Non-Processed Cheese

dr.mel_PT

Cathlete
Is it possible to buy cheese that isn't processed? I took an online health quiz and was shocked at how much processed crap I'm eating without even thinking about it. I eat cheese a couple times a week...not a lot at a time but I want to get off processed foods for good!

Also, can anyone recommend any books on weaning yourself off the processed food bandwagon? I don't even know where to start!

Melissa - You can find good cheeses (raw milk and pasteurized), but you may not find them in the regular dairy section of your grocery store.

Any natural food stores in your area? They may carry stuff from local, small or artisanal cheese makers. It's usually not cheap, but oh, so worth it. ;)

Where do you live? I'm in ny and here I have access to several farmer's markets, some cheese shops and our grocery stores have a separate cheese section. Try to find places like that in your town.

I live in NY too; I have a Trader Joe's by me. Would they sell it there? And how can you tell if the cheese is processed or not? Also, Stop & Shop has a totally separate cheese section w/ the more expensive stuff. I have no problem spending a little more $$ but I just want to make sure I'm really buying something that hasn't been processed.

Here's the link to the quiz: http://www.lifesupplemented.org/sweepstakes.htm . After you register, you can take it. I did really well in all areas except for overall health and that was because of my reliance on easy and apparently over-processed foods :(

And how can you tell if the cheese is processed or not?

If I'm getting the definition of "processed" right, I think real "non processed" cheese generally only contains milk, rennet (or cultures) and salt.

"Processed" cheese contains other stuff like coloring, extra salt, emulsifiers, potato starch, preservatives and stuff like that.

I *think* if a cheese is made from pasteurized milk, it actually has to say "pasteurized". So if it just says "milk", then it's a raw milk/non-pasteurized cheese, which IMO is just better.

I think NYS is a good place for getting good cheeses. Check out this site: http://www.nyfarmcheese.org/

A good book to read is The Raw Food Detox Diet by Natalia Rose. You can get it on amazon.com, I think the paperback is around $ 10. She also has a website/blog. http://www.detoxtheworld.com/ She recommends going in phases off processed food and there are meal plans that can be easily modified. My kids like most of her food but then again, they don't have much of a choice :cool::eek:

She recommends raw goat cheese by Alta Dena in moderation. You can get it at Whole Foods. I eat barely any cheese anymore but my kids like the goat cheese that I buy from a local farmer.

I live in NY too; I have a Trader Joe's by me. Would they sell it there? And how can you tell if the cheese is processed or not? Also, Stop & Shop has a totally separate cheese section w/ the more expensive stuff. I have no problem spending a little more $$ but I just want to make sure I'm really buying something that hasn't been processed.

Here's the link to the quiz: http://www.lifesupplemented.org/sweepstakes.htm . After you register, you can take it. I did really well in all areas except for overall health and that was because of my reliance on easy and apparently over-processed foods :(

I should have asked what you mean by processed. Are you looking for cheese made from raw milk like another member suggested? To me anything from the diary aisle is processed. The ones in the specialty section should state how it was made, what it contains, where it was made and depending on the type of cheese - how long it has been aged. I would advise you to go to a store where you can have a knowledgeable employee help you and where you can do taste tests. Those cheese sections have so many options and can be quite overwhelming.

I think it depends on your definition of "processed". If you think about it, just cutting up vegetables is processing them. Steaming them is processing them.

I don't have concerns about processed food in general, I have concerns about the ingredients used in the food I eat and the extent to which their nutrients remain intact by the time they reach my plate. Some foods actually boost their nutritional value through processing - for instance, the lycopene in tomatoes is more available when tomatoes are cooked, and flaxseeds will just pass right through the digestive tract unless they are ground into meal.

Why are you so concerned about cheese being processed? How do you think cheese being processed would negatively affect you?

I think it depends on your definition of "processed". If you think about it, just cutting up vegetables is processing them. Steaming them is processing them.

I don't have concerns about processed food in general, I have concerns about the ingredients used in the food I eat and the extent to which their nutrients remain intact by the time they reach my plate. Some foods actually boost their nutritional value through processing - for instance, the lycopene in tomatoes is more available when tomatoes are cooked, and flaxseeds will just pass right through the digestive tract unless they are ground into meal.

Why are you so concerned about cheese being processed? How do you think cheese being processed would negatively affect you?

By processed I mean adding in chemicals and additives I don't need. For example, the pre-sliced plastic cheese would be something that is highly processed and I don't want anywhere near my mouth lol.

By processed I mean adding in chemicals and additives I don't need. For example, the pre-sliced plastic cheese would be something that is highly processed and I don't want anywhere near my mouth lol.

then head on over to the other cheese section, those aren't processed in that way.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.