Just to do it - or progress it

L Sass

Cathlete
Hello fit friends. I have a question about lifting. Do you just go along with a DVD or program, whatever, and do what you can do? Or does it BUG you when you don't see progress?

I've injured my hamstring so I've switched up my lifts in an effort to let it heal. When I lift heavy, I really focus on legs, back, and delts. Biceps, triceps and chest also get worked, but I just "do them" and don't really focus so much on the progressive increase of weights on those. I'm kind of happy where I am on those groups, just doing what I do. Until today. I haven't had a good heavy lift on chest in some time, so I went today to see what I could do.

And yes, I'm stronger now than the last time (so that IS progress) BUT I didn't get what I really thought I could get. And now I'm ticked! But WHY am I ticked? I'm thrilled that I can - and do - lift heavier than many other women I know. So why does it bug me that I didn't see the progress I wanted to? :confused::confused:

It just got me thinking. Do you go along in your workouts and appreciate the movement for the sake of movement? Or do you get preturbed with yourself when you don't progress like you want to?

I want progress and I want it bad! lol Even if it's just a little at a time. I want to improve in both endurance and strength. I LOVE using the 1RM numbers and pushing past the previous workout! I don't need to make huge improvements just as long as I keep moving forward. I just posted about an injury too ... so frustrating and depressing. But I'll just try to work on improving in another area.

I hate getting sick. I've been 3 days without exercise, 1 rest day followed by 2 sick days. Tomorrow I'll give it a try, that one will be appreciated for the sake of movement! :D

Lorrie,
I am NO WHERE NEAR the advanced state of fitness that you have achieved, probably because I just go along and do what I can do :p! When I did STS I advanced throughout the program. It was thrilling and made me feel like I was getting a good return on my efforts. Since then (a year ago), I have had what I thought was PF (now I think it's a trigger point issue with my soleus) and I cannot give it all I have. I just finished doing a rotation that combined cardio and weights during the same session which I have not done before. I found it very difficult to lift the load I was used to right after doing cardio. There was one workout where I actually had to drop down from the weight I had used the previous time :confused:! Sometimes the lack of progress really bugs me (especially when everyone around me is hitting their goals with the greatest of ease), but then I realistically evaluate myself and usually find that I could have given a bit more; I could have focused on form more, or slowed the reps down, or gritted out a few less reps for the sake of adding 1/2 pound more. That's when I know I have to change things up a bit and do something new (new rotation, use a new "toy"). It is excruciatingly difficult for me to gain and keep muscle but I keep plugging away at it! I realize that for me I will have lulls in the state of my progress and when they come along I slap myself back from the dream and get busy working!!!!
(It was actually reassuring somehow to read that someone as accomplished as yourself deals with these issues too :eek:!)

Interesting topic!! I personally lift for the look I get from it. I know, I know....maybe a bit vain :eek: I do like the feeling of being strong and being able to say that I can lift, but I have no desire to say I can do a 100# bench press or anything like that. Heck if I got to 50# I might just think I'm a super star...hehe!!

As long as I can lift the groceries, help my husband move the couch if needed, pick up my granddaughter....I'm happy :D Oh and if I look good in my tank top....even better :D

In terms of cardio...I do like to be able to say that I can do a workout like CrossFire, but I don't feel like I need to be at super athlete fitness. Again, being able to do the day to day activites with the kids is really good enough. And the cardio means I can have french fries every now and then ;)

Interesting topic!! I personally lift for the look I get from it. I know, I know....maybe a bit vain :eek: I do like the feeling of being strong and being able to say that I can lift, but I have no desire to say I can do a 100# bench press or anything like that. Heck if I got to 50# I might just think I'm a super star...hehe!!

As long as I can lift the groceries, help my husband move the couch if needed, pick up my granddaughter....I'm happy :D Oh and if I look good in my tank top....even better :D

In terms of cardio...I do like to be able to say that I can do a workout like CrossFire, but I don't feel like I need to be at super athlete fitness. Again, being able to do the day to day activites with the kids is really good enough. And the cardio means I can have french fries every now and then ;)

I like the way you think!;)

I keep track and try to add 1/2 to 1 lb to my weight for an exercise over time (for small muscle groups) or 2-5 lbs (for large muscle groups), slowly increasing weight so as not to injure myself. I enjoy the progress, BUT
at some point I find I sort of max out. SO the question I've always pondered it whether or not there is a point at which you can no longer lift heavier?

Best,
-Michele

When I was younger, it used to bother me.

Now that I'm 50, I am grateful I can keep up w/Cathe -- cardio-wise---for the most part. Strength-wise, I don't have the genetics to go as heavy as I wish, but for an old chick, I'm very, very strong.

I think it's important to focus on doing the best you can, given the current state of your body. Having experienced more than my share of athletic injuries over the years, I was always happy to be keep moving while I was recovering. It's funny, too, how injuries and having to explore different activities/regimes while you recover can help you find new passions or even make you stronger (physically and mentally) than you expected.

Actually, I think most of us who post to these forums are in better shape than the average 23 year old American female. Lorrie---you are in awesome shape, so don't be so hard on yourself. I hope that hamstring gets better soon.

Very interesting topic Lorrie :).

I'm at the point in my life where I want to progress; both mentally & physically. I love to weight train (mostly heavy:eek:) because it gives me confidence, empowerment, strength. These feelings trickle down into my everyday life, not just in the weight room. Of course I want to look good in a bathing suit ;) but that's not all I care about anymore. My training goals are to knock out unassisted pull-ups (I can do 2 so far!), lift heavier, increase my push-ups counts and/or add harder variations, squat my body weight. Anything that will allow me to see all the awesome things my body is capable of! And yes, the A-type competitive personality in me get's frustrated when I can't progress, especially when I KNOW I have been giving 110% :mad:. But you know what? I'm OK with that. At the end of the day, I don't beat myself up about it. I just want to be the best ME possible, enjoy life, have fun, kick some butt :eek:;):D.

Natasha

Lorrie,
Sorry to hear about your hammy injury. DH has been nursing one of those and it has been one of the most frustrating things ever for him. I hope you have a smooth recovery.

This is a great thread!

I also tend to set goals and get frustrated that I'm not achieving them the way I want. This is two-fold for me. I have appearance goals and performance goals. I find the performance goals are easier (but not easy) to achieve relative to the appearance goals. This has caused me to adjust the way I think about my appearance relative to my fitness level.

I try to set goals that have to do with my capabilities, and not what others have, so that helps keep me on track. Like you said, Lorrie, even though you can lift heavier than most women, you're not lifting as heavy as *you* want to lift. That usually helps me redouble my efforts so that I can achieve my goals. I like the feeling of accomplishment that comes from that.

I try not to beat myself up about it, but I may decide to really focus on changing up my workouts so that I am to really give a laser focus to that objective.

So, in this case, I would probably start adding more chest work so that I *could* bench whatever it was that I was expecting/hoping I could do.

Eva

I just do what I can...

:eek: I got sick last year and gained weight when I couldn't work out. Had to start from somewhere this year and decided to just be consistent with the weights and gradually add in cardio.
I have been very patient these past 3-4 months and I can see some pretty good results from the Burn sets and LB trisets. I pause Trisets a lot and do it at my own pace. I find these set of workouts are what I enjoy.
I recently started Les Mills Combat while trying to squeeze in Burn Sets and Lower body. On my third week the arms started looking real nice and I could definitely notice the improvement in core stability and push ups.
It annoys me that my scale keeps telling me I'm heavy/heavier...but the mirror and clothes look better.
It still annoys me, but I just swear at it.

I lift what I can. Some days,I'm not quite as strong. I certainly can't lift as much after night shifts. Or when I'm hungry or if I did cardio right before.
One of the reasons I haven't attempted the rep max thing.

It used to really bug me when I had a bad "lift" or cardio day. Now, at 50, and recently diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis of the knees I am just grateful I get through a w/o. There are so many great w/o I had to give up due to this arthritis and will never be able to do again, so take your recovery time and heal your injury so you don't end up like me. I have started doing the low impact w/o and enjoy them, but I really miss w/o like crossfire, TTM, and my favorite CLB. It is so frustrating knowing that I won't be able to do them anymore. I hate modifying so I know if I put the dvd in my player I will attempt the high impact and then my knee won't be happy.

Wow. One storm comes in and knocks out the 'puter and LOOK at all of your brilliant insights that I missed. You all are a wise crowd indeed. I guess what I find so frustrating is that I am now wondering if I have maxed out. :( I'll be 50 next week and up until a few weeks ago my lifts were on track to meet my heaviest goals. At 190, I fell just shy of my 200# ass-to-grass squat. At 265, I'm likewise 10# shy of my 275# deadlift goal. Both of these use the hammie, so in mixing it up do add in chest this week, as I said I fell shy. I did 130# 3 times, but couldn't get 135# all the way down to "the girls" and back up.

So my frustration lies in wondering - have I maxed out? It frustrates me a lot, but in dealing with some of these injuries that I know take time and patience to heal, I DO find my mindset shifting somewhat to just sucking up the sheer joy of moving and lifting what I can - because I can. But I guess that's the joy of Cathe, and of fitness, yes? It's an interesting mind analysis for me right now. I so totally appreciate all of the great insight you all offer. :D:D:D

So...let's just say you have maxed out? So what? For me THAT'S the 64 million dollar question. Same for me with my primary motivation being the way I look. What if I can't get washboard abs or all the cellulite off my legs? Then what?? Ah the struggles we put ourselves through!!

Lorrie

You look fantastic. I've been lifting weights for years and have not come close to looking anywhere near as good as you. The gains you have made are amazing. I suppose it is possible to max out, but even if that's the case the achievements you have made will stay with you for ever. Best wishes.

Hill

At this point in my life, I am doing what I can. I am 51 and just had my hormone levels checked. VERY low in estrogen my level is 3 and normal range is 250!!!!! Progesterone level is <.05 and should be in the 2.0 range. Dr. says she is amazed I am even functioning. I feel very exhausted most days due to night sweats, etc, so right now I am just trying to get in a workout.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.