Bad news - job sked - advice?

newswoman13

Cathlete
Hi, I don't post everyday, but I read regularly and know you all are wise, supportive women. I need advice or just a place to vent!

I work in news (can you tell!?), and have been on a "floating" schedule since August with my new position. Granted, this is a 24/7 business. When I moved here from school, I thought I'd throw some irons in the fire, see what happened -- I knew I wanted to write in some aspect, thought I might still want to go the reporting route, but I wanted the freedom of living where I wanted, etc..., so I got a job here. I've climbed up the ladder, pitched stories of interest, but then again, hard news is not my heart and soul. I need more flow, less hard attitudes, etc. (anyone familiar?)

I've never really been "happy" at work. And, I'll disagree when my mother says work is a "four letter word". I think you deserve to thrive where you use your energy and earn an income. I've been in therapy trying to work through old issues of bad body image (which translates to the real stuff if you've experienced it), not owning my power, family history, etc. So, now, I know I want to be in an position to write creatively, keep teaching aerobics (maybe yoga), and maybe get into some sort of therapeutic field. I definitely want to keep writing (even though I'm probably way scattered right now!)...

Anyway, I just got word about my new "permanent" schedule from my boss. Not only did I get the overnight shift (okay, okay, somebody's gotta get it), but it's Thursday night thru Sunday night. I did ask him if that crappy weekend deal could be broken up...he basically said no. I am freaking. Overnights on occasion kill me. I get really depressed, etc.

So, maybe this is my wake-up call. I'm emailing contacts and researching, etc. etc. I just don't like the fact that it's taken a shi**y schedule scare to get my booty moving out of an abusive work environment. I want to stay true to myself and not run to any place that will take me. But, I really think this is a "get real" message.

Maybe I just need good vibes from you all who've been in a similar situation. I know nothing's going to fall in my lap. But, I pray for clarity. I want to be happy at work and not controlled by it. I've ordered a new computer to help with freelancing from home (before finding out the sked deal...i already had this on my mind) and am still loving teaching aerobics. I love the connection, healing aspects. I want to combine my hobbies into a full-time. Maybe school? Maybe just keep applying to other jobs to hold me over until the hobbies earn more? I think it's taking it day by day and having faith that count.

Anyway, I am just really babbling. It helps to push thoughts into the Universe here and there. Any feedback or similiar experiences of "letting go and moving forward" would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for letting me vent!!!

Hi Newswoman!

I'm sorry that you're going through a difficult time at work. I believe that everything happens for a reason and it sounds to me like you really needed to start planning for something different in your life, but you were "comfortable", if not happy, in your current position. It's SO hard to make a move when things are going okay but not great. I've been in jobs that I've just really not enjoyed one little bit, but since they're comfortable, I don't move on. But then I stay in the job way longer than I should and I don't progress in my life.

I think this is a wake-up call for you. What do you REALLY, REALLY want to do? Set your goals and head in that direction. Do everything you can to reach your goals. You should write down your goals. Studies all show that the most successful people in the world are people who write down their goals.

Instead of getting depressed b/c you're working a crappy schedule, try to use your off time (when you're not sleeping) researching where your headed and setting your life in that direction. Maybe some of your freelance work could be writing fitness related articles for various newspapers?? Maybe you could go back to school and focus on some sort of exercise physiology program or nutrition type program. Your evening/weekend schedule would lend itself well to going back to school. If staying at your job isn't an option, don't just run off to anyone who will take you. You'll end up in the same place you're in now. Take your time and find something that's right. Why jump from the frying pan into the fire?

It sounds like you are mobile and able to move for a good job. That's a huge plus. Because I love my DH, I live in a place where jobs options aren't what they were when I was in LA. But for me the trade off is worth it (although it would be awesome to do something I love). For you though, if you can move somewhere for a job, your opportunities are endless! Take advantage of this time and follow your dreams. Be one of those people who LOVES what they do. Unfortunately there aren't enough people who do. But you can take charge of your life!

Good luck and keep us all posted.

Susan

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

It sounds like you are already headed in the right direction. If I can suggest anything, it would be two things: try to make your long-term goals more tangible. You say you want to be in something therapeutic; what does that mean to you? Maybe more importantly, what does it NOT mean to you? What skills do you have and what skills do you need? How can you get these most efficiently? The second is to really draw up lists of what you do and don't like about your current position. Other than the crappy schedule (which sounds like it really s*cks), what are the things that made you unhappy or dissatisfied? Too much management? Not enough? The topics weren't creative? You didn't like your co-workers? etc.

The more concrete you can make your thoughts, the less likely you are to jump on something that will be more of the same in an effort to get out from under the situation.

I hope that helps. I've been in lousy jobs and I know it can really take a toll on your mental and emotional health. However, you do sound like you are taking steps to make change, and that is key.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Marie

Definitely do not quit your current job until you have another one. Use this one to improve your portfolio while you search for a position better suited to you.

I understand completely your feelings about writing hard news. I used to do it too and didn't like it. Right now I'm a medical writer, which I love, but our department is undergoing major restructuring. I still have my job, but I've also seen the writing on the wall and will start looking for something else before the department totally shuts down.

Writer to writer - I personally find this business very difficult when it comes to finding a good job. I don't know what the market is like in your area, but in mine, a secure job that really allows for creativity is very hard to find. That's why I said what I did at first.

Can you maybe start writing some pieces about fitness and then send them to fitness magazines? Target your freelancing in that direction? Find out what their requirements are, check into the possibility of a permanent position, etc. If you're willing to relocate, something might turn up that way. And it would allow you to combine vocation and avocation.

I feel for you and wish you all the luck in the world!

Hi,

You've already received some great advice, so I won't repeat it. However, since you also asked for feedback from others who have been in a similar situation, I'll share some of my story with you, and I hope it helps.

I was recently in a similar situation, but instead of responding to the wake up call I buried my head in the sand and pretended the writing wasn't on the wall. My situation was a little different because I really liked my job, but the composition of my board changed after the then recent elections, and there was a noticeable shift in attitudes and goals of my district.

When it became clear that they, the board members, were going to get rid of my boss, the then board attorney, we, the attorneys in my office, knew it was a possibility that we were next (especially since the board only renewed our contracts for 90 days, and one of the new board members kept saying things like "the new board attorney may want to bring in his/her own staf and sweep the office clean.").

During those final months, work became increasingly tense and unpleasant -- not within our office as we were a great team and worked well together, but rather in our office's dealings with top management and staff for the district. It became more and more apparent that our advice was being questioned, challenged, and in many instances flat out ignored.

Despite all these warning signs, I didn't look for other employment. Looking back, I think it's because I didn't want to face the challenge of figuring out what I should be doing. I knew I loved my job, but I just couldn't think of any other legal position that I would want -- still can't actually.

If you're not happy where you are, and you've received a big indicator like the one you've described, please take the time to really reflect on your goals and what you want out of life. If you determine it's not your current position, don't be afraid to step out of your box and move on to something else. I wish I had taken the time to reflect while I was still receiving an income and was more marketable. It's a lot harder to do when someone else has made part of the decision for you.

HTH
Pamela

I wanted to say "Good Luck" to you.

When I was in your position, I knew that I would find a better opportunity eventually. I believe that we all have our paths marked out for us and for the better. I am so much happier than I was when that was happening to me and it has been over 8 years since my last position was eliminated. It was one of the best things that has happened to me since my boss since then has been great and I sure do not miss that employer or their revolving managemment!

Trust your instincts (gut) and focus on what would trully be rewarding for you as you prepare to move on.

This is an interesting thread.

If we're talking about writing jobs in general, my .02 is to develop expertise in a subject matter or discipline and then find a job which allows you to tap into that. I am a writer, too, and early on I started to focus (rather accidentally) on adult education. Eventually I got my master's degree in instructional technology and now I manage a group of trainers and multimedia designers in a particular industry. We conceptualize, write, design, and develop training for fellow employees (very large organization). The work is sometimes tedious, but not usually, and there's a lot of opportunity to learn something new with each project, which is awesome for the resume. I will also say that my salary is excellent - far, far higher than the days when I was a generalist.

I will also say that writing skills in general are sorely lacking in most organizations!

Again, good luck.

Marie

I haven't got advice for you but will briefly share a bit of my experience.

I worked in marketing for a large chain of building centres before kids and liked the work very much. I did the SAHM thing with my 3 DDs for 12 years which was great, during that time my husband got cancer and after 5 years succumbed to it. After a year and a half of floundering I knew it was time to get back to career mode but my previous career held little or no charm to me after our experiences. I wanted my work to have meaning to me and those I worked with. I looked into nursing, nutruition and massage therapy and began refreshing some of my high school sciences to get the brain going. I decided on Massage and was accepted. Finances were tight and a huge stressor but I kept my eye on the long term gains. The most frightening part was relocating my family to a new city where we knew no one. I vividly remember looking out the back window as we drove away from home and thinking, 'God help me, please don't let me come back in a year with my tail between my legs'. I went to school and rocked it! I loved every minute of the 3 years I was in, it changed who I am and consolidated all that I hoped to be in my career. I have been practising almost 3 years now and absolutely love my work, most days it doesn't even feel like work. Whether it's a long term treatment plan with an individual who has been injured, a one time relaxation massage or one of my regulars I know that I make a difference in individuals lives (less pain, less headaches, more mobility, less stress...) and am honoured and amazed at the deeply personal things people share with me. I work the hours I want, make good money and do not stress out about work one little bit. Life is good and I am so glad that I had the b@lls to make it happen. It may be cliche but follow your bliss, you have obviously thought about this a lot and are at a cross roads. All the best to you in whatever you decide.

Sorry, I guess that wasn't really brief, was it?!:D

Take Care
Laurie:)

You ALL rock. Thank you. I've got a lot of thinking, no impulsive decisions, but a lot of thinking ahead of me. It's all about listening to your gut, right? That little voice never goes away. You gotta pay attention to it. Because really, it's not a "little" voice. It's the biggest we've got.

Thank you for your support.

I'll keep you posted.

P.S. Laurie.

You mentioned you were afraid of the financial constraints and moving back with your tail between your legs. That's what I fear. I definitely have a lot of research to do, but I also have to have the faith that I will not be in debt forever should I decide to make school, certification etc. investments!

Someone else wrote to think about what would "truly be rewarding" -- And, I think that's to teach others' to respect their bodies, to love them (only b/c I've lived in a family where each person loathes her body...and I'm learning from it).

So, again, I keep re-reading your posts, and the main idea is to listen to your gut. Maybe I could write a book about people listening to their gut (finally!).

Take care you all, and thanks again. I'm off to enjoy one more REAL Friday night!

:p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.