the added bonus of being delicious.

Another option is to mix protein powder into juice. It's more or less the same concept as recovery formula. In fact the original version was powdered OJ and protein powder. Use two parts juice to one part protein powder. You can google for more recipes.

For the electrolyte version, it looks like it's to have during the workout to burn fat and build lean muscle. Does anyone drink this during the workout but still have something before or after? Sometimes I have a pre-workout drink and I usually drink a glass of chocolate milk afterwards. It would be nice to have a non-carb boost during a workout.

LizC7, try the coconut water Pam suggested. It has electrolytes, but pure coconut water is low-ish in carbs. Just check the label because some brands do add sugar from what I hear. It's a good choice. Unfortunately, I don't use it because I'm not a coconut fan.

For the electrolyte version, it looks like it's to have during the workout to burn fat and build lean muscle. Does anyone drink this during the workout but still have something before or after? Sometimes I have a pre-workout drink and I usually drink a glass of chocolate milk afterwards. It would be nice to have a non-carb boost during a workout.

Do you mean the Xtend? Yes - I drink it both during workout and sometimes post workout if the workout was really tough. I had read some research that shows that BCAAs drunk throughout the day can help recovery because there is a constant source of the amino acids your muscles need for growth.

I haven't gone that far ...

This time of the year, when its hot, I like to put watermelon in my nutribullet and drink that after a long run, so refreshing!
better then any sports drink/product

Christie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.