Dislocated shoulder

Two weeks ago I dislocated my shoulder. I didn't do any structural damage, but the Orthopedic doctor said if I want to avoid surgery and dislocating it again, I must keep my arm immobile for 6-8 weeks before I start rehab.
I am allowed to ride my recumbent bike and WALK on a treadmill, not run. No weightlifting, no pushups, or shoulder exercises.
I have been doing bicep/tricep work with bands along with no weight lunges, squats and exercises like that.
I would love any other suggestions as I am going crazy. I do not feel like I am doing much good without weights and some Insanity cardio.
I am also watching what I eat and have cut back on my daily calories as I am not working out as hard.
I just do not want to gain weight as I have a vacation to the tropics at the end of April.
Thank you for any help.

My son had an initial total dislocation about 3 years ago while mountain biking. We were not told to totally immobilize it for 6 weeks, so when he didn't have pain he starting exercising. He started to dislocate almost every time he exercised or snowboarded. He had surgery to tighten the ligaments.

The surgery did not stick and he started dislocating again, even as he turned over while sleeping. He then went for a second surgery last fall. The surgery was over 3 hours long and he is not supposed to do anything but physio approved exercises for 6 months.

My advice, take the 6 weeks off, heal completely and avoid the surgeries.

Last summer I WISH I had only dislocated my shoulder, but instead I was cycling, fell hard on my right shoulder (I am rt handed) and shattered the ball of my humerus as well as broke my upper humerus. The doctors said they could not cast it because of the break, so I had to be TOTALLY immobile for 8 weeks.

The docs said not even any walking, nothing....just sitting. I went from being very active...(up to 8 hours per week cycling, weight lifting, working out) to NOTHING. The only exercise I got was getting up and going to the bathroom or showering! I thought it was too much for me to bear too.

The good news is, I got through it. It was hard, but I have come through on the other side. And I did not gain any weight, but LOST. What I discovered was that all my exercising was causing my body to go into some sort of survival mode (maybe) and really fought me losing any weight. Of course, when I sat and sat and sat there for days on end, I was very careful with what I ate: lots of salads, yogurt, lean protein and did not indulge very often.

But the important thing to do is to listen to your docs and not do any more than they tell you that you can do and you will be just fine. Yes, you will lose some cardio and strength ability, but I have almost worked my way back up and am fine. Also I have kept all the weight off and am very happy about that!

All in all, it was a tough experience, but I learned from it and am a better person from it and the same can happen to you if you look at it the right way. Really...you will be just fine! Just find some good books that you want to read and movies that you want to see and use the time to think about your life and what you will do when you are recovered. It's tough, but it's not forever, even though it feels like it.

I wish you the best!

Last edited:
I just wanted to say I'm so sorry! I know the frustration and the panic that sets in when you're told you can't do what you want to do! (Had to take 10 weeks off due to a stress fracture years ago) Hang in there. I know it's not easy but you will bounce back very quickly after you're all healed. Thoughts & prayers for speedy healing!

Thank you ladies. I appreciate your thoughts and am so thankful that at least I can do what I can do.
I agree about not being active Miss Attilla, I am desperately trying to avoid what your son went thru.
The body is an amazing machine and it definitely tells me when I have done enough. Thank goodness for salads and yogurt, it is about all that I eat and so far, no weight gain. Fingers crossed.
Thank you.

Sorry to hear about your injury! Definitely take a break! I popped my shoulder out two summers ago ice skating and I just kept working through the pain last summer I thought it had healed but within the first weeks of swim season it was killing me I couldn't do any arm movement with the strokes. Then I had volleyball camp and after the first day I couldn't bump, move my arm over my head, tie my shoes, or even open my laptop, and even now it still has not healed fully so I have to be really careful when I do pushups and chest flies. I found that physical therapy exercises really helped, I just need to make time to do them. I hope yours heals fully and soon!

Listen to your Doctor!

As a seasoned Sport and 24-hour racer (mountainbiking), I am imploring you to park your patutie (like tralaiven) and give your body every chance to heal. I've unfortunately been around a lot of dislocated shoulders, very common in my sport, just slamming into a tree will do it, and once that injury happens and it doesn't get a chance to heal properly, subsequent dislocations are much easier. That was Houdini's secret.

It looks like you had a closed reduction buts its really important that its immobilized with a sling so you don't repeat the dislocation. I have used this type of sling after 8 weeks as support when I slammed myself good into a tree, there are several different types, and probably sold on Amazon.

EVS Sports - Products

I'm so sorry this happened, its awful, but the days will pass faster and the good part is you should be in good shape before Summer comes around.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.