Anyone take a break and/or join a gym?

skoobie

Cathlete
I have been in a big rut lately, having absolutely no motivation to work out. I have been a home exerciser and occasional trail runner for about four years but, up until a little over a year ago, also had access to the gym at my apartment complex. I only went about once per week, but it was a nice change of pace, and my workouts there always left me wiped out. I have never been a fan of the crowded co-ed gyms where it feels more like a meat market, but I did use the fitness facilities in college and loved them (never too crowded and mostly women)... Anyway, I stopped by a new ladies' gym near my home today for a tour and am seriously considering joining, probably taking a break from videos for a while. I swear I am the poster child for adult-onset ADD and think that doing something totally different will get me going again. Has anyone done this? How did it work out? Please share!

Hey Skoobie: I've never taken a long break from working out at home but I do combine the two. I have been a home exerciser since '93 and a gym member since '98 (I teach classes at a women's gym). I love the variety I get with the two and hear you about the rut and lack of motivation. If I get feeling that way then I tend to go to the gym more, I find that group exercise motivates me and when I look around the room and see other women working outside of their comfort zone I find places within to dig into that I know I wouldn't find in the comfort of my own home. I have met too many wonderful people at the gym to count and established friendships that mean the world to me.
When it comes to fitness you have to find what works for you personally and IMHO if joining a gym is what is going to keep you motivated and get you out of the rut then I say go for it!!
I don't know if this is true across the industry but where I am memberships are cheaper around late October, early November. Fees are usually higher in September and January as more people join gyms at this time. HTH.

Take Care
Laurie

Hi,
Have you thought about supplementing with dance classes: ballet, modern, tap or jazz. They can be exhilarating and mentally challenging.

I take a gym class once a week, a total body workout type of thing, 60 min with a friend. I like the change of pace even if it is not totally as intense as a Cathe tape. It is fun to get out and see other people and get something different. Fun fun fun!

(I haven't found this particular gym very meat market-y, which seems to be the most common complaint around the board why people don't go to a gym....there have been certain times I have been at gyms that ARE, but since I was there to workout, no one ever really bothered me, and who cares if it is a meat market? As long as it has good equipment and classes??????)

I am very much this way. I can't bare to put a Cathe tape in some days, but it is just too darn hot to go outside. I'll try to go to the gym then, but nowadays it takes quite a lot to motivate. I think definitly if you are tired of what you are doing...do something else!! Make sure they have cool group exercise classes though. My gym does not and I hate that...

Just wanted to say if you go to a club and perform your workouts properly, it's not going to be a "break", believe me. My individual gym workouts are tougher than Cathe's videos. It depends on how much you are able to motivate yorself without having someone on a TV urging you on.
I've yet to see a "meat market" gym of health club. Most people, I think, are serious when they go to a club. They pay to go, so they may as well train hard. The concept of predatory men in health clubs is outdated in my opinion. I will say that if you dress half-naked, you'll get ogled. It's the laws of nature. But I do think in order to attend a health club you need to be comfortable with yourself and not have needless worry over whether you are being watched while you workout. 90% of the time I think people are self-absorbed in their training and don't give a damn what someone else is doing unless it's a training partner. At least that's my 10 yrs experience in it.
Good luck and enjoy the change!!
T. :)

I also joined a gym so that I could supplement my home workouts with extra heavy weight lifting. It's been working out pretty well. I'll do something like PUB in the morning at home, and then I'll do legs at the gym during lunch. Later the same week, I'll do legs in the a.m. and upper body at the gym. By getting some of my routine "maintenance" stuff out of the way at the gym, that leaves more time at home for what I consider to be the fun workouts (i.e. kickboxing and step). Since I'm getting to do more of my favorite things at home, I haven't been getting bored at all. Also, I've really gotten good results with all the extra weight lifting.

I've never had any problem with the other people at the gym; everyone seems really focussed on their own workouts. I think the most flirtatious comment I've ever received was "do you mind if I share your bench".

Shelbygirl

I'm w/you on this Trevor--I don't do any of Cathe's weight training tapes. I do all my lifting in the gym. Cathe's step tapes are really supplements to my gym workouts b/c I have a pretty tight schedule.

I also don't feel that my gym is a "meat market." And I do wear skimpy clothes.}( I mean, guys'll approach me & all, but it's not intimidating or overtly obnoxious. And I've actually met some great women there that I've established friendships with outside of the gym.

Also I feel that working out amongst other people can be inspiring. I know when I see someone lifting more than I do or in better shape than I am I tend to push myself harder.

My problem is, when I'm at home & have a choice between my couch & exersize, the couch is gonna win out every time. The gym can definitely be motivating if it's the right one for you.

I'm thinking about (re)joining a gym to give my routine a kick in the pants. The last time I joined, I went regularly for a year and used both weights and the cardio equipment. I stopped working out at home entirely - I had just moved to my current apartment and didn't think the set-up was going to accommodate home workouts. I enjoyed my membership but found it time-consuming - I had to budget two hours a day for an hour in the gym, when I added in travel time, changing, and showering. I also found myself getting into a rut with my weights and cardio - the gym staffers were great on showing me how to use a machine but their expertise ended there. If I had any questions about routines or rotations, I had to hire an on-site trainer. Because it was an old-fashioned no-frills gym, the classes offered didn't appeal to me at all.

This time, I want to keep up my home workouts and supplement them with gym training. I'm really happy with the variety of my at-home strength workouts, and I like the convenience of rolling out of bed to work out and not having to plan ahead. However, I'm getting bored to death with my cardio - only step or kickboxing. It sounds odd, but the idea of zoning out on a treadmill, bike or stairstepper is appealing to me! I'd also like to try a spinning class.

There are three gyms in my area - my old one (no-nonsense weights and cardio machines, very basic); a newer chain (more pricey, some interesting classes though); and the high-end one that has the rock-climbing wall, spa, boxing ring, childcare....I'm planning to shop around after the holiday weekend and see which is most suited to what I want now.

Allison

Well, my gym makes the cardio pretty easy. I'm not sure how I feel about this--they used to have a bank of TVs in the front of the cardio area. Then about a month ago I went in & they'd actually attached a small flat screen TV to every single cardio machine! So everyone has their own TV (not to mention the bank of TVs is still there as well, so I guess if you wanted to you could watch two things at once).

Anyway, I have a book rack & I usually read on the bike or arc trainer. This TV on every machine thing has me totally freaked. I think it might be a little overkill, besides the fact that even w/the 500 satellite channels, there's nothing good to watch anyway. LOL maybe I'll just tune into FitTV next time & hope for a little Cathe inspiration.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.