How cool is this-skype wifi phone!

pixiesis

Cathlete
I mentioned this briefly on Kathryn's cell phone thread, but I think this deserves its own thread because it is SO FREAKIN' COOL. So my dad just got a skype wifi phone. It works by connecting to any open wifi network. So, you can use it as a home phone with wireless internet, and as a mobile phone when you can pick up a hotspot. Actually, the range is pretty great. We could stay connected to our home wifi from a decent distance-meaning we could use it as a cell phone when we're just running around our little town. Otherwise we'd have to be near an open wifi connection to use it this way.

So my dad just called me from the post-office using the phone. In his tiny, rural town he had several hotspots to choose from. In fact, he could call my sister's skype number in Germany right now for absolutely free.

Skype software is free to download, you don't need a contract (although they do offer a subscription service), and it's free to call other skype numbers. You can put money on your account to call non-skype numbers-and the money goes a really long way. For now I'd still want a cell phone for travel, but eventually I can imagine this replacing cell phones AND home phones, and being so much cheaper. Neat huh?

Amy, it is VERY COOL! I first heard about skype from Clark Howard's radio program a couple of years ago. We looked into it but ended up not getting it. I can't remember why we thought it wouldn't work for us, but maybe we should revisit this option.

My boss has one of these too. Of course, most of the time he can't figure out how to work it. What can I say... he's old:p

Skype is pretty much my lifeline. I honestly think I would be dead broke without it. And that phone is AWESOME! I'm not sure there are a lot of open networks in my little German town, but I'll for sure be getting this puppy when we move back to the states. In fact, DH is going to be deployed so this could REALLY come in handy!! :)

Carolyn

>In fact, DH is going to be deployed so this could
>REALLY come in handy!! :)

Have you had any more confirmation lately? I don't like this!

No Amy. But it's probably going to happen - we're just not sure about how long yet. I don't like it either. :-(

Carolyn

{{{{{Carolyn}}}}}

I don't know what to say, and I wouldn't like it either. You know you always have your forum friends and you can come here for support or any time you need to vent. It may not be of much comfort, but I truly and deeply respect and appreciate your DH for his service, and you, too. I believe your sacrifice is as great as his! ;)

>{{{{{Carolyn}}}}}
>
>I don't know what to say, and I wouldn't like it either. You
>know you always have your forum friends and you can come here
>for support or any time you need to vent. It may not be of
>much comfort, but I truly and deeply respect and appreciate
>your DH for his service, and you, too. I believe your
>sacrifice is as great as his! ;)

Thanks for that Michele - you're too sweet :*
DH is a medical person and his services are badly needed where ever he goes (Iraq or Afghanistan - not sure yet) and I respect that. I'm sure I'll spend lots of days worrying - and avoiding the news. But it's good to know I can come here and vent if needed.

Carolyn

I've got a stupid question. What's a hotspot?

*♥´¨)
¸ .• ♥ ´¸.•*♥´¨) ¸.♥•*¨)
(¸.•♥´ (¸ ;.♥•Jennie•♥

Smoke free since: 2/05/08

Not a stupid question at all. I'm just pasting a definition I found cuz it's easier! :)

For users of portable computers equipped for wireless, a hot spot (or hotspot) is a wireless LAN (local area network) node that provides Internet connection and virtual private network (VPN) access from a given location. For example, a business traveler with a laptop equipped for Wi-Fi can look up a local hot spot, contact it, and get connected through its network to reach the Internet and their own company remotely with a secure connection. Increasingly, public places, such as airports, hotels, and coffee shops are providing free wireless access for customers.

Skype and Vonage are cool but one warning....

When you call 911 you don't know where that call is going. Don't be so quick to dump the traditional phone yet.

One question:
I was talking to a colleague about this, and she has it on her computer (not phone). She pronounces it "SKY-pee", while I would think it would be "skipe" (rhyming with "hype").

Kathryn, you're right it does rhyme with "hype". My dad, whose way with words is original, says "sypes". Now that's wrong! ;-)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.