Am I being too cheap?

wonderwoman

Cathlete
Goodmorning all,
My 19 month old daughter is going to a private sitter with a wonderful woman in her home. She also watches another child who is 17 months old. She goes only 3 days a week for 3 hours. I am paying 10$ an hour so the sitter made it $100 a week flat.
My husband's schedule has changed so we need to bring her 5 days a week for the same amount of time (3hrs a day). Originally we told her from 11-3pm but we decided it's best for us to stick with 12-3pm for different reasons. So when we told her 5 days from 11-3pm she said she is asking $250 a week flat. When I told her we decided to stick to the same time schedule 12-3pm she didnt make an adjustment to the price???
So Im thinking maybe she will tell me today when I pick her up if not should I say something? I would hate to get into it with her because I dont want things to get ackward because money is a sensitive issue.

I think $250 a week is alot of money for 15hrs a week? I bring my daughters things also food and diapers extra clothes she has a car seat too.

Hi there,

Here in Canada (well in Ontario) full-time public daycare for children under 24 months is approx. $250-300/week which includes 5 days at around 8hrs/day (this includes food). Private daycare (in homes mostly) is usually less. This rate drops after a child has passed their 2nd birthday.

I think $250 for 15hrs/week is a bit steep, and you are including your own food, so I can see your concern. Have you looked around to see what the going rate is for private daycare in your area?

Natasha

I'm not sure what the going rate is in the area you live, but that sounds extremely expensive, especially since you provide the food & the the baby is not there all day.

Hi,
I agree. Typically I think people put their children in private care in hope for more personal attention. Her rate is pretty high for the hours she's watching your child. I don't think you're being cheap at all. It's worth a discussion with your sitter. If she wants your business she should be open to a discussion.

Good Luck!

JR

It sounds to me like it is time to find a new sitter. This woman is gouging you ...if she charges $10 per hour...and you have your child there from 12 to 3, 5 days per week...that is only 15 hours, thus you should only be paying $150.

However, if this woman is so small as to not do the right thing, I simply would not want my child there. For that amount of money you could afford to have your child in an environment like Kindercare, which I used when my babies were young and was very happy with it.

The problem is that if she is not going to do the right thing and you have to ask her about it and call her on it, this will most likely create some ill feeling between you. And I, personally, would not want someone who is not going to offer to do the right thing watching my child. I realize good childcare is difficult to find, but to keep my child in that sort of environment is not good either and the question becomes: "If this is the way she is, is this really a good environment?"

My thoughts are that you can't put a price on finding someone to keep your baby who is trustworthy and that you really like.

It sounds kind of like you were underpaying her before. I don't have young children anymore, so I'm not aware of the "going rate", but honestly... if it were me, I'd pay it. If she keeps your baby safe, happy and healthy when you're at work, it's worth every penny.

I live in New York. About 30 minutes from the city.
My daughter use to be in a regular daycare but I pulled her out when she was 7 months old because she came down with a rare seizure disorder but she is all better now (thank god everyday). She has no delays but she still isnt walking but cruising so she will be walking any day now. They were charging me only $9 an hour.
Eventually I was going to bring her back there but I wanted to wait until she fully walking.

I agree that it is hard to find someone you really trust and I am willing to pay but if it's $10 and hour and she is charging me $100 extra that is a bit much I think. I am already paying her $10 hr which is $90 a week but she wanted $100 and thats fine but I don't understand the logic???? 15 hrs a week is 150 so why 250?

Hi,
That's tough. Is your daughter happy in her care? Is she thriving? I would suggest having a conversation with the sitter and see how she responds. These days we have to stretch our pay as much as we can, but at the same time we want the best care possible for our children. It's challenging. I hope it works out for you. For a peace of mind it may be worth the extra until your daughter can walk fully on her own. You can send her to regular daycare where she would be making more friends and gain social skills.

i would say IMO that it's steep, for the simple fact that u all decided not to go with the 5 days a week and stick with the three and she still wants to charge u that rate. I think that's steep even if u would have added her for two days at 6 hours more(why the big jump?)....but if she's really good and u can't find anyone else and don't want to put her in a daycare than that may be what u have to do....i actually keep a child for someone and i have him mon-fri for pretty much 11-12 hours a day and she pays me $120 per week. I know that's not much, but i just wanted to help her out and didn't necessarily need the money, but it may be different for her....she may need the money....but i would just talk to her and ask her y the big jump and see if u can work something out (especially if she's good and ur child really likes it)

mrsyancy :)
We still want to do the 5 days a week but only 3 hrs a day 12-3pm instead of 11-3pm 4hrs. Thats 15hrs a week instead of 20. So I want to know if its 10 an hr it should be 150 how does 250 come into play? whats the extra 100 for?

We still want to do the 5 days a week but only 3 hrs a day 12-3pm instead of 11-3pm 4hrs. Thats 15hrs a week instead of 20. So I want to know if its 10 an hr it should be 150 how does 250 come into play? whats the extra 100 for?

I think you can ask her your question without being confrontational or offensive. Just tell her you are trying to understand the way she calculates her sitting charges. Then once you know her reasoning it might make it easier for you to decide what you want to do.

You are not being cheap for wanting to understand where your money is going. That's smart, and it makes you a good example to your child.

I agree with lisa la machina.....and she gave you an excellent way to phrase your question. The charges are definitely questionable. Most licensed home providers that I know charges for a "slot" so it normally doesn't matter how many hours the child is there...you pay a flat fee. They charge for the slot because they are normally only licensed for 8 kids. I believe you said she was a babysitter---and trust me I know you don't have to be licensed to provide excellent care. I am only saying this to say that I agree the charges are too much for 15 hours of care. Theweekly charges would be normal for a licensed provider because they don't charge by the hour. Good Luck to you and I hope you are able to get this issue resolved soon. Just let her know what your concern is. Sometimes people need some assistance and realizing they are doing something that doesn't make sense. Keep us posted!

that's y i say i would just talk to her and ask her why and see if there is something that can be worked out.....if it's a flat fee for a "spot" that is being filled then that may be y....but if she's charging by the hour then it makes no sense at all...but again i just say talk to her and find out...good luck, b/c i know how that is trying to find someone u trust to watch ur child...that's y i decided to stay at home with mine...b/c i trust myself....lol....but i know everyone can't do that.....HTH:)

Tough one, but you need to bring it up, ask her maybe if the numbers were miscalculated, it does not make sense at all.

Here's an article on on daycare costs I found, monthly costs vary greatly depending on where you live, but maybe this will give you a sense of what is reasonable and help with the conversation:
How much you'll spend on childcare | BabyCenter

Wow...Thats expensive!!! I leave in Az and I provide child care for working parents and that is to much money for so little hours...she's definately trying to take advantage. The most I charge is $140-150 flat rate and that is for 10+hours a day 5 days out of the week. I provide all meals and snacks and wipes for the children with my rates. At the time I'm in a situation where I think I'm being taking advantage of. I'm caring for 3 children who are brothers and sisters. A 18 month old who is with me all day and a 10 and 7 year old whom I transport to school everyday. For all 3 kids I charge $200 flat rate a week for regular school session and $250 per week when the kids are on break from school. Now the thing that gets me with this situation is the gas...is so darn expensive and the two older kids eat quite a bit. For intances the 10 year olds typical breakfast is 2 quesadillas, 3 eggs, 2 peices of toast and some milk, or two burritos, two pieces of toast and some cereal if he still hungry!!! Now part of it is my fault, I'm thining I'm going to have to start putting my foot down when it comes to meals. I feel bad because from what I understand there parents never cook at home they eat out everyday! Plus the two older ones are somewhat dificult everyday I dont want to even think of whats its going to be like in the summer...I'm so dreading the situation!!! Anyways I'm one of those parents that when it comes to your childrens safety money should't be an issue, but $250 per week for 15 hours per week sounds like way to much money!!!

Well I spoke to the sitter yesterday when I picked my daughter and I asked her if she still wanted $250 even tho I was only bringing 3 hrs a day 5 days a week and she said oh no no she said is 200 okay? Now I really didn't want to go back and forth with her about it and I said okay cause in my head I said that is the most I would pay.

When I asked her how she came up with that price she said she basically said that now thaty daughter will be there 5 days a week she has no down time. The other child she cares for is there 10+ hours a day. I was like WTH??? Does that have to do with me???
But my daughter loves her and feels really comfortable there that is what keeps me there. She takes good care of her but in July when she turns 2 and walking by then she is going back to her daycare.
Thanks all for your opinions I knew I would get great feed back from you all.

Well I spoke to the sitter yesterday when I picked my daughter and I asked her if she still wanted $250 even tho I was only bringing 3 hrs a day 5 days a week and she said oh no no she said is 200 okay? Now I really didn't want to go back and forth with her about it and I said okay cause in my head I said that is the most I would pay.

I think that's a great compromise. Like I said earlier, you can't put a price on good child care. I always overpaid my babysitters when my son was little. I cherished the good ones, and wanted them to always know that I appreciated them, and that I would pay them well for taking care of my child. I never cared what the "going rate" was. Like I said, who puts a price on child care? Not me.

I think you made a good decision!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.