Healthy Body Calculator Update

nancy324

Cathlete
The other day, Jacque posted about a Healthy Body Calculator website. I tried it and it told me that in order to maintain I should be eating about 1370 calories per day. That sounded too low to me. Yesterday, I was in a book store reading Jillian Michael's book called Master Your Metabolism. It looked like a very good book, but it also had a table showing that a petite, moderately active woman should take in 1200-1400 calories per day in order to maintain a healthy weight. There was a comment which went something like "make sure not to eat less than 800 per day or your body will go into starvation mode".

Has the world gone bonkers? I don't actually count calories on a daily basis anymore, but I know what I eat every day. At times when I feel I want to lose a pound or two, I cut back to about 1500-1800 per day, and I'm back to normal in no time. Obviously, I need even more calories to maintain. Did the science of calories change while I wasn't looking? That's a real question. I admit I don't usually pay much attention to this stuff.

Just curious.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.