workout DVD's recomendations

lulu68

Cathlete
I had been posting on the oppening dicusion board, but I'm thinking this is where I belong. I need some cardio/weight dvd's and I'm looking at adding the following to my workout library. Let me know what you think?

Cross Train Express
Imax2
crossfire
To The Max
circut blast
timesaver
Imax3
I also love doing kick boxing workouts and was wondering wish one from the kick boxing workout dvd's would you recomend? Thanks!

Lulu

I like kick punch crunxh. I dont like kickboxing UNTIL I did this one. I really love it. Plhs it has another wo on same dvd called legs and glutes I love that one to. There is premixes galore on here as well. I havnt even tried them yet. I hear it has one that mixes kickbox and the legs like a circuit on it. Hum im getting in the mood to try that one!

Hi there Lulu,

I have all the workouts you mentioned except for Cross Train Xpress (but it's on my list too!). I think all the ones you mentioned are very good and worth getting. A few things to consider:

1) Can you do high impact cardio? All the cardio's you have on your list are very advanced and high impact. You could *modify*, but IMO they will lose that intensity factor.

2) Do you like complex step choreo? You have selected a few (Timesaver, Imax 2, Imax 3 -- all have step portions with a learning curve). If that's not your thing, and you want more athletic-type cardio with high intensity, then I would lean more towards TTM or CF. If you like both (like me :D) then you're good to go!

3) As for Timesaver, I would recommend you invest in the entire Body Blast Series instead. Something about that entire series just makes me happy. I love the workouts, I love Cathe's personality. With Timesaver you get bits n' pieces, and you will lose out on how great the series is as A WHOLE. That's my 2 cents anyway :D.

As for strength w/o's, I would HIGHLY recommend High Reps!!! It's a kick-butt total body weight training w/o :eek:. Now, if you want a another kick-butt LB/UB split weight training w/o, I give 2 thumbs-up to Pyramid UB/LB!!!

I like Kick, Punch, Crunch! It's my favorite Cathe kickbox :D (if you get the Body Blast Series, you'll have that one ;)). I also like MMA Boxing.

HTH!

Natasha

Crossfire and To the Max would be my favorites in the ones you listed there. I also really like and enjoy Circuit Blast. Full Disclosure: I'm not a choreography person :eek: which would explain why I wouldn't choose the others. If you do like choreography, Cathe's Imax 2 seems to be a perennial favorite among Cathletes.

As for kickboxing...Kick Punch Crunch is a classic! :D

Hi there Lulu,

I have all the workouts you mentioned except for Cross Train Xpress (but it's on my list too!). I think all the ones you mentioned are very good and worth getting. A few things to consider:

1) Can you do high impact cardio? All the cardio's you have on your list are very advanced and high impact. You could *modify*, but IMO they will lose that intensity factor.

2) Do you like complex step choreo? You have selected a few (Timesaver, Imax 2, Imax 3 -- all have step portions with a learning curve). If that's not your thing, and you want more athletic-type cardio with high intensity, then I would lean more towards TTM or CF. If you like both (like me :D) then you're good to go!

3) As for Timesaver, I would recommend you invest in the entire Body Blast Series instead. Something about that entire series just makes me happy. I love the workouts, I love Cathe's personality. With Timesaver you get bits n' pieces, and you will lose out on how great the series is as A WHOLE. That's my 2 cents anyway :D.

As for strength w/o's, I would HIGHLY recommend High Reps!!! It's a kick-butt total body weight training w/o :eek:. Now, if you want a another kick-butt LB/UB split weight training w/o, I give 2 thumbs-up to Pyramid UB/LB!!!

I like Kick, Punch, Crunch! It's my favorite Cathe kickbox :D (if you get the Body Blast Series, you'll have that one ;)). I also like MMA Boxing.

HTH!

Natasha

Hi Natasha,
Yes I love high impact cardio! I will definately be buying crossfire and To the Max! Thank you so much for your rundown on the workouts. I definate dread complex choreography, It stresses me out and just give up. The workouts look like so much fun and tough, I would hate to miss out on this just because of the choreography. Yes, I absolutely love more of the athletic workouts, so if you have anymore that you can recoment please do. I have kick, punch and crunch,wish I love by the way, but I've used it so many times its not working properly anymore, so I will consider the body blast serious for the future. I also own pyrymid lb/ub, wish I love also. I will also consider high reps to add to my list. Thanks a lot, your breakdown on the workouts really help me decide on wish ones to purchase.

Lulu

What about the entire STS shock cardio serious, would you recomend that? Ther reason I'm asking is because I will adding MMA and circut blast to my workout library. Just want to know if it's worth getting the whole bundle for STS shock cardio. Thank you!

Lulu

Glad I could help ;).

I have the entire STS Shock Cardio series. There are 2 workouts that have more complex step: Athletic Step & Step Moves. The rest are hiit, MMA, Cardio Core Circuit, Circuit Blast. The 3pk hiit's are great -- they will really test your cardio endurance. Cardio Core Circuit has a definite "kick-butt" factor -- tough, tough! The MMA's are more intermediate-advanced -- good workouts when you don't feel like getting slayed ;). Circuit Blast is fun...tougher than it looks :eek:. I feel as though it would be worth it to get the entire bundle, but then again I use every single workout -- even the step ones. So it's entirely up to you. Who knows, you may even venture into the wonderful world of complex step one day :D;).

Do you have a lot of lower body workouts? I really like Lower Body Blast. It has everything: standing work, floor work, barre work. Lots of premixes too so you can make the workout as long or as short as you want!

Another workout that I am fond of is Slide & Glide. It's part of the Low Impact Series. I'm a high impact junkie, but I do alternate between high/low to give my knee's a break. For Slide & Glide, you get a 20min cardio segment that uses the discs. The rest of the workout is a great toning section using the discs and a firewalker band. I'm not a wuss, and the day after doing this workout I had all sorts of DOMS :eek::D.

Oh man, the possibilities are endless with Cathe ;)

Glad I could help ;).

I have the entire STS Shock Cardio series. There are 2 workouts that have more complex step: Athletic Step & Step Moves. The rest are hiit, MMA, Cardio Core Circuit, Circuit Blast. The 3pk hiit's are great -- they will really test your cardio endurance. Cardio Core Circuit has a definite "kick-butt" factor -- tough, tough! The MMA's are more intermediate-advanced -- good workouts when you don't feel like getting slayed ;). Circuit Blast is fun...tougher than it looks :eek:. I feel as though it would be worth it to get the entire bundle, but then again I use every single workout -- even the step ones. So it's entirely up to you. Who knows, you may even venture into the wonderful world of complex step one day :D;).

Do you have a lot of lower body workouts? I really like Lower Body Blast. It has everything: standing work, floor work, barre work. Lots of premixes too so you can make the workout as long or as short as you want!

Another workout that I am fond of is Slide & Glide. It's part of the Low Impact Series. I'm a high impact junkie, but I do alternate between high/low to give my knee's a break. For Slide & Glide, you get a 20min cardio segment that uses the discs. The rest of the workout is a great toning section using the discs and a firewalker band. I'm not a wuss, and the day after doing this workout I had all sorts of DOMS :eek::D.

Oh man, the possibilities are endless with Cathe ;)

Yes, you are right...so many to choose from! The following will be on my Christmas wish list, let me know how it looks?

Christmas wish list:
Cross Fire
To The Max
Cross Train Express
Sliding Disc
Firewalder bands

For the Future (birthdays, mothers day, anniversary, etc)

Body Blast Serious
STS Cardio Shock
lower body blast
Slide and Glide
X-Train- for sure

Again thank you so much for all your help and taking the time to give me a breakdown on the workouts...really was a big help!!!

Lulu

Yes, you are right...so many to choose from! The following will be on my Christmas wish list, let me know how it looks?

Christmas wish list:
Cross Fire
To The Max
Cross Train Express
Sliding Disc
Firewalder bands

For the Future (birthdays, mothers day, anniversary, etc)

Body Blast Serious
STS Cardio Shock
lower body blast
Slide and Glide
X-Train- for sure

Again thank you so much for all your help and taking the time to give me a breakdown on the workouts...really was a big help!!!

Lulu

Your Xmas wish list looks great. Are you sure you want Cross Train Xpress? There is complex choreo in some of the step w/o's (as per the description). FYI when you see a step routine that has "fun choreography" listed in the description, that means it can be dancy/complex. You mentioned not being a fan of complex step -- that's why I asked. Remember, the best workouts for YOU are the ones you will actually enjoy and use.

The sliding discs are used in all of Cathe's Low Impact Series as well as some of the low impact segments in Crossfire & To The Max. You will need the firewalker bands for these workouts too. Good choice :eek:.

Good luck!

Natasha

Hi Lulu,
I just wanted to add a quick note to let you know that there are video clips on this site that you can check out to see the workouts, which may also help you decide. Some of the clips are nice and long, about 8-10 minutes, so you can get a sense of the overall "flavor" to decide if it looks like something you would like. You can find the clips here, Cathe Friedrich - Video Clips. Just click on view under each video. The LIS clips are short, but the older ones are longer.

Eva

Last edited:
Your Xmas wish list looks great. Are you sure you want Cross Train Xpress? There is complex choreo in some of the step w/o's (as per the description). FYI when you see a step routine that has "fun choreography" listed in the description, that means it can be dancy/complex. You mentioned not being a fan of complex step -- that's why I asked. Remember, the best workouts for YOU are the ones you will actually enjoy and use.

The sliding discs are used in all of Cathe's Low Impact Series as well as some of the low impact segments in Crossfire & To The Max. You will need the firewalker bands for these workouts too. Good choice :eek:.

Good luck!

Natasha

You are correct natasha. I will skip cross Train Express for now. I don't want it sitting on my shelve like Turbor Jam. Thnaks!

Lulu

If you like kickboxing and already have KPC and I'd consider getting Susan Chung's Rapidfire Results. It is a great mix of kicks and punches, has some light compound weight work mixed in (with premixes that omit it). She's a great instructor, by far the best kickboxing workout I've come across in awhile. I know she has RFR 3 as well not sure if it's released yet. (The first RapidFire workout didnt get as rave reviews as Rapid Fire Results)

Rapidfire Results with Susan Chung (Rapid Fire)

If you like kickboxing and already have KPC and I'd consider getting Susan Chung's Rapidfire Results. It is a great mix of kicks and punches, has some light compound weight work mixed in (with premixes that omit it). She's a great instructor, by far the best kickboxing workout I've come across in awhile. I know she has RFR 3 as well not sure if it's released yet. (The first RapidFire workout didnt get as rave reviews as Rapid Fire Results)

Rapidfire Results with Susan Chung (Rapid Fire)

What she said! :D Rapid Fire (2) Results reminded me a lot of Cathe's KPC, actually.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.