80 lbs lost OMG!!! (long - sorry)

spyrosmom

Cathlete
I got on the scale (grrrrr....scale) this morn and I am 80lbs down from my heaviest. I am oh so very excited. I still have about 15 or 20 to go to be at where I'm supposed to eb on the BMI, but I honestly think some of that is muscle, as I've put on a lot of muscle. I was a SNUG 20 and now I'm a comfy 12/14 depending on the brand. I am in better shape and look better now than I did in my early 20's.

I have always been overweight, but it got really bad after I had my son. Then one day I realized my thought that I didn't have time to exercise/eat right because I was spending time with him was bunk. Why have an overweight heart attack waiting to happen mom (heart disease, cancer, diabetes run in the fam) who only lives to be 35 when I could take an hour a day to myself and live an extra 30 or 40 years. Seems he'd overall have a lot more time to hang with me, right?

It was not easy at all. Nor did it happen over night. I used to eat the big Mac Meal super sized w/ a Coke for lunch, then the salt would leave me w/ a sugar craving so I'd go get a candy bar from the vending machine, then an hour later I'd crash, so get Dew from the vending machine. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. The thought now just makes me nasueated.

I switched to diet pop and lost like 17 lbs in a month. Then I took the prescription version of Alli for like a month, and lost about 15 lbs - no Big Macs while taking that. That was expensive, so I stopped, and gained it back. I Tae-bo'd for a while and lost some weight and then did Denise Austin for a while and got bored.

I'd lose 10 lbs or so and then be stuck. You can exercise all you want but if you're eating crap, then it doesn't matter. I found a the Saffell/Gomez kickboxing workout which I loved, then began to look for more kickboxing on Collage Video, where I found KickMax, and I loved it. I lost about another 20lbs and feeling pretty good. But then I was stuck again. I was still thinking if I bust my butt, I can eat whatever I want. NONONONONO!!! I fell in love with Cathe and bought somemore (my poor, poor credit card) and began to watch what I put in my mouth. The pounds started dropping, I started lifting with Cathe and BAM!!! I found a metabolism!!!

I used to eat when I wasn't hungry (you can't eat a big mac meal and still be hungry) but because I like to eat, and I think my body was craving vitamins, etc it was missing. Now I am actually hungry and I really do eat a lot more often and a lot more volume of food. But I think its what I'm eating. I do the food diary bit but don't really count calories. I eat sweets, but 1 piece of good chocolate in a day is way better than 3 so-so candy bars.

I was getting dressed to go out w/ DH last night and thought "damn - I look good!!" I remember not the long ago going into the plus size store and feeling really good about the cute clothes I bought and how even though I was fluffy, I was going to look good. The mall was crowded and when I left the store, I remember being embarrassed holding the bags from that store. Every one else (in my head) had bags from Sears, Macy's, Charlotte Russe, Carsons, and I was the only person in the mall who couldn't find cute clothes at a "real" store so had to shop at my own store. It was a low blow to my ego. (and I don't mean to discredit the plus size shop, they do have very cute clothes and I mean no disrespect to anyone who shops there) Now I can tote around a Macy's bag and buy more than shoes in there and don't feel like people are looking at me for being in there. And I used to always feel like people were looking at me in restaurants when I ate.

I'm coming up on 30 in May and look better, and feel better than I did in high school. There are pictures of me a few years back and I don't even look like myself to me. I look unhappy and unhealthy. Now I feel happy and healthy and have a new level of confidence. I still have a belly and baby stretch marks, and a little extra skin, but I don't care!! I can walk up 10 flights of stairs if I need to without keeling over. I will be alive to see DS graduate from high school and college. It didn't happen over night and I stuck a few times along the way, and up/down a few times, but I am so happy. I didn't realize til this morn how much it really was and how different I really look. I think I am more proud of myself for this than any other accomplishment. It's not easy. But if my Big Mac and real Coke guzzling couch potato self can do it than so can anyone. I am so looking forward to STS to help me with the last little bit I have to go, and after 80lbs 15 is just a little bit.

Its hard, physically an mentally, but it can be done!!

Nan

WOW! Congrats! That is a great accomplishment, keep up the good work. I noticed you are in Joliet, Ill, thats only about 6 hrs from me! I traveled to Joliet a lot last year for work. Actually it was Aurora but I took the Joliet exit. (I drove up there every Monday for seveal weeks)I live in southern Illinois, along the Ohio River just across from Kentucky

Can you say "goosebumps"?

I so love to hear stories like yours. I was a bit overweight in high school too and have fought like h$%& to keep it off. Most people I know now think it comes naturally.

This board is so great because we all understand that it is work but becomes a lifestyle and we feel so much better.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful new life with us.

I will be right there with you when STS comes along. I can't wait.

Nan-CONGRATULATIONS!

Hard work, dedication, and DRIVE!!!!

That's what it takes and YOU'VE DONE IT!! KEEP ON TRUCKIN', woman!

Gayle

What a wonderful story, Nan! That's just awesome that you've managed to lose so much weight and make such positive changes in your life!

Nan,
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your inspiring success story!!! I am a bit older and have lost my metabolism and have quite a bit to lose because of that so it is great to read that it can be done.

Nan,
Great job! you worked hard, and it shows:7 :7
I am actually going to show your story to my husband-- something that hits home-- he rides the spinning bike and thinks he can eat more or not have to watch because he "worked out". I'd like him to be around forever!!
You are an inspiration:)

Deanie

Nan,

You should be very proud of yourself. When you keep doing what you are doing then you'll also see your grandchildren marry and beyond. Congratulations on being fit and healthy. So glad you shared this story with us. You must also share it in the "Success Stories" Forum. People will want to read this one for sure.

What an inspiration you are,

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

http://www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

Wonderful Story Nan...and a great big congrats to you!

*look at my weightloss ticker-I KNOW were your coming from girl;-)

hugs and take care :)

I am sooo proud for you!!!! I don't know you, but I know what hard work this is--I used to be overweight and have similar eating habits. What you have achieved is wonderful!

My mom is facing the same situation right now. She has joined Inches-a-Weigh (similar to Curves but it's an hour-long workout and they have nutritional counseling as well). She is trying to eat right and has about seventy pounds to lose. I am praying that she has the strength and courage to stick with this because it is not easy and can be scary in the beginning. I keep telling her the same thing you have said, it is hard mentally and physically, but it can be done.

I am happy to hear your story and that you have had such a positive outcome.

Congratulations!

Good for you, Nan!! Weight loss really is a journey and it's great to look back and see how far you've come!! I will be 31 in May, so I'm just a little older than you. ;-) I've lost 70 lbs since the birth of my 3rd child and feel like a whole new person. You're right- it doesn't happen overnight and you will have ups and downs.

Thanks for inspiring everyone!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.