Recommendations for Insanity Prep

Cupcake

Cathlete
Hi,

I have been lurking and finally decided to order the insanity workouts because everyone seems to really like them here. Catheites are a tough crowd to please so they must be really good!

I need recommendations on some workouts to prep with since I haven`t been working out much and just started up last week with some beginner and intermediate workouts.

Ex. Kelli Roberts and Gin Miller and some Firm Tapes. I did STD Squat Rack routine yesterday and my hammies are mad. :p I can last about an hour on an elliptical. I can finish P90X Plyo.

I struggle with CTX cardio though...but can do Cardio and Weghts,Rhythmic Step, Step Blast...half of Imax 2. ( on a good day... )

I`m 5`4 and 163 lbs ... at this point, I am aiming for a ten pound weightloss.

So any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rachel

Do the work outs that leave you gasping for air, dripping with sweat, and unable to move when they are done and then multiply that intensity by ten and you'll pretty much be ready for Insanity! :D :p

I don't know of any workout that compares to the cardio intensity of Insanity. Maybe try any high intensity interval workout. My real recommendation would be to just start Insanity with the Fit Test and the month one workouts. You may not get through the entire workout the first second or third time through but I am sure that you will get better each time. Insanity has a cumulative effect. You have to just keep doing it and through consistency you will improve. The fit test is a workout in itself. In the beginning of Insanity the warm up will feel like a workout. When I first started Insanity I was sweating at the end of the warmup but by the beginning of the second month I was quite comfortable at the end of the warm up.

I absolutely love Insanity! Shaun T is a great encouraging instructor. It was my best fitness purchase in 2009. My resting heart rate dropped to 35 by going through the Insanity program.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Do the work outs that leave you gasping for air, dripping with sweat, and unable to move when they are done and then multiply that intensity by ten and you'll pretty much be ready for Insanity! :D :p

So true!

I would say start with Cathe's Drill Max. Insanity is like Drill Max on speed.

ITA :)) I swear it just doesn't get easy.

It seemed like a good idea at the time...lol. Was there any overtraining issues? Injuries?
I saw the clip of the mother and daughter team and thought that was cool. But if it's ten x tougher than the regular stuff...how do the joints feel by the next workout? I suppose they wouldn't release a regimen that wasn't well thought out.

Wendy,
You really made me want it now. I'm trying not to buy it and just hope for it for Christmas which I probably won't get. We have a cap of $40 because our families are so big. I really want it. Everyone please quit talking about it! It's making me insane and I don't even have it.

Last edited:
It seemed like a good idea at the time...lol. Was there any overtraining issues? Injuries?
I saw the clip of the mother and daughter team and thought that was cool. But if it's ten x tougher than the regular stuff...how do the joints feel by the next workout? I suppose they wouldn't release a regimen that wasn't well thought out.

One of the reasons I love these workouts is because they are tougher than anything out there. It's a well put together workout, but it is for more advanced exercisers. It didn't bother my joints at all and I did the rotation as suggested. But, my joints never hurt. I am susceptible to PF but this workout did not cause any issues with that.

Definately start with month 1 and don't progress to month 2 until you start to feel like you need more challenge. In many ways, I feel this workout is easier on my body than a step workout but it works my cardio system more.

I have to agree with previous posters. My joints never suffered any ill-will due to these work outs and I followed the original rotation too. I just added a little weight work in there so I stretched the week out by a day to get it done.
I am in round 2 now and alternating Insanity with the X weight work outs so I am doing Insanity every other day. Good stuff! :D

I don't know of any workout that compares to the cardio intensity of Insanity. Maybe try any high intensity interval workout. My real recommendation would be to just start Insanity with the Fit Test and the month one workouts. You may not get through the entire workout the first second or third time through but I am sure that you will get better each time. Insanity has a cumulative effect. You have to just keep doing it and through consistency you will improve. The fit test is a workout in itself. In the beginning of Insanity the warm up will feel like a workout. When I first started Insanity I was sweating at the end of the warmup but by the beginning of the second month I was quite comfortable at the end of the warm up.

I absolutely love Insanity! Shaun T is a great encouraging instructor. It was my best fitness purchase in 2009. My resting heart rate dropped to 35 by going through the Insanity program.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

So glad to hear that the warm up gets more comfortable in Month 2! I am starting week 3, did 2nd fit test today, improved on all but Power Jumps for some reason.
Really liking Shaun T's style... hoping this will prep me for STS Cardio. Of course, some of my Cathe wos have "prepped" me for insanity as well.

Was nervous abt not doing any weights for a while, but I'll be ready to go back to them when STS Cardio is out & I'll do w/STS weights.

I did a lot of kickboxing and kettlebells right before Insanity. The harder TaeBos, The Pit, Crosspit are excellent preparation materials. Make sure your are ready for Insanity so you can really enjoy it! Good luck :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.