iMac or Windows -- Help Needed!

Miss Lee

Cathlete
Our PC is about 5 or 6 years old and our OS is XP Professional. We've been having a lot of problems with it -- freezing, shutting down in the middle of projects, etc -- and I'm to the point where the Blue Screen of Death doesn't even scare me anymore -- LMAO! I'm this close to loading up the Smith & Wesson and just shooting the darn thing!

We want to buy a new computer and we're leaning towards an iMac. The only thing holding us back is the new OS, Leopard. I've read some bad reviews which give me pause. I've heard complaints about hanging and freezing, and concerns with security. I'd be interested in hearing from people who run the new OS, and especially from anyone who switched from a PC to an iMac.

TIA!! :)

Hi Michele! I switched to an iMac this summer and haven't looked back. I haven't installed Leopard yet so I can't give you any info about that. I like how you can customize everything (ex: I just fixed my mouse to make it more 'Carolyn friendly' - that's just one example). I guess I would say that everything is more user friendly and more 'organic' feeling(?) with a lot of wireless options, etc. I also use it to create my own music with LogicPro (which I absolutely CANNOT live without). I also love how the computer hardware is in the monitor and it's basically 'plug and play'. Also we don't need the firewall stuff that you need with a PC (but that wasn't my reason for buying it). The Macs are more expensive but I guess you don't have to buy as much security software so maybe that makes up for it.

I will say that I was disappointed that Apple would not ship to APO addresses (which is more than a little insulting to military people and their families - but they do offer military discounts so go figure). Also, the ONE time I had a 'freezing' issue with the Mac that I couldn't resolve on my own, the people at the Apple help center wouldn't help unless we bought their Apple Care Program (which was like $150). Although this may be common practice with other computer companies as well.

Anyway, hope that helps!
Carolyn

Hi Carolyn! Thank you for your detailed reply! It's a relief to hear from someone who made the switch and is happy with the decision. We've never used anything but a PC but I'm so tired of all the problems that seem to be innate with Windows, and I just don't want to mess with it anymore.

I haven't been able to find anyone who upgraded to Leopard yet. Most of the reviews are positive but there seem to be some glitches, as with any new OS, that haven't been worked out yet. There's an authorized Apple store not far from us and we're going there today. I wonder if you can still get a Mac with the old OS?

By the way, it irks me that they don't ship to APO addresses. I think the whole of America should do everything in it's (our) power to make life a little easier on our military! Almost every dollar we donated this year went to the military -- especially the wounded and their families.

Hi. I just got an iMac 20" yesterday and am very discouraged by the lack of quality of the monitor. The text is faded on just about every other letter and the text flickers when scrolling up or down a page. I looked at the Apple forums and found many threads about this problem. Apparently, it is very common and there isn't a fix for it.

Aside from that, the machine is wonderful. I just switched from a PC w/XP too. I am returning this one and am not sure if I will exchange or buy a cheap PC to get me through until Apple corrects the monitor issue.

HTH,

Michelle

I have always avoided MAC as I see Steve Jobs and Apple as a company worse than Microsoft.

When you buy an Apple you have hardware and os built by Apple. The cost of which is higher than that of a PC for similar performance. Then you're also locked in for Apple hardware upgrades. Everything is Apple or licensed by Apple

Granted most PCs come with Windows which isn't the best os either. Most PC hardware is non proprietary which means you can go just about anywhere and buy anything for it.

My choice is to build the PC using parts shopped from many retailers. For my os I would use Ubuntu Linux.

I don't understand why people lock themselves into proprietary systems when there is so much open source out there.

I cannot believe I had the nerve to post here on this thread being the total computer dunce.;(

But I love my Mac, our companies creative team uses only Mac as the graphics programs are beyond compare. For basic stuff, I like that its "user friendly" never really had problems with it, just your annoying things like your home network crashing and stuff!:)

Dave, your post had me scratching my head in dismay, didn't understand a word of it!:7 You sound like a techie for sure, I wish I was, I am still trying to figure out how to create picture folders and transport them to photobucket!x(

After having 2 Dells crash beyond repair (this is after $1000 in repair costs) and Sony Vaio that's already had $500 in repairs, my next computer will be a Mac. Yes, Macs cost more, but the cost to repair PCs more than makes up for the cost of attempting to fix them, not to mention the downtime, lost data files and general aggravation. I'll also buy the Apple protection plan, because my experience at the Apple store Genius Bar with ipods tells me it's well worth it.

The spam, spyware, malware, viruses, etc that clog up PCs just kill them! Yes, I have antivirus and antispam software, run sweeps and disc defragmentations regularly but I'm convinced that the average PC is no better built than the average dvd player, which I go through regularly as well.

I wish I were as gifted technically as Dave, but I'm not.

ETA that I'll buy a refurbished Imac from the Apple online store because the deals can be really good! I bought my DS a refurbished, previous generation classic ipod (30 gb) for only $159 for xmas!

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

WOO HOO!! I'm checking in with my brand new MacBook Pro :D . I was going to get an iMac, but after playing around with the MacBook I decided I liked it better. The iMac has a glossy screen which killed my eyes. The MacBook Pro gives you the option for a matte finish on the screen which I like a lot better. I do agree with Dave about this much -- these contraptions are outrageously expensive, but if it spares me the aggravation I experienced with my PC then it's worth it's weight in gold!

Dave, I might have made a different choice if I had your expertise.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I actually checked this thread from the store to see what sage advice y'all had to offer :D

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to spend the evening playing with my new toy :)

Glad you like it! I am writing on my Macbook with Leopard. Haven't had any problems. I love it; you made a good choice. We have an imac, a macbook, a macbook pro, and a Mac G5 in addition to a brand new PC. The ONLY computer than we ever yell at is the PC. My husband is a big computer person (mostly graphics, but also animation, music, programming, etc). Have fun- I find I can figure out almost anything on my own on the Mac.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.