Do you think that tea counts toward water intake?

sophiem

Cathlete
I'm always trying to drink tons of water. I was wondering if you think that either hot or cold tea, as long as it is flavored naturally with no additives, sugar, milk, etc. could be counted toward water intake per day?

Hmmm that's an interesting question & one I've always wondered--not with tea, but with beverages in general. Of course, tea has caffiene which tends to run right through you, so I'm not sure.

Caffeine is dehydrating, so unless your tea is decaff, you cannot count it towards your beverage intake;).

Michele

I believe that, generally speaking, regular tea doesn't because it's caffeinated and therefore a diuretic. However, herbal teas would. As would milk. Water content of fruits and veggies also counts.

My rule has always been to have at least one glass (BIG one)of water for each caffinated/alcoholic beverage...I drink so much water in the morning, that I guess I've never really thought about my decaf coffee (one or two cups only)...Interesting question!

MJ

I only count straight water towards my daily intake. I don't think of fruit and veggies and the water I take in during exercise as counted toward my daily water. If I just add lemon to the water, then I count that.

Some say that even coffee can count towards your daily fluid intake, despite the effects of caffeine.

I'd say that green, white and red teas (the first two have low levels of cafeine in, the third is caffeine-free) as well as juices,, and even 'wet' foods (soups, lettuce, cucumbers, watermelon, etc. ) count towards hydration. Herbal teas would as well.

I think the "8 glasses of water" is based on the typical American diet, which is low in fruits and veggies (which contribute to hydration) and high in processed and concentrated foods.

A couple of years ago, a study was released that was quite surprising. Contrary to what everyone has thought for so long, drinking coffee, tea, or anything with caffeine does not change the body's water levels.

Of course, I used this study to rationalize switching back from decaf to my regular coffee, and have also become a daily Starbuck's addict. So, while my addiction might not hurt my body, it's definitely hurting my wallet!

My naturopathic doctor told me to drink lots of water, and she said that decaffeinated or caffeine-free herbal tea counts as water.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.