I guess I'm being a little corny

fab40

Cathlete
I am very happy how so many people have discovered Cathe and are loving her workouts as much as I do. Now that she is on Fit Tv, it seems everyone can't get enough of her. I remember not too long ago when few people seemed to know who she was. When people ask me what I do to keep in shape, I always say "Cathe." And the response would be, "who is that?" My reply is always, "a well kept secret." (I say jokingly, of course :7 ) As much as I am happy for Cathe's success, I know that in a few years everyone will know who she is. I guess that's ok, because there will be more people to share the love of Cathe with. But sometimes, there's a side of me that doesn't want anyone else to know who she is. Does anyone else share my weirdness or am I really out in left field?

I too am happy for Cathe's sussess but I am so happy to read your post. I feel that way too sometimes and I always think that I am weird for feeling that way.

Joanne

Hi fab40,

I remember a discussion on this forum a long time ago about this subject. As I recall, people dicussed how Cathe deserved more credit for her work. Also, how a higher visibility would effect her workouts and the personal connection with forum members. Pretty accurate discussion if I remember correctly.

Things are changing slowly as the business grows. It is hard to make it in this business from what I hear. I am just happy that she is successful and able to continue. I do understand your feelings. I have always liked things around here and still do. Cathe fills a small niche. I hope that she will stay an advanced instructor, as there are already many beginner options for home workouts. I hope that beginners won't overdo and then put the blame on Cathe workouts. As for the forum, well I do hope it stays tight knit and supportive.

I welcome the good that comes from change, as well as, all the new members.

jordan

Not meaning to sound like a snob, but it sometimes feels like our little club is being invaded.

I am thrilled for Cathe's success, as well, but I liked being exclusive.

Sometimes I think it isn't "fair" (for lack of a better word) that everybody else can just jump in and doesn't have to go back to Step Heat or the Wedding Tape and work their way up. I do feel lucky to have grown with Cathe and to have contributed to her success!

Just my thoughts - don't want to offend anybody or start any wars.

Another weirdo here.

I feel if I tell certain people who Cathe is and she's the reason I enjoy working out enough more than ever and have achieve the results I'm getting, they will still never purchase her dvd.

Haydee

While my own "Intro To Cathe" was Interval Max 1 back in fall 2000, and I did not "work my way up" from Step Heat or the Wedding Tape, I do feel there can be some unintended consequences to Cathe's newfound popularity through Fit-TV and that bozo Art Carey's column.

What gets my personal goat is someone who buys Cathe's products (which are always clearly billed as "advanced" in intensity and are oriented toward the seasoned exerciser) and immediately asks for a million downward-intensity modifications. There was a real flame-fest a couple of years ago that was spawned by someone asking - quite aggressively - for Cathe to use her crew to demonstrate more moderate variations of moves during each workout, and not-so-subtly implying that by NOT doing so Cathe was limiting her market.

Well . . . Cathe herself defined her niche in this market as an advanced workout producer. And if you don't like the way these workouts are produced, find another moderate producer. There are a million of 'em.

A-Jock

I totally agree with A-Jock as well.

I was just thinking about this the other day and was going to post on how many new people there are to Cathe on Fit-TV. It is weird - cause I get such a sense of pride when I see her program on Fit-TV. And yea - there are those feelings that our little club is getting innodated. But I know as when I found this forum a few years ago and all the wonderful people and information in it - that they can only be impressed by her support and what she has built.

I have sent several people the links to the pics for the Hardcore series - and always with the "I know I am weird - but I am sooo excited" :)

Cant wait!!

Anne :D

I have similiar feelings. I remember my first Cathe tape was the Wedding video and I just stood there saying out loud "what the f#&$???" It took a long time to master it but once I did, there was no looking back. I'm glad that she's had new found success, but I'm not too worried about overexposure. Many of my friends now know who she is, but none of them have any desire to buy her workouts, let alone do them on FitTV, because they don't want to deal with all the equipment and they're not into the intensity.

For those who are feeling weird because they value Cathe for the intensity of her products:

What's weird is the mentality of the vast majority of the able-bodied who want the health and aesthetic benefits of a productive and vigorous workout program WITHOUT WORKING OUT;

What's weird is the mentality of couch potatoes who would rather watch overpaid, over-steroided boneheads pummel each other on ESPN than get off their butts and move a little bit themselves;

What's weird is the mentality of people who say they don't have the money to invest in a fitness program, BUT they have the money for cable TV, cell phone, second cars to ride two blocks to the store in, as well as the money to cough up for expensive drugs that attempt damage control for lifestyle-generated health disorders;

What's weird is the mentality of people who say they don't have the time to invest in a fitness program, BUT they have the time to watch TV, go to the movies, recreation-shop, AND go to doctors who attempt damage control for lifestyle-generated health disorders;

What's weird is people who would rather torture themselves with freak short-term diet schemes, diet drugs and other bizarre alternatives up to and including bariatric surgery, rather than adopt simple and doable lifestyle changes;

What's weird is the fact that WE'RE considered weird, for valuing intensity and for valuing each others' companionship in the process.

Remember - there are a lot of crazy associations out there, up to and including The International Man-Boy Love Society. If valuing intense exercise, if admiring an intense exercise producer, and if enjoying each other's company is "weird", I say piss on "normal".

A-Jock

To all of you long time Cathe-ites, I hear you and can totally empathize, even though I'm a recent sign-on. Here's why. I started with the Firm back in 1985 with Susan Harris. Even before the second video was made I ordered it pre-production and so on and so on. I had true appreciation for the Firm's committment to me and mine to them. I'll never forget the day I saw a Time-Life infomercial for my precious Firm workouts - I felt like they sold me out. And now guess what? You can buy the Firm at Target! UGH! Yes - my early on exclusive club went mass market and mass money - and I hated it.

So I know and appreciate how you feel. I am one of the ones who is new to Cathe, and she is an amazing find. I've never been this challenged and seen such results. But I will never have that appreciation for her early stuff the way you all do. I just want to say thank you though. Because without all of your early committment she may not have gotten here for the rest of us to find her now. And unlike the Firm, I don't envision Cathe's products going lower in quality. She's too good.

To all of you long time Cathe-ites, I hear you and can totally empathize, even though I'm a recent sign-on. Here's why. I started with the Firm back in 1985 with Susan Harris. Even before the second video was made I ordered it pre-production and so on and so on. I had true appreciation for the Firm's committment to me and mine to them. I'll never forget the day I saw a Time-Life infomercial for my precious Firm workouts - I felt like they sold me out. And now guess what? You can buy the Firm at Target! UGH! Yes - my early on exclusive club went mass market and mass money - and I hated it.

So I know and appreciate how you feel. I am one of the ones who is new to Cathe, and she is an amazing find. I've never been this challenged and seen such results. But I will never have that appreciation for her early stuff the way you all do. I just want to say thank you though. Because without all of your early committment she may not have gotten here for the rest of us to find her now. And unlike the Firm, I don't envision Cathe's products going lower in quality. She's too good.

A little off subject, but I know what you mean. I have a mentality of, I don't want everybody to know about Cathe, because she is my secret. It's sort of the same way with the British version of What Not to Wear. These girls are the best, and know how to clothe a person to their best advantage. They just taped a pilot for ABC. I thought OH NO, how am I going to stand out and look great in my clothing when everybody else will know the "rules". It's a little bizarre to think that way, but I think it is normal to want to set yourself apart.

NurseLRT - I love Trinnie and Susanna!!

You know, I'm not worried about people knowing who Cathe is or people knowing about the What Not to Wear rules. There is a ton of great information out there that can transform anyone's life. And yet, only an elite few take advantage of it and actually apply it in their everyday lives. Most people just don't want to do the work.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.