"Letswork" are you out there? (BFL)

lorihart

Cathlete
HI There,
I have noticed that you have posted a few times about how you enjoy BFL. I decided last night,while lying in bed that I am going to give it another shot.The first time I did BFL I was 10 lbs lighter then what I am now.
To me, I think the eating is the most important.Do you follow the workout plan as well? I am doing Cathes Aug rotation so I am just going to keep doing that.Do you drink the protein shakes or just eat all meals?
I also have the journal upstairs which I only used about 1/2 of it.I am going to pick up where I left off anf just keep writing.No sense in going out and buying a new book.
I totally think that BFL is one of the best eating plans out there.You get to have your cheat day,get to eat carbs and never feel hungry.(well, I remember be a little hungry!:) )
Anyway,just had a couple of quick questions for you.Hope you don't mind answering them.
Lori:)

RE:

Hi Lori,

Wow, I'm so flattered to have my very own post. I'm more than happy to answer any questions about my experiences with BFL...so here goes.

I follow the eating plan to the letter...but I don't do the actual exercise program as described. With that being said, I think HEAVY lifting and high intensity interval training is very important. I am currently doing P90x, but am a Cathe addict at heart and continue to sneak her cardio into the rotation. I've had excellent, excellent results.

I also think it's very important to mix things up, so every three months, I've tweaked things to keep it interesting for me both eating and exercise wise.

Here is a typical day at the moment:

8:00am - protein bar (low sugar, low carb) on the drive into work. I have two kids in daycare full time, so mornings are a little too busy for a real breakfast

10:30/11am - Protein pancake (made with egg whites, low fat cottage cheese, oatmeal and fruit)

1pm - Lunch is some type of lean protein, a complex carb and a green veggie (i.e. grilled chicken, sweet potato & broccoli)

3:30pm - Shrimp & asparagus OR pear and string cheese OR tuna salad and apple OR...well, you get the idea

6:00pm - Dinner is usually very light because I workout at night after I put my boys to bed, so I'll usually have a piece of baked fish or turkey burger on the George Foreman with a small side salad

8:30pm - WORKOUT

9:45pm - post workout protein shake

I journaled in the beginning, but I don't feel the need anymore. I highly recommend it though if you are just starting out.

My "cheat day" has evolved into more of a few "treat moments" on the weekends. That way I don't ever feel completely disconnected from the program and it's not nearly as difficult to get back on track. I eat the BFL way every single day, but allow myself one or two goodies when I really need it...rather than gorge myself on any given day. I would get literally sick on the cheat day and hated the way I felt, so I adjusted it to make it work for me.

I think the program is aptly named...Body for LIFE...because I know I can eat this way for the rest of my life. I feel completely in control, I don't binge, I don't deny myself, I don't feel deprived, I don't constantly think about food. It IS a lot of work to stay consistent with any program, but once you find YOUR groove, it's a blessing. I have streamlined the prep process and rely on cooking a lot on the weekends for the week. Go to the BFL website and try some recipes to see what works for you.

I hope I've helped. Please feel free to ask me anything. Good luck!

RE:

Thanks for answering my questions.The first time I did BFL, I did it for 2 weeksx( The cheat day got the best of me! I know now to only allow myself a cheat meal or a dessert but I plan on keeping the rest of my day a 4-5 meal day.Every since I tried it (2 years ago) I wanted to do it again but I never had the motivation.Now that it is almost jeans time again(summer is comming to an end) I feel the need to make sure my jeans aren't going to feel to tight.
I am glad that you described your day b/c I feel like I am not doing the plan right if I don't do exactly what the book says.The first time I did it, I did my workouts before eating etc..I have since changed jobs and cannot workout in the morning.I would rather save my workout for later in the day.Its nice to know that I will still see results.
I have recently purchased a new shake.Its one of the low carb shakes,taste great,and will probably be good for my last meal of the day.
I run alot so I can't do just 20 min runs! I need more cardio then what the book calls for.I have been doing alot of cardio lately so I am hoping with the aug rotation I will see some nice results b/c it is more legs focused.If I do, I may keep the rotation for another month and maybe just change the workout videos but still do legs.
I think I can stick to the program pretty well, if I don't let myself get to hungry AND I plan my meals for the day.I will actually need to get some snacks ready earlier in the day.
Thanks again for your help, its nice to know that I don't have to follow the program EXACTLY and I will still see results.The lack of sweets alone will help me drop 5 lbs!:)
Lori:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.