Need help getting on track...

lis1

Cathlete
I'm really sick of my terrible eating/non-exercising habits I've become accustomed to. I'm 26 and have put on about 6 lbs which isn't a lot but for me it is since I'm short. Part of the problem is I'm in a tough college program- but I think we all have an hour to workout a few times a week. I also eat out a lot since I'm not into cooking and it's convenient. I'll buy healthy foods but they usually go to waste.

How have you gotten into a healthy routine? I have some of the diet plans-South Beach, Weight Watchers, P90X- and lots of videos (I used to workout a lot). Should I just cut all the junk out (I eat mostly junk, processed food)? Or allow myself treats? I sort of think that by allowing myself treats, I'll keep saying "I'll eat better tomorrow" which never happens.

Thanks for any help or experiences you've had!

I would try just changing one thing at a time. Add certain foods like cottage cheese and try to have it almost daily. This will crowd out some of the junk.

Also try to develop a habit of working out at the same time each day. Even if it's just going through the motions, or very short. (Just take one or two days off per week.) Establishing the habit is half the battle. It's easy to add intensity once the habit's there.

I'm sure you will get a lot of wisdom from others. Good luck, you will do great.

I think one of the things that turned my health issues around was reading As a Man Thinketh. He tells a story of a gluttonous man (not that I am saying you are, and I don't particularly think I was either), but this man would pay anything for health, but he would never achieve it because his thinking/habits kept him from reaching his goal. It made me realize that if I didn't change my thinking and replace my bad habits then I would never reach my goal to have a healthy body. I think one thing that may be helpful would to be plan your meals ahead of time, and if you have time to cook a meal one night...cook extra that you can eat on the nights you don't have to cook. Like if you were going to BBQ on the weekend, cook more servings than you would normally cook and then use it in meals through out the week...like throwing it on a salad, or mixing it in a soup etc. Keep your goals obtainable.

Good luck in your fitness goals!
Lindzebird

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.