how do you know if your ready?

runfree

Cathlete
for a change? I have been working at the same place since I was 18 yrs old with the exception of leaving to get my degree. I was offered a job making more money almost 3.00 more an hr and I feel that maybe its time to move on since the facility I work at is so demanding ,not the company I work for, we are contracted out but the facility hasnt changed in all the y rs I have been there. they are very demanding and it is very stressful at times and the other job I wouldnt have half of the stress that I have in my current job.The hard thing is that I have been there so long that I am scared of leaving,worried that aI will regret it. I am comortable there but sick of alot of the crap that we have to deal with so how do you know if you are ready for a change"?

I don't really want to give you advice here, because it's obviously a decision you need to make for yourself, but I will say that I have seen many many people sort of "stuck" in a situation -- they don't realize things could be a lot different/better? if they made a change. Usually, *usually*, people don't regret making a move like that -- it's tough to have the courage sometimes, but once the move is made, a lot of times people wonder why they didn't do it sooner......

good luck with it!

-Beth

For me I think and ponder and stress myself about it for months until I just wake up one morning "ready". I just know then that its time (for whatever the current situation happens to be). ..and there is no more pondering and comparing pros/cons.. im just ready to do it..
However I must mention that this is not the best time for most of us to be thinking about those changes.. in other words consider the current state of the ecomony and that many people are losing their jobs that they've had for years even.. (im bringing it up out of personal experience with job changing at the wrong time).. so keep that in mind when looking around and making any decisions.
Good luck :)

I think this is a totally personal decision that you'll need to make on your own, but I can say that it's very easy to get "comfortable" and miss out on a lot.

I worked for the same firm for 16 years. I was happy there, loved my work, loved the people I worked with even though there was of course crap that I hated too. I was very very comfortable. Then the firm moved an hour south and I didn't want to commute that far -- but I did anyway, because I was very very comfortable, and the idea of changing jobs seemed like to much, since I was so comfortable. I commuted 2 hours a day for 6 months. Hating it more and more as we entered our rainy season -- and I decided it was time for a change.

Now 10 months later I can honestly say it was a great decision, even if it was very scary. There are things I truly miss about my old job, truly. But I enjoy my new job, the change is wonderful and the people are just as great.

You have to do what is best for you -- but don't be afraid of change -- there are bound to be things you will miss from your current job, but there are also bound to be new things that are wonderful too.

If you're entertaining the idea of a new job, you're probably already ready. I stayed with the same job right after school for 8 years---but a situation made it uncomfortable---so I gave it a month to improve, it didn't,....so I moved on. Not just moved on----moved myself, husband, and three children 6 hours north to the Canadian border. We really like it up here alot,...to find that my new job wasn't what I expected. I fulfilled my contract,...then began another new job just 2 weeks ago. I think I'll be content here. I went to school a really long time, why settle for a mediocre job?!? I'm better than that--I want a GREAT job.

With that, change sucks. That's why people stay at jobs they are unsatisified with. There are risks in all journey's to success. The secret is to know the right time to take that risk. What do you have to lose at this point? What is there to gain? Could you/would you go back to this job if the new job was not what you expected?

Talking with HR to find out how badly they would like to keep you. You'd be suprised to find how many places that may you 5 to 10 bucks more and hour----just for asking. At this point, you begin to market yourself to your employeers---to gain a much as possible.

I am currently traveling about75 miles one-way to my job. But has it been worth it in the long run? My new job allows me to work 3= 10 shifts. The time I'm on the road (5.5 hours) is well served, if i can have the other four days of the week to be for my family.

Long, drawn out, I know,....

When I'm thinking about a job change, I always sit down and write a pro/con list. It really helps to see (literally on paper) the good and bad of your current situation. The big thing for me is challenge and what I can get out of a job. If I'm no longer learning anything new and there is no challenge then I start looking. I also weigh in benefits and people I work with.

It's really a personal decision though. I work with someone in our corporate office who won't leave because as she says "I know my demons here" but she is allowing herself to be taken advantage of. It's really sad because she is so stressed out and her healthy is suffering. I know that change is very hard but in the end, it's worth it.

thanks for all the advice, when it comes down to it ,its really about me being afraid of change I think though it will be less stressful and I think I have come close to deciding to take the job. thanks again.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.