Has anyone here had a partial hystrectomy - if so, workouts -

RachelleS

Cathlete
how soon were you able to exercise, what exercises did you start off with - I'm trying to have an idea in my head of what to expect even though I know everyone is so different. I'm trying to hit it hard between now and December 13th when I'm having the surgery and I added pilates into the mix too hoping it will help my strength. My problem right now is no energy - I did IMAX 2 the other night and couldn't get past the 8th interval and that hasn't happened since I first tried that tape (I think I've been working out with Cathe for almost a year and a half). Thanks for any input you can give me - if you can.

Rachelle

RE: Has anyone here had a partial hystrectomy - if so, ...

Hi:

I had a vaginal hysterectomy last June--took the uterus but left the ovaries. I was very concerned about getting back in to things. My doctor said no weight beyond 25 lbs for 3 weeks so as not to tear the stitches.

I was amazed at how fast I bounced back. I totally credit it with being in good shape--thanks to Cathe.

After they took me off the Demerol that was making me totally nauseous, I felt okay. After a couple of days when the awful gas that they blow you up with dissapated, and my intestines were functioning again, I was completely fine--no pain at all. I tried to take it easy, so as not to push things too hard, but I could do all my regular stuff. I was weak at first, but completely back to normal within 1 week. At 2 weeks, I went with my kids on their bikes for a 2 mile walk. That going well, I started exercising (with my old Firms--starting with Fat Blaster). I also started doing Yoga--I'm so glad I did!!!!! That going well, I started back in with the weights at 3 weeks (again, with Firm tapes). I didn't try Cathe again until the 6 week mark, but it went okay. My heart-rate was about 10 beats/minute higher than usual, and it took a couple of months to get it back down to previous levels, but I still felt the same when working out. Workouts were actually easier because I didn't have any pain any more. . . YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!

In fact, exactly 2 months after my hysterectomy, I climbed a mountain with my husband--the 2nd highest peak in the Wasatch Range.

Everyone's experience is different, and you definitely need to follow your doctor's advice. But you will absolutely benefit from being in good shape and taking care of your body now.

Hope it goes well--keep us posted.

Carol F

Just a little bit of advice--I took a herbal laxative to the hospital with me. I really helped!!!! I learned the hard way with my first child, that getting your bowels working again can be a painful experience with stitches. It's definitely not the time to be constipated. Probably more info than you wanted, but hope it helps.

Hi Rachelle,
First of all I wish you a speedy recovery and good health. I was sore for a while. After about 3 weeks I started with walking only. Then after 6 weeks very light weight work. Within 2 and a half months I was back to my regular workouts by still being careful. It was a year ago Feb and I am stronger than ever. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get back in full swing . It takes time be patient and allow your body to heal.

Best to you,
Susan

What herbal laxative. I use Triphala with magnesium glycinate to keep my diverticulitis at bay!

Hi Rachelle,
My hysterecotmy anniversary was this past Sept, my operation was a year ago. I also had a vaginal hysterectomy, but my doctor said no weight liftin of any kind for eight week(she didn't even want me to lift a grocery bag, for fear of pulling internal stitches). I was very weak, and uncomfortable, only in real pain post op in the hospital. I only needed pain killer the first week or so, and bounced back very quickly, but I listened to all instructions, took everything slow and easy.....I managed to walk our very long driveway by the end of the week. I think that my quick recovery was simply due to the fact I was in really great shape, despite being so sick(I had what I like to call the period that never ended...for like 10 months....just awful!!) But anyway I would say that after the doc gave the okay, I slowly added back Cathe, just modified a bit, and within two months or so, not only had I gotten rid of that pesky period for good, I was feeling stronger than ever. I hope everything goes as smoothly for you!! Take Care, Donna.

Sorry I didn't post a thank you to all that answered my post - a belated thank you to you all.

Surgery went well and I came home Wednesday and was feeling really good. I had a vaginal hyst leaving the ovaries. Everyone couldn't believe how well I got around. I wasn't able to exercise like I thought I would beforehand - I only managed 2 or 3 workouts a week - I just had NOOOO energy. It was soooo not me. I usually DON'T have a lot of energy but I love to exerise anyway but my body just felt worn out big time. So I listened to it and didn't push it. Plus I wasn't able to do anything with my abs. Found out that my uterus and cervix were prolasped (falling away) which my doctor figuers was causing all my problems. I had a really, really crappy Thursday and Friday - when I saw I was bleeding in two places last night, I went into the walk-in clinic and sure enough, I have a bladder infection from the catheter (sp?) so now that I'm on an antibiotic, I'll hopefully be feeling better by Christmas.

I think I'll stick to walking the next six weeks. I too can't do laundry or vacuuming for that whole period and I think walking will be a good thing for my body at this point. My uterus had andedomosis and I was so hoping I would lose a few pounds getting the spongy thing out - it did feel like I finally got rid of Jr. So far, only a few pounds lost. Maybe I'm just really swollen???? HA HA Yeah, since exercise and eating healthy didn't help me lose weight, I'm hoping a hysterectomy does! LOL JK

Thanks again, Rachelle

Rachelle - hope you are feeling well after the surgery.

Try to take it easy as possible for your recovery. In the great scheme of things, 6 weeks off is nothing. If you overdo it you will really feel awful. I am at the 2 month mark - I had an abdominal hyst, plus a prolapsed bladder repair and a lot of vaginal stitching. A total overhaul! I have a bikini scar plus about 100 internal stitches.

I am starting to feel normal and have started Cathe workouts again, but I have decreased my weights to 75% of what I was doing before the surgery. I started at 50%. I haven't done any ab work yet, but that is my goal for January.

Take it slowly!
Melissa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.