Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Talk about anything you like in this forum including other videos you like or dislike.We would like to once again remind everyone that we donít allow posts from people whose end purpose is to sell or promote other companies DVDs. We want open discussion to continue to be used by fitness enthusiast and our customers who want to openly and honestly discuss fitness DVDs, not to be used by other companies to promote their website or sell their products.

Frustration with weight gain

This is a discussion on Frustration with weight gain within the Open Discussion forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; Hi Everyone, I am hoping to get some ideas/suggestions. I am on Weight Watchers (WW) and last year lost 35 ...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 07:59 AM
Cathlete

Default Frustration with weight gain

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping to get some ideas/suggestions.
I am on Weight Watchers (WW) and last year lost 35 pounds on the program to get to goal. I stayed and even got well under goal which was great. Ever since the new year I can't seem to get back into it and have put on 6.5 pounds. If I went to WW and weighed in I would have to start paying again since I am over goal.

I don't understand what is happening as WW doesn't seem to be working anymore. I am weighing my food, counting it out if needed and sticking with the point range. Weekends I am a bit more open but do have those weekly points I can use so I don't totally kill what I have done during the week.

My exercise has been consistent, and went back to what I did last year when I was losing. My exercise looks like this:

M - morning treadmill (45 min); evenings kettlebell
T - morning spinning (45-50 min); evenings yoga
We - morning treadmill; evenings kettlebell
Th - morning spinning; evening yoga
F - morning treadmill
Sat/Sun - kickboxing, kettlebells, yoga (depends on my mood usually one day workout and the next is rest/yoga)

I am thinking about changing up the exercise but am enjoying what I am doing at the moment.

Eating is basically the same during the week:

M-F - breakfast is apple/fruit with 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites (3 points)
M-F - Lunch is cottage cheese, crackers (right now wheat thins, I have had TLC crackers)
(6 points) Lunches can vary but mostly this is it, if we go out it usually is on Fridays and I get a grilled chicken salad or now that lent is upon us it will be an egg white omelet with lots of veggies.
M-F - Snack is either cashews (5 points), or almonds mixed with craisins (6 points)
M-F - dinner is protein (3-5 ounces) and salad (8-10 points)
Sat/Sun is a bit more lax as I like to enjoy my weekends.
If I get hungry, I do have other little healthy snacks if I do get hungry and they are usually 2 points. I do make sure I use up all the points for the day which is 26.

doesn't sound like much and I have checked with myfitnesspal.com to check on calories and each day is around 1250-1300 calories.

So I am trying to figure out what is going wrong this time vs last time.
Anyone have this happen to them or should I try something new.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Rhonda
Old 02-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Catheite

Hi Rhonda-

These are things that worked for me, so YMMV.

Are you eating all of your weekly points and APS? I have found when I am weight loss mode, I have to scale back on eating either weekly points or APs. Conversely, if you are not, try eating them. I am always playing around with my points to keep my body guessing.

Have you tried shaking up when you eat your points? I am thinking of something like using more points for breakfast and fewer for lunch and dinner.

Also, what are you eating on the weekends? For myself, I have found being lax at the weekends results in a stall or a very small loss for that week. I track at the weekend and have a splurge meal on Friday or Saturday.

I also have to change up my workouts to keep my body guessing. Do you have an HRM, so you can calculate your APs? You're lighter now, so you may not be burning as many calories as you did when you were losing weight.

It's kind of pain in the butt, but outside of staying within your points, I also feel like I need to experiment constantly to prevent my body from getting to comfortable with any sort of routine.

I hope this made sense and helped you somewhat.
mini-natty likes this.

Just call me Jen.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Cathlete
tralaiven's Profile Fields

Rhonda,

sounds like you are being diligent. But what I would do is one or all of the following:

-cut out the healthy snacks that you mentioned when you get hungry
-cut out the nuts you mentioned of cashew and almonds.
-cut out any laxity you are giving yourself on weekends.

Last year I hit a tough plateau that I just could not break through when I was doing all the same things that had allowed me to lose 18 pounds. But desperate times call for desperate measures so I amped up my diligence, broke through the plateau and have lost 9 more pounds since then (with 5 more to go).

This is just all my opinion based on personal experience. Sorry for your frustration...been there, done that!

Best wishes.
mini-natty likes this.

Sweat is for those who know it's a choice.

Last edited by tralaiven; 02-23-2012 at 10:26 AM..
Old 02-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Cathlete
RapidBreath's Profile Fields

Try switching to herbal tea for those times when a nibble appeals to you. I have found that if I work through those between meal desires to eat, I lose.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Cathlete

Default My two cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsaros View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am hoping to get some ideas/suggestions.
I am on Weight Watchers (WW) and last year lost 35 pounds on the program to get to goal. I stayed and even got well under goal which was great. Ever since the new year I can't seem to get back into it and have put on 6.5 pounds. If I went to WW and weighed in I would have to start paying again since I am over goal.

I don't understand what is happening as WW doesn't seem to be working anymore. I am weighing my food, counting it out if needed and sticking with the point range. Weekends I am a bit more open but do have those weekly points I can use so I don't totally kill what I have done during the week.

My exercise has been consistent, and went back to what I did last year when I was losing. My exercise looks like this:

M - morning treadmill (45 min); evenings kettlebell
T - morning spinning (45-50 min); evenings yoga
We - morning treadmill; evenings kettlebell
Th - morning spinning; evening yoga
F - morning treadmill
Sat/Sun - kickboxing, kettlebells, yoga (depends on my mood usually one day workout and the next is rest/yoga)

I am thinking about changing up the exercise but am enjoying what I am doing at the moment.

Eating is basically the same during the week:

M-F - breakfast is apple/fruit with 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites (3 points)
M-F - Lunch is cottage cheese, crackers (right now wheat thins, I have had TLC crackers)
(6 points) Lunches can vary but mostly this is it, if we go out it usually is on Fridays and I get a grilled chicken salad or now that lent is upon us it will be an egg white omelet with lots of veggies.
M-F - Snack is either cashews (5 points), or almonds mixed with craisins (6 points)
M-F - dinner is protein (3-5 ounces) and salad (8-10 points)
Sat/Sun is a bit more lax as I like to enjoy my weekends.
If I get hungry, I do have other little healthy snacks if I do get hungry and they are usually 2 points. I do make sure I use up all the points for the day which is 26.

doesn't sound like much and I have checked with myfitnesspal.com to check on calories and each day is around 1250-1300 calories.

So I am trying to figure out what is going wrong this time vs last time.
Anyone have this happen to them or should I try something new.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Rhonda
My take on your situation coming from my YEARS of trying everything to get my weight under control:

1) I think you're exercising too much. You may be setting yourself up for burn-out. Maybe consider exercising once a day, six days a week.
2) Most often it's more about eating too much if you're gaining weight. Are you counting points on your more lax weekend days? Maybe cut back to allowing yourself to be lax only one weekend day per week.
3) How is your eating differing from when you initially lost weight on WW?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Cathlete
TRSTACIE's Profile Fields

Default Plateau

I think you have hit a wall because you aren't changing your workout routine and cross training. Here are a couple of articles talking about it:
Mistakes Runners Make | Running Times Magazine
Getting Off the Training Plateau - Military Fitness - Military.com

Personally, I thought your eating plan looked really good.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Cathlete
tralaiven's Profile Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker View Post
My take on your situation coming from my YEARS of trying everything to get my weight under control:

1) I think you're exercising too much. You may be setting yourself up for burn-out. Maybe consider exercising once a day, six days a week.
2) Most often it's more about eating too much if you're gaining weight. Are you counting points on your more lax weekend days? Maybe cut back to allowing yourself to be lax only one weekend day per week.
3) How is your eating differing from when you initially lost weight on WW?
I totally agree with cakebaker, I didn't notice before how much you are exercising! Last year I had an intense exercise schedule too, and this was when I couldn't break my plateau. Then, to top it all off, because I was exercising too much I managed to seriously injure myself and ended up having to be immobile for 2 MONTHS!

I would totally back off your exercise schedule to 4 times per week max for a bit IMHO.

Sweat is for those who know it's a choice.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Cathlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by tralaiven View Post
I totally agree with cakebaker, I didn't notice before how much you are exercising! Last year I had an intense exercise schedule too, and this was when I couldn't break my plateau. Then, to top it all off, because I was exercising too much I managed to seriously injure myself and ended up having to be immobile for 2 MONTHS!

I would totally back off your exercise schedule to 4 times per week max for a bit IMHO.
funny that you and cakebaker both mention this. I was just thinking about this when I was writing it down in my message. I think back to the times I lost weight and one time was doing body for life where you only did strength three times a week and did HIIT (no more than 20-30 minutes) three times a week. In 12 weeks I lost 10 pounds but the eating went along with it and hubby was doing this with me so it helped.

Last year when I lost weight I was doubling my workouts (as above) and it worked.

so I am also thinking about doing one of the leg blast rotations that is listed since this is my problem area. I was looking at fitnessfreaks sept 08 rotation and Cathe's february rotation. They both look good. I want to still do yoga so am thinking about taking away the evening workouts and doing yoga 2-3 days a week instead in the evenings while doing one of the leg blast rotations.

TRSTACIE - I don't stick with any rotation for long. I am lucky to get a month in so I am constantly changing up.

I did talk to my leader after the meeting today and she said it is harder to maintain because your trying to find the perfect combination. I just don't want to get to where I was.

EPCOT CHICK - Thanks. I eat the points allowed for the day but don't dip into the APS as I figure those are extra. I do keep track on the weekends, maybe not as best as I should but I try to do the best. I eat a lot of the extra weekly points.
tralaiven likes this.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Cathlete

I shouldn't be commenting on this post since I don't know anything about WW or point systems. You do have a fair amount of cardio in your schedule, love the kettlebells , but I would add in weight lifting and cut out two of the cardio sessions in lieu. I see you have started on STS which is perfect!
fit44 and mini-natty like this.
STS ... #14 complete
Old 02-23-2012, 03:21 PM
DeCathelete

Hi.

Follow WWer here.

I am currently in maintenance mode and have been for several months but my advice to you if you are looking to lose is, as previously stated by other posters, back off on the exercise!

I started on WW while doing an STS rotation which had me exercising 60-90 mins per day on average/6 days per week between weights and cardio. I lost weight doing this but when STS ended and I changed my routine to what was basically high intensity circuits of 30 mins or less the weight started coming off much easier!

Try it! If it doesn't work, atleast you will know and you can move on to trying something else. It's definitely worth a shot!

ETA: In addition, I don't know your physical stats (ie height/weight) but your calorie intake seems low...you might want to try bumping your points back up to 29 per day and see if that helps as well. Just a thought!
mini-natty likes this.

Wendy

Last edited by Fit_mommy; 02-23-2012 at 03:26 PM..