Having Problems Getting Back to it

Kristine36

Cathlete
I've been taking exercise breaks (haven't worked out for several days, and took a 6 day hiatus before that) and I'm wondering if it's just the holidays, or...?

I have a strange feeling everyone else is experiencing the opposite problem, but I'm a slug right now and I'm finding it hard to work out. When the Intensity Series arrives, I'll be in no condition to attempt it, although of course I'll try.

Just wondering if anyone else gets this way around this time of year, or maybe it's me? I need self restraint and control and discipline, and I'm not finding it anywhere, it's like that one lost sock you never find.

Kristine:

I hear you!

I am this week getting back into the swing of things again, but before that I had an unplanned two week break, and this at the end of a Fall semester of total weeks on, weeks off due to a variety of factors (sickness, anxiety attacks, work load, family life), it all conspires against me somtimes.

So right now I am starting to feel better but am still kicking myself because I was so into my training before this unscheduled break, my body felt like a well-oiled machine, energy to spare, eating up those power fifteens for breakfast, and I went from that to slugdom in a matter of days. Sigh...

I have been reading other posts over the last few weeks here at the forums that indicate that to some degree it's a Winter blahs phenomenon.

So, we will all need to do a little soul searching and revamp our mindsets and Winter workout goals. For me, what gets me moving again is the psychological need. I always feel a depression hovering right around the corner or sometimes looming right over me like a Tsunami, and that's the point I stop feeling so "poor little me" and kick my butt into action again. The mood change is drastic and swift. A matter of days.

Of course, having purchased the CTX series recently helped, because it gave the the chance to try something new and inject some freshness into the cardio + weights basic receipe!! So, try the "revising your Winter workout goals" thing, and then dig out some video you haven't done in yonks, switch things around a bit, take your workouts outside and enjoy a blue sky Winter day once in a while. Maybe it will help?

Good luck to you, I'm rooting for you, and me on this one!!!

Clare

You're not alone! By the time I get home from shopping or whatever I'm doing, I just don't feel like working out. I know I should try, but I don't like forcing myself to workout- I want it to be enjoyable (it's psychological). Now, I'm saying this because I know I will soon WANT to workout regularly again. I still get in a little exercise a week just to keep up, but I'm eating my weight in cookies!!

Plus, when I'm not motivated, I usually go take a spinning or aerobics class at the gym to get back into things. The gym is empty this time of the year so a lot of classes are cancelled. But I'm sure it'll be packed in 2003! It's also snowing here which doesn't help!

I think once the holidays are through with, you'll have more time and motivation to get back into things. It may be tough at first, but I bet after your first workout, you'll feel better again. Just set a date- maybe this Monday or Jan 1st and set out your workout clothes and video. This will give you a few more days to get relax. Sometimes I make little exercise logs so I try harder to get in my workouts.

Good luck!

If I've had even 4-5 days off from step when I go at it again the mental lift and positive psychological benefits are sooooo worth it. Go for it, do the step, it WILL improve things a lot.

Edith
;-)

I always slack this time of year as well. I workout early in the morning. I think my problem is it is cold and dark and I just want to stay in bed with my husband and stay warm. My motivator is my summer clothes. I try them on in january and see how they are fitting. If they fit really well, it gives me motivation to keep going (how depressing would that be if my summer clothes fit in January, but not in may). If they are snug, I know what i have to do to get back into them. Going shopping and seeing the swim suits trickle into the stores is also a great motivator. One thing i don't do is slack for long. It would be really easy for me to get out of the rythmn of exercising.

Kim

Hi, Kristine! I gutted thru a mild December slump myself, but feel myself roaring back to life now that the holidays are over.

IMHO, a good trick for you to try is NOT to start working out with any "rotation" or results-based goals, but simply to pull out ALL of your fave workouts and just do 'em 'cause you enjoy 'em. Just give yourself a couple of Workout-4-Fun weeks, and I'll bet YOU come roaring back to life as well!

Just a suggestion -

A-jock
Been There

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.