Working Out and Weight Loss

katrid

Hi everybody. Well, I need as much advice as possible, from Cathe or anybody else. I need to lose 60 lbs., and although I was following WW, but after a really HORRIBLE month of events, I dropped out and now that I'm trying to get over my cold and the fall is here, I'm ready to start back full swing. I want to get into the best shape of my life. I have been reading this site, Firmbeliever's site, the Taebo site, you name it. I also have a gym membership at Bally's so I have no excuses. I have all of Cathe's tapes with exception of the New strength series and Rhythmic step (I DO have Power Hour) and I have most of the Firm's and I have a few Taebo's (and other tapes thrown in there). It is a waste having these tapes and not putting them into use. However, I do tend to get overwelmed with having so many at the same time. Does that sound crazy? I am 5'4", weigh about 195, and am a pear. I want to lose everywhere, but mainly my lower body. If somebody could suggest or devise a wonderful rotation for me, or any other suggestions for that matter, I would LOVE to hear from you. Also, I probably won't be going back to WW since I am a single mom and I'm finding that it is kind of expensive. I am going to commit to cutting out my sugar and drinking tons of water. PLEASE...........and advice or suggestions are welcomed. I feel desperate!!

Hey, Katrid. There you are. (Can't get rid of me, can you?) I must confess that I've also gotten away from WW after the 11th. Can't seem to get with it again. Anyhoo, I wanted to respond to your rotation inquiry becuz I had found a couple here a few weeks back that look terrific. My favorite is from a thread called "How to get in shape for my wedding". This thing has about 10 different rotations that you mix and match and can end up using all your Cathe vids. Also there's a "Weight loss rotation" that looks great. (Just do a search for these threads). Both of these were designed by Cathe (I think). Also, there is a Cathe/Firm rotation somewhere. I have a copy, but I don't know the name of the thread to do a search. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll send it to you. With this rotation, you can use just about ALL of your tapes. Looks like fun and takes out the guess work. Anyhoo, good luck on your more water and no sweets venture. I'm trying to do the same only adding less fat gms and more fiber gms into the plan also.

Have a great day, Robin.

Hey Robin!!! I did post last week (and I thought early)on WW challenge, but I think it got overlooked!!! LOL. Anyhow, I have been struggling big time. I almost feel like I'm in a rut. I get gung-ho to workout while I'm at work, but at night when I get home I'm just wore out. I do think some of it is psychological, and the other is I've been fighting a nasty cold, bad back, you name it the past few weeks or more. It just hasn't been a good month! I will check out those rotations. I've even thought about doing alot of cardio (mainly kickboxing or Taebo) in the a.m. (that is VERY hard for me) and throwing in a total body workout a few nights a week (like MIS or Power Hour). I just don't know what to do........I feel overwelmed! Have you ever gotten like this? I think part of my problem too is that I want to date, yet I look in the mirror and think to myself, who would want to date me looking like this? I don't want to sound conceited, but my face isn't bad, it's my body!! And where do you go to meet decent men? Sorry for rambling, but sometimes this rambling helps the psyche!!! LOL. Thanks for your help Robin, and I will check out those rotations.

Katrid, you will NEVER regret doing your workout in the a.m. It's so hard to get up, but you get used to it and it is the best thing. Gotta go to bed at a decent hour tho. I have gone a week at a time doing 2 workouts per day. But it doesn't last and can cause burnout. I think once a day is healthiest. Also too much will send you into starvation mode. THAT'S NO GOOD. Pull out some clothes you used to wear or buy a "goal" outfit. Hang it up where you can see it. That works pretty well for me. OK, not diet-wise, but it does get me up at 5a.m. for a workout!! See ya, Robin.

You Go!

Hey Katrid! You're already 1/2 way there!! Sounds to me like you're ready to get serious. Check out those rotations, put your mind to it and JUST DO IT! I give you lots of credit especially being a single Mom. Since you have the tapes, there will be no expense other then your ENERGY! YOU GO GIRL~We are rooting for you!http://www.plaudersmilies.de/happy/xyxthumbs.gif

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: You Go!

Hi. You may have already come across this rotation while searching but Cathe posted a rather extensive exercise regimen for somebody who was trying to lose a moderate amount of weight for her wedding. If you havent seen it let me know I'll try to search for it.

Stacy

A Tip for A.M. workouts

I recently read (I think in Shape?) a way to get yourself into the morning workout routine. The author says to pick one day a week for your morning workout. Keep that appointment with yourself each week for one month, then add another morning, do these two am workouts for a month, add another morning...You get the picture? SO, since I want to start working out in the mornings myself, I think I'm going to start with Wednesday mornings as my A.M. workout. If I do this faithfully for a month, I will then go to Wednesdays and Fridays. (I figure Mondays are hard enough to get up, which is why I picked Weds. for my first attempt. If I make it to Fridays, that leave Friday nights open for a life!!) I also think it makes a huge difference if you pick out the workout you want to do the night before, as well as the clothes to wear. I'm like you, I get pretty flustered looking at all those videos trying to decide!! And hey, that way -you can dream all night about your workout in the morning and how great your going to feel once you do it!! Hope this helps (and sorry it's so long, I can't say anything quickly!!)
Tricia

RE: You Guys Are GREAT!!

You guys are GREAT! I can't thank you enough for your words of encouragement, and boy do I need as much encouragement as possible. My body self-esteem is as low as it can possibly get and I just need to get out of this rut, and not just for a week, but for a LIFETIME. O.K........I'm hoping I'll do this......but I will get up in the a.m. and do Taebo Basic Live before work! There.......I committed to it!!! :) Thanks again you guys, and don't be surprised if you get another pleading of encouragement often from me!!

Kim

RE: Workout Check-Ins on Open Discussion

Hi, Katrid! In addition to the wonderful advice you've already received on this thread, you may also want to participate in the workout Check-Ins that happen on the Open Discussion forum, as a way to write out and share your past week's as well as plan your upcoming week's stuff. Having a lot of fitness buddies during the process can really help, especially if you are rebuilding your workout habits and consistency!

You go, girl!

Annette

Hi Kim

I wanted to add my encouragement & give you a welcome.

With so many rotations & choices out there, it can get overwhelming. I really like Cathe's "help me get in shape for my wedding" rotation that was recommended by a couple of the others. It's flexible & is great for various levels as it progresses from a getting started level to much more challenging. Please try & ease into a fitness plan to give your body a chance to adjust especially since you've been nursing a cold. Many people attempt too much when they start a fitness routine & burn out or become injured. Also try & follow your plan (rotation) for a few weeks & give it a chance to work. Not that you shouldn't substitute a walk on a beautiful fall day instead of Tae Bo. But find a workout plan that's appropriate for your current fitness & don't rush. Getting fit is fun.

Your local library probably has some great books on nutrition. Avoid the pop diet stuff & look for something written by a R.D. Jane Brody's is a classic, Nancy Clark's sports nutrition book is terrific & you don't need to be a jock to find it useful. Miriam Nelson & Deborah Waterhouse both have several good books. WW's is great but you can learn more about healthy eating on a self-study plan.

Debra

RE: Hi Kim

I'll encourage you too! This morning my alarm went off at 5:55 so I could get up and run before my kids get up for school at 7:00. I jumped out of bed, shut off my alarm and jumped back into bed beside my husband's warm bod.

Then, I said to myself, "Self, what do you think you're doing? You'll never get back to sleep and then you'll feel bad all day and have to figrte out how to make up the skipped run and you'll drive us all crazy!" "Man, you are such a nag!" I complained, appreciating how my kids feel when I blah blah blah them! And then, I got up and ran and it felt great!

I find getting started is the hardest part.

With all the horror we have experienced since 9-11, we need to take care of ourselves and each other. Working out's just one way for you to tell yourself that you're important and deserve to cared for the way you care for others. Because you are so important!

Good luck!

B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/petals.gif obbi
Great thread, you guys, thank you as always for being so quick to encourage. You make me so proud!

Hi everybody. Again, I want to thank everybody for your kind words of motivation and support. I tried doing Taebo the other morning, but I nearly coughed up not one, but both my lungs, so I decided that wasn't a great idea. I went to the Dr. last night and I have bronchitis, so I'm hoping now that I have a medicine cabinet full of drugs I am on my way back to full recovery. While I was there we talked about my weight, and he gave me a prescription for Xenical, and told me to research it and if I was interested, I could start the drug after I was through with my meds. Well, I did SOME research on it, but I guess I was beside myself when I found out it would be $119 a month (my insurance will not cover it). I'm a single mom with barely no child support, so I truly can't afford that. Have any of you ever used Xenical?

Again, thanks for your support and hopefully I'll be kicking again real soon!!

Kat

xenical

Hi there! I've never been on Xenical but I've had a few patients on it...it works by blocking the absorbtion of fat (if I'm remembering right-up to 30% of the fat you eat). The main side effect is diarrhea (greasy stools at that) as the fat has to go somewhere if it's blocked. You could get 45 days out of the usual 30 day supply if you eat a fat-free breakfast and only take it twice per day. BUT, I haven't had many people with much luck...granted, the majority of them didn't stay on it long due to side effects, but the rest discovered that just modifying their diet was just as effective and a heckuva lot cheaper ;-) Meridia is another one, I've had people on this with better luck, but it requires closer follow-up as it could raise blood pressure and heart rate. But it definitely helps reduce cravings. IN ALL HONESTY-I don't recommend diet drugs-there is no such thing as a magic pill-they may help get started but too many relapse without the medication. A well-balanced diet (good sources were already mentioned) and a good exercise program (incorporating strength training and flexibility in addition to cardio) is the BEST prescription....AND A GOOD SUPPORT SYSTEM (ie the Forum) IS CRUCIAL!!!!
good luck and take care
julie

RE: xenical

Take it easy, young lady. Before you do anything, you need to get over your bronchitis. There's a wealth of support and information to be had right here. When you feel well, begin exercising and modifying your diet. Ask a question in these forums and you'll get so much info and without spending a dime, you'll drop weight and make the changes necessary to keep it off. It takes time to gain weight. Give yourself the time you need to lose it and be nice to yourself. You have stresses. Being a single mom is tough! If I were you I'd concentrate on getting 100% healthy and then look into diet and exercise to lose weight. Exercise is also a magnificent stress buster. I have several of the first Firm tapes I'd be happy to send you to get started if you e-mail me at [email protected]. One of my favorite sayings is "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step". You know where you want to go. Just one small change and you've a first step. Each next step will follow. Just believe you can and you CAN!

Bobbi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.