Has this happened to you? And what do you do about it?!

kirsten777

Cathlete
Hi all!

I'm new to the forum, but have been doing Cathe's workouts since January. I have been working out solidly, ie: 5 days/week, for about 1 hour/day, step and moderate weights, since last June. I have lost 40 lbs and need to lose about 65 more. My problem is, that for the last 2 months I feel like I am getting weaker and weaker. Like I am losing stamina or something (that may be the wrong word). My legs are exhausted halfway through the warm-ups (Low Max, Low Impact Circuit), but I plow on, and have to take walking in place breaks more and more from just past mid-point to the end.

This is the reasoning I have come up with so far:

1) I'm expecting too much too soon with all my excess weight, and maybe shouldn't be trying such intense workouts.

2) There is something medically wrong with me, though I can't imagine what!

3) Or maybe I should do more weights and less cardio, like, Low Max or Low Impact circuit M/W/F and weights only on T/Th and off Sa/Su.

I don't know, I'm at a loss and getting very frusterated. Any advice that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for listening!
Kirsten

Hi Kirsten & welcome!

The first thing that comes to my mind is nutrition. Are you eating enough calories and are they the right kind of calories? I notice a huge difference in my self (and even my kids) when I'm eating the right foods. Make sure you're getting enough sleep too. Yeah, I say get good sleep. It's almost midnight and I'm still working, just taking a break here for a minute!

Good luck!

Good thoughts - are you also allowing your body some good breaks/rests? Sometimes I really want to work out, but my body aches and I'm so, so tired, that I take a day off, and the next day do something mild, and I am usually ready to go again. Depending on where you live, allergies could also be a problem now (it is for me.) My theory is that I am not taking in enough air in general, then I work out and breathe even harder, and it exhausts me. Some days, breathing is hard work! It would seem that my muscles/body are not getting the oxygen they need on the bad days, and that wears me out. As soon as these lagustrums quit blooming... That may be a bunch of hogwash - just me trying to figure out my body :) Also, drink plenty of water. Since this is just happening though, you are probably already doing that. BTW, congrats on the awesome job you are doing with the weight loss!!

Also, I would make sure you are doing good weight workouts and taking some breaks from those tough cardio ones. They are hard work! I think a lot of people here do them just a few times a week. Personally, I found that if I did too much of the intense Cathe cardio workouts, I felt sluggish. If I don't overdo them, and supplement with biking (my favorite thing) and power walking, (in addition to good weight workouts), I feel much better.

I agree with Shana. It sounds like you might be overtraining. Overtraining can be a tricky thing. For some people, they can train 7 days a week and be fine, but for others, 4 intense days can lead to overtraining (feeling unmotivated, tired, bored with your workouts, achy, trouble sleeping, twitching eye muscles, etc). Of course you will develop more stamina over time, but you MUST listen to your body. It sounds to me like its begging you for more of a break. I would start incorporating rest WEEKS into your schedule every 3 months or so. On those weeks you can take walks, do yoga/pilates - light stuff. This helps your mind and body recover so you can attack your workouts with more energy. Your body will thank you for it.
I think we all go through periods of overtraining and for some reason, it's hard to diagnose it for ourselves. This has definitely happened to me.

Carolyn

ETA: I realized it sounded like I was advising you to take more than one week off at a time. What I meant was, I think you should take a rest week.

I agree with Shana and Carolyn. As soon as I read your post, I thought it sounded like you needed a rest. Take a week off doing some light workouts that were already suggested. Give your body the rest it needs and see if that helps you.

Let us know if you decide to take the rest and if it helps.

RE: Has this happened to you? And what do you do about ...

You guys are awesome!! Thanks so much for the advice. I think you all are right, that my body needs a break! I think I will just do light yoga and light walking for a week, and then start again, and try not to overdo it. I haven't taken a break in 10 months (I just actually counted months!) no wonder my body is shrieking at me! I agree with Carolyn, that I should start taking week long breaks about every 3 months. I really also need to look at my nutrition, I don't eat a lot of garbage, (preservative laden food), but I definitely need more fresh fruits and veggies.

Thanks again everyone!
Kirsten:D

RE: Has this happened to you? And what do you do about ...

> I
>should start taking week long breaks about every 3 months.

Taking 1-2 days off (or with 'recovery' type workouts: gentle walks or light yoga) a week would be another option. I just worry that you might go 'all out' for three months, taking yourself to the brink of overtraining, before taking the week off, rather than rationing your recovery on a more regular basis.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.