P90X/Ebay/Legal issues!!!

baylian

Cathlete
I received an email from a law firm in CA stating that I was pirating P90X products. WTH? I sold my P90X months back for $40 (one disc never worked) and now they want almost $900 for legal fees and to sign a document that I will cease and desist selling pirated BeachBody products.

I don't think so . . . maybe a class action law suit against them might be in order for false accusations. This is extortion!!

I called the law firm this morning and they wanted to know where I purchased my product (Beachbody.com), when (like almost 5 years ago if I remember correctly), how much I sold it for (see above), if I took a photo of the product (yes) or copy and pasted a picture from the Beachbody websit (NO). I told them that there were over 700 P90X products currently on ebay and asked if they were contacting all of these people and she replied YES! What is really scary is that my sale happened almost 6 mos ago and they had my name and email.

The name of the law firm is Johnson and Pham.

Beware!!

With actions like that, I will purchase no longer purchase any Beach Body products. I have P90X and have been thinking about some of their other products, but not now! If they treat their customers like that, they will not have my business.

Is it typical of "cease and desist" orders to be done via email? Don't they have "burden of proof"? Have you contacted Beachbody about this outrage? If anything would ever stop me from buying from a company again, it would be treatment like that.

Honestly, though, this sounds a little like a scare tactic that an eBay seller would use to scare off perceived competition...really.

Unreal . .

I talked directly with the law firm that sent the email. I did a search on GOOGLE and they are legit. I basically told them they weren't getting a dime and I wasn't signing anything because I didn't do anything wrong. Today there are 709 P90X listings on ebay. Now I am sure some are pirated but mine was not. Ebay did tell me I couldn't use the name Beachbody in my listing so I didn't. Ebay has no humans working for them I swear. It was a cease and desist letter. Gayle - aren't you in law???

I am done with Beachbody. I just posted this whole thing on Tony Hortons Facebook Wall also. Feed the tuna to the mayo . . . .

They could go after every body that sold anything on ebay . . .

I am going to go work out now (STS #4) and then attend my son's basketball game and watch him and the team kick butt . . . . .

I've heard nothing but horror stories about Beach Body and no matter how much I might want a few of their workouts, I will not put my money in their pockets, PERIOD!

Someone over on the VF forum was complaining of something similar a few months ago. I don't know if it was P90X or some other Beachbody product. She had an ebay store and ebay pulled her "top seller" ranking and stopped her from selling, etc. She had gotten on the Vf forum to request receipts from people to prove where she had purchased items or gotten them in trade, etc. I think she ended up getting it resolved with ebay/Beachbody.

This must be really aggravating for you. In the meantime, there are scam artists out there selling tons of bootleg copies that they probably won't do anything to. Good grief....

Good luck to you.

Glad you didn't sign and are refusing to pay. It sounds to me like they're trying to confuse people who sell legitimate copies of P90x. You're protected under First Sale doctrine. As long as your copy is legitimate, you can sell it or give it away or rent it or wallpaper your bathroom with it. As long as you don't copy or broadcast it illegally, you broke no laws.

BB are a bunch of crooks.

Now Insanity doesn't seem so tempting, does it? ;)
bonvivant is indeed correct about First Sale and any idiot with a basic copyright knowledge should know this. Be sure to mention that to the "lawyers"

Wow! What a shame that decent law abiding citizens have to be acused for crud that criminals do. I've been ripped off of Ebay so I never buy from Ebay unless I'm desprate and expect to get ripped off again, . . but I also was not a fan of P90X either.

So apparently it's posting the picture on ebay that is the copyright infringement. Yikes. Thanks for posting this. I have two beachbody workouts -- just got Brazil Butt Lift (which I LOVE), but will make a note NEVER to sell them on ebay! :confused::confused::confused:

I am confused. Does it mean that BB did not allow us to re sell it if we don't like it after we bought it? I did not see any contract BB asked me to sign when I ordered their products. If there would be such kind of item, I will never buy it from them. What a shame. I just got BBL. I do have P90X and thought about selling it. I for some reason never can complete a full 90 days cycle. However, I had no problem to finish STS and did it over again.

I don't know if it is legal that BB can require its customer not to re sell.

That is crazy!! Don't you have the right to sell anything that you purchased legally?? Weird.

I am surprised everyone doesn't like BB...I have had only good experiences with ordering from them (now, I am probably jinxed! ha)

Sorry you are going through this!!

These are unrelated to the current topic. They do, however, show what kind of company BB is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ2MJhLiGJ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW9eUeHnURw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PBQ2S5eDZA

I will never buy another BB product again. I can't support these people. How funny Cathe gets skewered for having shorter cool downs or Chris being rude. BB is as bad as Wal-Mart yet it's all ok because you really want Insanity and Brazil Butt Lift!!!!

OMG!! I never knew this was the way beachbody works. So being a coach is essentialy being a salesperson. what a joke! no more beachbody for me. It must be know that beachbody has your back if you are selling their product:confused:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.