anyone??? Back/disc problems and Cathe?

Kimenem

Cathlete
I'm having a flare up of what I guess is a slipped disc. It happened this same time last year and I saw the chiropractor who got me pain free and working out again. I did a lower body workout yesterday AM and several hours later, the pain started and got worse over the course of the day. I went to the dr this morning because I can hardly walk and just about all movement hurts. He said something about the sacrum joint. Went to the chiro and she said same thing I had last year (slipped disc). No one ever mentioned slipped disc before today. I have a brace, ice pack, muscle relaxers, and pain meds. I'm anticipating having to rethink my workouts. I still want leg definition and like step but am thinking I may have to give it all up. Does anyone have experience with this and, if so, how did you change things around and still get good results?

Thanks

Kim
Also, I'm wondering if STS is going to be a good thing for me now :-(

Ugh, I sympathize with you. I have disc issues, along with spinal stenosis, and checked with my doctor as to whether or not to do these type of advanced workouts.

My doctor basically broke it down this way...if it hurts, don't do it, or modify it. What I did was write down any movement that causes me discomfort, and found that leg presses and dead lifts were causing me discomfort, so I did a forum search, asking for alternatives for these two exercises, and found two great alternatives...since then...knock wood...no issues, and my back hasn't felt this good in years..again..knock wood.

Back issues are tricky things, so please listen to your body, there are safer modifications for almost any exercise, I know first hand.

Good luck!!

I have a herniated disc. I don't know the difference in pain between the two, but the thing that hurts me is anything high impact. In fact, the only thing my doctor told me to avoid is high impact activities. I can lift weights, and I always wear a brace when I do so. Like Jerry says, if it hurts, don't do it. Take it easy and build back up.

Thanks! So there IS hope. Like I said, this has happened before, just wasn't THIS painful last time. Yesterday when I di dmy workout, I did squats, lunges, leg press (with band) and deadlifts. Then I added some floor work. I was just suprised that it came on several hours AFTER the workout. The pain is about as low as you can go before hitting the pelvic region so I'm wondering if it is more the sacrum joint.

Kim

The thing with back issues also, is that you can have more than one problem. A couple of years ago, I had an x-ray which showed I have a transitional lumbar vertebra and degenerative disc disease, and a chiropractor also told me I had a problem with my sacrum joint. This past Thanksgiving, I ended up in the hospital with back spasms and sciatica and was told to see a physical therapist. I went a few times with no relief and had an MRI done, finally, which showed the herniated disc, the degenerative disc disease, and facet joint arthropathy which causes the most pain in the sacrum region. It might do you good to get an MRI to see what all is involved in your back issues. Once you know, it's easier to figure out what might help.

Just wondering, fellow back-issue people...Have any of you ever had a mylogram?? It's where they inject a dye-filled needle into your lower back to pinpoint what might be wrong. It was the most torturous discomfort I have ever experienced.

I haven't. Buut I've had x-rays and an MRI awhile back. The MRI showed a "slightly" bulging disc. My symptoms now are just what is described as sacrum joint problems. I get relieff when standing and lying down. It hurts when sitting. I'm trying not to get any further testing because it's so costly. I'm hoping since the chiro fixed it last time, she can fix it this time. What about weight lifting belts. Does anyone use those and, if so, what is a good brand and where do you find them?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.