Aquajock - aqua workout please...

waterbabie

Cathlete
Hi Annette,

I would love to get tips on a workout I can do on my own. I take the kids to the Y to practice swimming every couple of weeks. It would be nice to get in a workout during that time (every bit helps!)

I used to go to the Y in Mass. and got an awesome workout! The last class I signed up for here..the instructor NEVER got in the water and chatted with the long timers in the front row most of the time. The crowd was mostly older ladies and people doing physical therapy rehab -- not what I was looking for.

Thanks in advance.
~~ Sharon ~~

RE: Thought you'd never ask . . .

:) :) :)

Good equipment: a pair of Ryka Aquasport or Aquafit shoes (you can get the same size as your regular athletic shoes) (www.ryka.com); a pair of Speedo swim mitts (www.speedo.com); and Hydrofit hand buoys (come in moderate, medium and heavy resistance) (www.hydrofit.com OR .org {I'm not sure which}).

Good music: tempos between 148-157 bpm for long-leg half-time front kicks, "V" front kicks, back kicks, "wide" back kicks, knee extensions/flexions, karate kicks, and fast jumps; then tempos between 125-140 bpm for power jumps (legs together, heels together but knees turned out, squat jumps) (My favorite music company for fitness music is Power Music www.powermusic.com)(music is optional)

In the shallow end, start with the water at a level just underneath the breastline (xyphoid level) and do runs in place or forward and back with fast breaststroke arms or reverse breaststroke (like you're hugging a tree over and over), kicks forward and back (as noted above), jack-legs or ski-legs and upper body work like standing pec flyes, lateral delt raises, long-arm shoulder flexion/extensions, FAST biceps curls / triceps extensions. With long-arm moves keep the hands flat or moderately cupped; with short-arm fast moves keep the hands fisted. Also do power jumps. NEVER STOP MOVING - if you can't think of a good leg move or upper body move, just go into a fast run (think Cathe's "high-knee run" intervals in MIC and Circuit Max etc.)

Use the hand buoys as floats (do not wear your swim mitts or shoes for this) and do flutter kick and frog/whip kick (the kick used in a standard breaststroke) drills anchored against a wall so you don't have a back current helping you along. Also use the hand buoys as floats in the deep end and do long-leg scissors with the feet either flexed (moderate) or pointed (harder) for good glute / hip flexor work. Also use the handbuoys as floats for supine ab work, using the abs to press DOWN into a crunch with the legs in various positions (center, gentle twist right / left, straight-leg or bent-knee).

Use the hand buoys in the shallow end for upper body resistance work: vertical pec flyes; press-downs in front of the body (think of a "reverse upright row"); press-downs in a long arm position to the sides of the body (think of a lat press-down machine in the gym); "reverse" biceps curls (keeping elbows anchored at sides and palms up - extend the elbows / forearms down - killer triceps work!)

Hope this is enough to get you started! Lemme know if you have any other questions!

A-jock

RE: Thought you'd never ask . . .

Why do I get the feeling that if I ever did make it to one of your classes (this is a goal I have) I'd drown?

Briee :-jumpy

I'd have to bring jumpy man to drag me out of the water.

RE: Briee . . .

I like to think of myself as the Cathe Friedrich of the water environment; in fact, during my a capella classes I routinely do 5 jump intervals including tuck jumps (think Interval #10 in I-Max I), frog jumps, squat jumps (think plyo jacks but bringing your legs together at the top of the jump rather than on the landing) and "inside jacks" (think airborne jacks also in Interval #10) per class. And I always finish off the shallow water segment with a 3-4 minute power sprint with runs and power skis.

I wouldn't letcha drown, kid. It'd be fun to have ya!

A-jock

Thanks a bunch!!!!

Oh now THAT was reassuring. I was going to ask if anyone had ever drown, but instead I will ask "how many???"

On a serious note, there was an add in our local paper, someone was selling a round trip plane ticket from Lacrosse to Minneapolis and back ($40) and I actually called on it, but it was gone already. I have LOTS of family in that area and I'm thinking I better get out there quick before IMAX II gets into your system and you step it up a notch if that's possible!!!! One of these days.......

Briee

Thanks so much!!

Very cool!! I'm tempted to take your note to the head of the water program so she can understand what sort of program I'm looking for. They looked at me like I was crazy because I argued that they were misrepresenting the class in their brochure by saying it was an intense workout.

I wish I could take your class!!

~~ Sharon ~~

RE: Sharon: Welcome to my life

This is gonna sound harsh and arrogant, but 90% of aqua instructors can't even spell the word "intense". Because they themselves are seldom in very good physical shape, they can't conceive of anything tougher than what they themselves lead. AND, because so many instructors are wedded to deck instruction, they have no clue as to what is really intense and effective in the water environment. And they have no clue that they have no clue. And they consistently respond to any suggestion of an intense move OR an intense (or fast) music / movement tempo, that it's "unsafe".

Lemme know if you have any other questions, or want some move suggestions.

a-jock

RE: Briee -

Get here NOW before the snows hit and you have to bring bigtime winter gear. Wouldja believe we have NO SNOW yet?!

a-jock
wantin' to aquacize la briee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.