Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Talk about anything you like in this forum including other videos you like or dislike.We would like to once again remind everyone that we donít allow posts from people whose end purpose is to sell or promote other companies DVDs. We want open discussion to continue to be used by fitness enthusiast and our customers who want to openly and honestly discuss fitness DVDs, not to be used by other companies to promote their website or sell their products.

Question for a health professional about LDH levels

This is a discussion on Question for a health professional about LDH levels within the Open Discussion forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; I take care of my mother's health and I just received a copy of her bloodwork and, of course, the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Cathlete

Default Question for a health professional about LDH levels

I take care of my mother's health and I just received a copy of her bloodwork and, of course, the dr.'s office is currently closed but I'd like to find out a little bit more about this before I talk with him tomorrow. The range for the LDH level is 313-618. Hers came in at 714. I'm doing some research on the internet and am finding out some info on it but was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. Is this considered abnormally high, relatively high, etc.? I'm not looking for medical advice but I'd like to have some info so I can get some sleep and not be on the internet all night looking for answers until morning comes. Thanks in advance.

Bam
Old 10-14-2009, 12:57 AM
den333's Profile Fields

You can try www.labtestsonline.org for info on the LDH test. But the range given seems off to me. Adults < 230 U/L, usually in the 100s are common from what I've seen. There are many different reasons why an LDH may be high, including mishandling of the blood, if she exercised before hand, or intake of certain drugs or skin diseases. If everything else looks good I wouldn't worry until seeing the Doctor. Hopefully it's just a false alarm.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Cathlete
ellesan's Profile Fields

Are you sure you're not looking at triglycerides? That range seems way off, but different labs do have different ranges. Here's the typical ranges of all things cholesterol:

Cholesterol levels should be measured at least once every five years by everyone over the age of 20. The screening test that is usually performed is a blood test called a lipoprotein profile. Experts recommend that men aged 35 and older and women age 45 and older be routinely screened for lipid disorders. The lipoprotein profile includes:

LDL (low density lipoprotein cholesterol, also called "bad" cholesterol)
HDL (high density lipoprotein cholesterol, also called "good" cholesterol)
Triglycerides (fats carried in the blood from the food we eat. Excess calories, alcohol or sugar in the body are converted into triglycerides and stored in fat cells throughout the body.)
Results of your blood test will come in the forms of numbers. Here is how to interpret your cholesterol numbers:

LDL Cholesterol
LDL cholesterol can build up on the walls of your arteries and increase your chances of getting heart disease. That is why LDL cholesterol is referred to as "bad" cholesterol. The lower your LDL cholesterol number, the better it is for your health. The table below explains what the numbers mean.

LDL Cholesterol LDL-Cholesterol Category
Less than 100 Optimal
100 - 129 Near optimal/above optimal
130 - 159 Borderline high
160 - 189 High
190 and above Very high

If you have heart disease or blood vessel disease, some experts recommend that you should try to get your LDL cholesterol below 70. For people with diabetes or other multiple risk factors for heart disease, the treatment goal is to reach an LDL of less than 100.

HDL Cholesterol
When it comes to HDL cholesterol -- "good" cholesterol -- the higher the number, the better it is for your health. This is because HDL cholesterol protects against heart disease by taking the "bad" cholesterol out of your blood and keeping it from building up in your arteries. The table below explains what the numbers mean.

HDL Cholesterol HDL-Cholesterol Category
60 and above High; Optimal; helps to lower risk of heart disease
Less than 40 in men and less than 50 in women Low; considered a risk factor for heart disease

Triglycerides
Triglycerides are the chemical form in which most fat exists in food and the body. A high triglyceride level has been linked to the occurrence of coronary artery disease in some people. Here's the breakdown.

Triglycerides Triglyceride Category
Less than 150 Normal
150 - 199 Borderline high
200 - 499 High
500 or higher Very high

Total Cholesterol
Your total blood cholesterol is a measure of LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol and other lipid components. Doctors recommend total cholesterol levels below 200

Total Cholesterol Category
Less than 200 Desirable
200 - 239 Borderline High
240 and above High
Triathlete in 2010!
http://www.maintainmyweight.blogspot.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Keepin...09098779121323
Old 10-14-2009, 05:40 PM
DeCathelete
fit_fairy's Profile Fields

Here's a good site with a little info on LDH:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003471.htm

and another:

http://www.labtestsonline.org/unders.../ldh/test.html

Last edited by fit_fairy; 10-14-2009 at 05:44 PM..
Old 10-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Cathlete

Thank you den33, Sandra and Catherine for your responses and links! Sandra, you've given me a nice education on the cholesterol levels which are also too high for my mother in addition to her LDH so it is valuable information. I spoke with the doc today and he said that he wouldn't be concerned unless the levels reached 1000 or higher. Her overall health is not that great so I will keep her LDH level in mind as she continues to be monitored.

Thank you again everyone for responding. It is much appreciated!

Bam