I screwed up at work!!! :(

amyg

Cathlete
Augh. I HATE screwing up!!! I was supposed to keep this guy's address private, but I sent an email to him and another person. He wrote back in all caps. Whoops! I thought it was just the street address to keep secret!!! :( Now I've got to deal with that at work when I go back tomorrow. That sucks!!!

This isn't a really big deal somehow, is it? I honestly thought it was just the street address, to prevent anyone from "hunting" him down or something. Yikes!!

And to make it worse, he didn't answer the question I emailed him! He'll now only answer if I send him a question through snail mail. Crap. My boss isn't going to be happy about it, since he's the one who told me to keep his information private!! Augh.

I hate that feeling as well. He sounds like a demanding client. I would send him a little card with a personal apology and explain the mistake. I would also be very open with my boss. Cut it off at the pass so to speak.

Good luck and try not to sweat it too much.

I agree that a personal apology would be nice. Also just letting him (& your boss) know that you misunderstood thinking they meant his home street address. Sorry you are feeling soo bad. I'm sure all will be fine tomorrow. Good Luck!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

I'm sorry that you're feeling so bad Amy. We ALL make mistakes or unknowingly get caught up in misunderstandings, even your boss and the fella whose address was erroneously revealed.

The direct approach is best when attempting to smooth out a mistake, people are usually caught off guard by this. Try to approach both parties as soon as you can with a heartfelt 'mea culpa' and apology, it's really all that you can do. Once that's done you can get back to business.

Take Care
Laurie:)

I agree with what everyone else has said. Don't stress over it - what's done is done. We all make mistakes and if you send the personal apology showing that you are truly sorry I'm sure there won't be any hard feelings. Good luck tomorrow and keep us posted.

I totally know how you feel and I think we've all been there and made mistakes like that. Ugh, it's a crappy feeling. I agree with everyone that you should tell your boss first thing and then address it with the person in whatever way is appropriate. I find that I sometimes anticipate things to be much worse than they turn out to be in the end. Try to keep your mind off of it until the morning and get a good night's rest. Let us know what happens, we'll be sending you our good vibes.

I know how you feel, I think everyone has done something similar in their lifetime or will, so don't feel alone. I would most definitely apologize in person if at all possible or on the phone. Remember, you are only human and not perfect, everyone makes mistakes.

Chin up,
Marcia.

Oh Amy! I HATE when I do things like that! Your boss will forgive you - if he/she is human at all, but take action first, like everyone else said. I'd do both a phone call and a letter of apology. Explain very briefly why you thought what your were doing was right, but definitely do the whole mea culpa thing and don't dwell on what you thought was right. Then let him know what steps you'll take to prevent that from happening again, and personally give him your assurance that any information he does not want to be let out, will not be let out. For the phone call - write down what you want to say first. It's better that it sound reheresed then it sound frazzled. Copy your boss on any correspondance. This has worked for me as a manager when others have messed up - and as a human when I have...

HUGS sweetie... You're a good person. You just made a mistake.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}:+

I have nothing to add to the great advice you've already been given, except to assure you that I have been there too, and I know you can resolve this in a manner that can elevate you in the eyes of your boss. It's not just a cliche--we really do learn more from our mistakes. You're so smart and personable and I'm sure your boss sees you as an asset to his office.

Michele:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.