Piriformis

Susan53

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-01 AT 12:43PM (Est)[/font][p]I found an answer, so just ignore me.;-)

RE: Piriformis - I feel your pain

Hi Susan-

So sorry to hear of your difficulties. I'm sure others can give a more complete/accurate reply but here's my two cents (maybe it's only worth one cent). I've had problems with the piriformis muscle (my pt told me it's the muscle that runs down the outside of the thigh) periodically because of a herniated disc and misaligned hip/pelvic joints. When I get really out of whack that muscle tightens up. I've been given stretches to do but the best relief seems to come from getting my joints in proper alignment (keeping them that way has been my challenge).

The advice I offer based on my recent experience is to go to the doc sooner rather than later. My pt (this is my 3rd pt group in 6 months but I finally found someone who's giving me relief and understands/supports my obsession with getting back to my workouts) has warned me that because there is nerve involvement, if I'm not careful and don't take it slow, I can risk permanent nerve damage :eek: I made the mistake of putting up with my discomfort for months (and, like you, trying to do more yoga and stretching) until I got to where I couldn't work out at all :'( Obviously your situation could be completely different. I just know I'm looking at several more weeks of therapy before I can even do something so simple as walking for 15 minutes. I can't remember the last time I was able to do a Cathe tape (but did that stop me from ordering the new tapes - heck NO :-jumpy) I'd hate to see you in that predicament.

FWIW. Let us know what you decide to do and what progress you make.

JanetH

Janet, thank you so much for your reply. :) I erased the original part that you read...I thought no one had read it yet...because I looked piriformis on the net and found a lot of information.

I don't have any trouble walking and I keep doing my tapes...only stepping causes some discomfort and stretching the outer hip.

Do you have any trouble with tailor sitting? Trying to stretch that outside muscle hurts so I don't push it. Why do I really need to sit like a tailor anyway? :-hmmm Dumb me, I never really put the tight hip and sore back together until recently :-rollen.

I am not sure if the piriformis is my problem but I am going to have it checked out right away....I certainly don't want permanent nerve damage!

I am going to call my doctor now for an appointment....but what do you think of Chiropractic help?

I am so sorry you are in such discomfort. I remember talking to you once before about sciatic nerve pain but always thought a disc was involved....not a muscle. I do hope the therapy is over for you soon. I too ordered the new Cathe's and the new Christi's too, so we do have optimism on our side. :)

Thank you again....you have helped a great deal.

susan--Hi, I suffered from a HORRIBLE case of piriformis syndrome about five years ago. At the time, I was running about 60 miles a week, training for a marathon. I had to stop running--for good--because of it. That was a positive though because I have since discovered Cathe and gotten into strength training.
Anyway, I was in chronic pain for about a month. It was the worst---hurt like heck everytime I sat down. I could feel the muscle "clenched," squeezing my sciatic nerve. I went to a chiropractor who made it worse. Physical therapy helped some, but the only thing that "cured" me was becoming more flexible in my hamstrings/buttocks/hip flexors and strengthening my hips/butt/lower back.
I occasionally will have a relapse, but as long as I'm religious about stretching after my workouts, I'm OK. I can do step, hi/lo, kicboxing, rowing machine, stationary bike, and walking w/no problem. Nordic track seems to make it come back, so I've steered clear of that one. My advice, for what it's worth, is to see a good orthopedist who works with athletes. Doctor's advice is always the best.
Send me a note ([email protected]) if you want some moral support. Believe me, I thought I was going to suffer w/it for the rest of my life. I survived and am living proof that it's manageable.
Suzanne

Thank you so much for your reply Suzanne.....and you don't even know what I originally said!

I had erased it because I'm not really sure just what my problem is, I just know that my lower back and hips are sore to some degree or other. Just lying on my side sometimes makes the hip hurt so sleeping can be disrupted and on my back it is not so comfortable either (and they say if the piriformis is involved lying on the back eases it). Sometimes when I am sitting in a hard chair my hips feel pulled and sore. I just recently made the connection between the hips and back and am wondering if it is the piriformis. The nerve seems to be affected but it is more like the side of my leg than the back.

I am going to see the doctor soon and find out just what it is.....kind of dumb of me just putting up with it hoping it will go away. I sure don't want to have my workouts terminated.

Maybe you can answer me this question. Does it hurt your outer hips to tailor sit? Does that movement have something to do with the piriformis? Maybe my sore back and sore hips are two different ailments and it is nothing to do with the piriformis. Stay tuned.........sounds like a mystery ;-)

Thank you for your offer to send you a note. I will wait till I see the doctor to see what it is that causes this pain. You are very kind.

Hi Susan!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-22-01 AT 09:48AM (Est)[/font][p]I'm glad you found the info you needed and will be headed to the doc soon. I don't have much experience with chiropractors, used to go to one occasionally to get the kinks out, but he retired. Re: hip and back pain being connected: it's a constant source of amazement how complicated our bodies are. Which is a good reminder of how glad I am to have found Cathe and folks like you on this forum. Thanks for your kinds words.

This is a really dumb question, but what is "tailor" sitting.

I'd be interested hearing the results of your doctor visit - and of course, good thoughts headed your way. Optimism rules!

Janet

Susan--Hi, sorry about the delayed response. I haven't been logging on regularly this week. Anyway, my pain was on the back of my left hamstring, and up where my hamstring & bum intersect. The hamstring/lower bum would hurt like heck everytime I sat down. Only standing or lying would give me relief. The piriformis muscle was tight or spasming--thus irritating my sciatic nerve. I think it can affect the side of your leg--everyone's different. Please let us know what the doc says! I'm sending good thoughts your way. I'm sure, once you get this under control, that you will be able to modify your workouts and stay active. Right now, concentrate at getting as pain-free as comfortable! Suzanne

Thanks so much for all the information Janet and Suzanne! :)

My leg has not been sore or tingly for the rest of this week, just the back....now I am really confused :-hmmm .....doesn't sound like the piriformis at all now! I did make a doctor's appointment for Tuesday so I'll find out just what is going on then.

Janet, tailor sitting is when you sit with your legs crossed in front of you.....this pulls the side muscles of my hips. I have been doing stretches for this and they don't seem to be loosening much. I guess if it is one of those things that makes me hurt and I have no real need in life to do it....I just won't do it!

I'll post again when I have seen the doctor.

RE: Hi Susan!

Well.....I got back from the doctor's a while ago and he says I have sciatica.....but we didn't pin point the source of it. I saw that it is in the same category as piriformis syndrome when I was looking on the net for information about sciatica.

He says to alternately use ice and heat...and do some exercises and strengthen my abdominals....stuff I have been doing all along, except for the ice and heat. Also to take Advil if I feel I need to. I told him I did weights and aerobics and he said that was ok still but that the stepping would probably aggravate it. I asked about doing the stepping on a really low step and he said ok but stop when I felt bothered by it......maybe I should still do the tapes and not use a step at all in that case.

I thought only 'old' people got sciatica ;-). This will come and go all the time now. At least it is not life threatening and I'm not going to be suddenly paralyzed. I am going again in October for a full check up.....I wonder what else he will find.

How are you guys doing?

Janet, I hope your treatment is doing you good and you can be your 'normal' self soon....and Suzanne, when you get that piriformis acting up again I'll know a little bit about what you are feeling.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.