Floorwork Fatality (if you're a runner, a rec)

Swimmer

Cathlete
I succumbed to purchasing Lisa Watson's Strong Stride (Mary has it). So far, I've done the first two workouts on it, and they left me humbled. I'm advanced, pretty strong, but both workout one and workout two on this DVD had me feeling like a weenie. Lisa is relentless. The moves are mostly traditional with pilates-style stuff thrown in for good measure.

Today, I did workout #2 and the hip section is incredible. My hips need strengthening (too many years swimming and biking) -- this workout is probably the first I've done in a long long time where I found it easy to use the right hip muscles but was DYING and praying that she would just complete the section. There are no rests, she just keeps torturing you until you're done with the leg. Almost every section focuses on hips (except the core sections, which are very effective, as well). I confess that a few times, I simply surrendered and rested a few seconds.

I have yet to try to strength/weight section and the active warmup (looks like plyo moves). The DVD is pretty well chaptered so you can choose specifics segments but not so well chaptered that you can pick only the exercises you want, which is part of the torture. Lisa is a fellow Steeltown (Pittsburgh) gal, so I should have known she'd show no mercy.

The workouts are geared for runners, FWIW, so if you run, this might be one you might want to add to your training toolbox.

I just got this 2 weeks ago. I've done each section twice so far. #1 on Weds, and #2 on Saturdays. I've always known I kinda suck at floor work. But, YEOWCH!!!!!!!!!! The first one is tough but not so bad. The hip section on the second one had me hanging onto my mat for dear life and begging for death. Oof!!!

I'm trying to use it to help rehab an ITB issue. I think it'll work.

The warm up runs less than five minutes, and very low key. Walk forward and back, on your toes, maybe a high knee, I can't recall. But not plyo, and to me, not worth the few minutes.

She is boring as a stick, the production value sucks (doors slamming in the background, her voice echos, etc), but the workout is tough, tough, tough. It does actually seem to go by quickly, though.

I'd recommend it, especially if you're a runner or have leg imbalances.

Nan

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.