Can someone please explain this to me? TDEE/BMR etc

bchgrl40

Cathlete
The math just doesnt add up. If my bmr is 1400 and my tdee is 1673, and 500 calories less per day is 1 lb per week lost, and 1000 less per day is 2 lbs lost, but I'm not supposed to ever go below 1200, does that mean I NEVER can lose more than slightly less than 1 lb per week? Or that if I want to lose 2 lbs per week I'll have to do ALOT more exercise (about 600 calories more per day)? Or is the less than 1200 calories per day just not true?

and just one more question

If you have a sedentary lifestyle (ie. desk job and not much activity) EXCEPT you workout for up to 1 hour 6x/week, are you considered sedentary, moderately active or lightly active?

The math just doesnt add up. If my bmr is 1400 and my tdee is 1673, and 500 calories less per day is 1 lb per week lost, and 1000 less per day is 2 lbs lost, but I'm not supposed to ever go below 1200, does that mean I NEVER can lose more than slightly less than 1 lb per week? Or that if I want to lose 2 lbs per week I'll have to do ALOT more exercise (about 600 calories more per day)? Or is the less than 1200 calories per day just not true?

How did you get those numbers? Did you actually go to a lab and have tests done professionally or did you use an online formular?

If I were you, I would actually eat just 1600 kcal a day (but for real, weighing and calculating anything and everything and logging everything) and see if this would give me weight loss. People overestimate how many calories they are actually eating because of the huge size of foods. An apple is more two to three servings nowadays than just one serving, same goes for potatoes, peppers, etc.

I got the numbers a combination of using a bodybugg, the workout manager and online calculations. I use a food scale and weigh my food so I know I'm not overestimating my foods. But I'm not worried about that part yet. I'm still wondering at this point how much I should be eating for my goals. I seem to lose 1-2 lbs per week if I keep my calories around 1000 but know this goes against all experts advice.

1000 calories per day seems unadvisable. Research shows when you go too low in calories your metabolism will slow down to compensate. It's common knowledge now that you actually must eat in order to lose weight. It just needs to be the right food.

If you have a desk job but work out 1 hour daily, I would enter moderate activity level.

There are many online calculators that can help you figure this out. What you also need to be considering are macronutrient ratios (carbs/protien/fat) that are appropriate for you. Other things to consider are how much weight you want to lose, etc.

I am studying dietetics in school right now, I can't officially counsel you but can point you in the right direction with links and info I have. If you'd like, PM me.

Elizabeth

During the 70's and 80's, when skinny and not necessarily healthy, were in fashion, lots of diets were between 800 and 1000 kcal. Even the Atkins diet is said to float between 1000 and 1200 kcal; weight watchers is usually around 1200 kcal.

The BMR is the amount of calories your body needs to simply survive doing things like pumping blood, digesting, and breating.

Once you start moving, you use more calories. If you want a calorie deficient of 500 kcal a day, half should come from less calorie intake, the other half from movement. Therefore, you could eat safely 1423 calories if you commit to burning an extra 250 kcal and still lose about 1 lbs a week. 1 lbs is slow and steady and chances are you lose only fat tissue.

Looking at your numbers, you are a small person...correct? Why are you focusing on scale weight? Toss out your scale, and use a tape measure and a the mirror!! You can lose inches, gain lean body mass, lose body fat without the scale moving one pound.

Lift weights, do some cardio, eat a healthy diet - dump processed food, including diet drinks. Spend time looking for healthy recipes to keep your diet tasty and healty. Trust me, I know from experience...the worst thing you can do is push your body into losing scale weight. You want to give your body a nudge, not a hard push to let go of body fat.
If you use the scale and focus on a magic number, you will never be happy with your body comp, and will find yourself on a perpetual low calorie diet.

Shift your thinking away from quick scale results, and give yourself 6 months to a year to recomp your body. Adopt healthy eating habits that will last a lifetime. Trust me, you don't want to adopt a diet mentality, it's a vicious cycle that can lead to metabolic damage. It's not as simple as calories in vs calories out. Take care of your one and only body, and focus on fueling with nutrient dense food.
Here are some links to inspirational blogs that include some pretty tasty recipes-

Clean Eating Works!
https://www.facebook.com/TheSmithMachinesFitbook?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/pages/LiveFit-Journey/321466511218445?fref=ts
Little b's healthy habits

Looking at your numbers, you are a small person...correct? Why are you focusing on scale weight? Toss out your scale, and use a tape measure and a the mirror!! You can lose inches, gain lean body mass, lose body fat without the scale moving one pound.

Lift weights, do some cardio, eat a healthy diet - dump processed food, including diet drinks. Spend time looking for healthy recipes to keep your diet tasty and healty. Trust me, I know from experience...the worst thing you can do is push your body into losing scale weight. You want to give your body a nudge, not a hard push to let go of body fat.
If you use the scale and focus on a magic number, you will never be happy with your body comp, and will find yourself on a perpetual low calorie diet.

Shift your thinking away from quick scale results, and give yourself 6 months to a year to recomp your body. Adopt healthy eating habits that will last a lifetime. Trust me, you don't want to adopt a diet mentality, it's a vicious cycle that can lead to metabolic damage. It's not as simple as calories in vs calories out. Take care of your one and only body, and focus on fueling with nutrient dense food.
Here are some links to inspirational blogs that include some pretty tasty recipes-

Clean Eating Works!
https://www.facebook.com/TheSmithMachinesFitbook?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/pages/LiveFit-Journey/321466511218445?fref=ts
Little b's healthy habits

Fit44- I couldn't agree more! It's taken me so many years to learn this. Anything that happens fast doesn't last.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.