- Need your thoughts on situation

Fitness-Mom

Cathlete
Ok, I picked up my SUV last night...Love it, really drives nice.
'2006 Mitsubishi Outlander :)

Here is my problem...After signing the paperwork, they said it would be mailed to me within 5 days...Have you ever heard of such a thing? Every, car I purchased I never, ever left their without the paperwork?? Seems a little fishy to me. They said b/c my credit was poor, they have to make sure the loan gets funded. What does this have to do with my paperwork...don't you think I am entitled to receive this?
What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks so much!! :)

Today is a Gift, Live it to the fullest ~

~Jennifer~

In my experience, The loan is ALWAYS approved before you sign the papers. WE bought a new SUV this summer, and the dealership even told my husband his credit score.Yes, we left the dealership with the copy of the loan and purchase papers. Why would they let you have the car if the loan was not final, what happens if the bank denies the loan. Will you have to return the car? Sorry, but this to me does not sound right. Maybe someone else here knows more about this than I do.

Ditto luvmylabs. Go down there and get your copies. 5 days later is not acceptable as far as I know. I have purchased several cars and ALWAYS had the paperwork in hand with keys.

Good luck!

Is this the paperwork for your financing? Typically financing for a dealership is done by a 3rd party bank so I could see how they might have to get other signatures before giving you fully executed copies of the paperwork. I know when I re-financed my mortgage they got my sig first, took back the paperwork & then sent it to me thru UPS.

Did you ask them why? Or maybe at least for the unexecuted copies for your records?

I spoke w/ Sales this morning-he is going to have the Credit Manager cmb to go over everything.
They had already told me it was being financed through Chase Manhatten. Said,it is currently in their other building being worked on.
Just seems a little strange to me, seems like it's possible that they are going to change the #'s around. I have already gave them a check for $2,250.00 as part of the down money! I just thought I should get some sort of paperwork given to me.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

~Jennifer~

I would think you should get at least a receipt for the down payment specifically saying what the payment is for.

I've left a dealership with just a bill of sale before because the dealer was going to take care of the license plates etc.

Hi, You should never leave with your new car without a bill of sale. This is your only proof the car is yours sence you do not have tags yet. I would at least request a bill of sale or a copy of the bill of sale. I also agree that if there was a dought about your loan they would not have let you leave with the car, you would have been asked to wait to pick up the car when the loan was finial. Good luck.

Jennifer, This should make you very uncomfortable. You left the dealership with absolutely no proof the vehicle belongs to you. And they have your money. What if you were stopped by the police? How could you prove ownership, insurance, etc.? An attorney could tell you for sure, but I believe many states allow you three days to renege on a major purchase like that. The fact that they want you to allow five days for the papers to arrive in the mail sounds very suspect to me. But I'm not an attorney and I can't give you advice--just suggestions. If I were you, I would find out for sure whether or not you can cancel the contract within three days. (Just a thought--maybe the Attorney General's Office can answer that question.) Then I would go back to the dealership tomorrow morning and demand copies of the paperwork that you signed. At the very least, they should have given you copies of that. Good luck.

MissL

ETA--After checking this out at the PA Attorney General website, I found that the three-day cancelation applies only to contracts signed in your home. It does not apply to the purchase of automobiles. They do have an 800 number to contact the PA Bureau of Consumer Protection (1-800-441-2555). You may want to call them to see if they can offer you any advice at all.

You will need legal help. You need to find a consumer protection attorney.

It isn't so much about whether or not the car is yours (if you have financed it, the bank has the right to repossess if you default, so they have an interest in it too), it is a matter of the actual amount you will pay in the long run for the car. Dealerships use all kinds of illegal practices to end up getting more money for the car than the buyer intended.

Hello,

My husband worked for a brief stint at a car dealership. I read him your post and he immediately said, "Well, everything a car dealership does is suspect because they're a bunch of lying bastards..." LOL! Does that make you feel any better?

But then went on to tell me that in cases that were more difficult to finance, it was not uncommon to send the car home with the customer while waiting for financing to go through. He said that with poor credit cases, financing can take several days to work out. You may not have your paperwork yet because technically, you do not have a loan, and the sale is not complete. Until you get your paperwork, there is a small chance that the deal could "unwind" - unravel, fall through...

In car sales there is lots of presscure to sell a car TODAY. The idea is that if you have to wait for your loan to go through, you might go to another dealership in the meantime and buy from somewhere else. So what they do is send the car home with you and then scramble around a little to secure financing after-the-fact.

If it was me and I'm saying if it was me... I would give the car back. I had bad credit too. however, I have never heard of this.. I would contact an atty. regarding this for more information!!! x( x( x(

To follow up on Mocha's post, the delay on the paperwork will also likely involve DIFFERENT TERMS than you expect (as in, 12% rather than the 9% you agreed to, so we can be talking about a difference of several thousand dollars). Be incredibly careful.

Jennifer --

I had a similar situation with our last car purchase...very bizzare.

My husband negotiated a deal with a dealer 3 hours away (model not available locally), signed papers and brought the Sequoia home. We were told Toyota had to sign the papers and then we would get copies in the mail. We really weren't concerned, our credit is excellent and we had no worries.

Fast forward a few weeks, we haven't recieved any signed paperwork back. I still had the carbon copies WE signed, but they weren't a legal contact because the other party didn't sign. I start calling Toyota financing and the dealership (silly me, I actually wanted to make a car payment and hadn't gotten any account information).

Dealer claims we "need" to sign new contracts (Red flag) and mails out paperwork with the numbers TWEAKED to his advantage. I'll spare you the details but it took a lot of phone calls and letter writing to get this straightened out. It didn't help that car dealer was located 3 hours away.

I threatened to turn the story over to an investigative reporter and then finally, our signed contracts appeared and all was well.

I hope this works out for you. Do you have a copy of what YOU signed? I ALWAYS request a copy of this, even if the other signature line is blank.

I hate to say it, but some car dealers are very, very manipulative and give the whole industry a terrible reputation.

Patricia

Hi Patricia-

I don't have any of the paperwork that I signed, not even the carbons. I have left 2 messages for the finance manager, but he fails to return my calls.
Funny thing is, I decided to look in my glove box earlier today. Found a few papers from the previous owner, must of left them in their. But then I found 2 pink papers that I signed, but the problem is, the #'s don't seem right at all (different totals on each paper), plus it doesn't state our trade in or the $2250.00 money I put down. Why would they hide them in their and not hand them right to me?? Sounds odd to me!! We are going to look them over again tonight & contact the dealer w/ questions!

~Jennifer~

I think I saw a story like this on Dateline. A scam that some car dealerships use is that they tell the customer to go ahead and take the car and that they need to wait for the financing to go thru before they can finalize the paperwork. Days later, when you come in to sign the final papers, the terms and interest rates are way higher than what they tell you up front. If you notice and say something to them, they say that your credit was bad and that's why you didn't qualify for the better deal. However, since you have already driven the car, you're stuck with their new terms.

IMO - never finance a car thru a dealership. You'll likely get a much better deal at a bank or credit union.

I hope this is not whats going on in your case.:-( If it is, I would mention possibly tipping off an investigative reporter like a prior post mentioned and also hiring an lawyer. Most car dealerships don't like to hear these things and they knkow it's much less expensive to just give you the original terms.

Best wishes for you and your new ride.;-)

Angie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.