talk to me about slow and heavy

i'm getting ready to order some more cathe...

i have:
basic step/body fusion
high step training
high step circuit
body blast series (but not timesavers)
intensity series (including terminator)
CTX

i plan to buy:
RS/IMAX/MIC
PH/MIS/body max
pure strength

what i would like to know is should i get slow and heavy? do the majority of you like it? or do you tend to do pyramids or PS more?

thanx!

I use Slow & Heavy to break thru a plateau, it is kind of a time hog but very effective training. I'll be honest and say I use the Pyramids and PS more...I also love PH and MIS!...:)...Carole

I love Slow and Heavy Back and Chest, and I also like the shoulder and arm exercises. For lower body, I find that Slow and Heavy is not that friendly to my knees (especially slow and heavy lunges), so I prefer PLB. What I love about Slow and Heavy is that you can really play around with the count. Cathe does a "6-up/2-down" count, but I often change it to "5-up/3-down"(two counts seems kind of fast compared to 6), or "4-up/4-down" (usually on shoulders), or even with an emphasis on the negative (3-up/5 down or 2-up/6 down).

I also really like the music in this workout.

I LOVE Slow & Heavy!!!! I can only do it for two weeks max at a time, but it really works well for me!!

Carol
:)

This is probably my favorite strength training Cathe. I think it pretty much covers every area including some wrist curls and rotator stuff. I also like the slow pace. It allows me to work on my form and be able to go heavier. For me second would be PS. I have all of Cathe's. Endurance is used the least here. I kind of push myself to do them once in awhile for a break or do them as a second time during the week to get all of my body in twice. S&H does take up a lot of time.
Diane Sue

It's really SLOW. Depending on you, it can be pretty Heavy too. :p
I like the Legs and Shoulders workout. It's a good series. I still end up doing PS more than this one or the Pyramids. I love how quickly PS makes my arms respond.

I absolutely love S&H...get my best results with it. I also love the Pyramids & PS. Probably in that order.

Ruth:)

I use Slow & Heavy every third month or so, but I only use it for two weeks (I can't stay that focussed for too much longer than that). While it's not my favorite in terms of fun-factor, I do find it to be extremely effective. I much prefer The Pyramids (way more fun and still very effective). I like PS, but for some reason, I just don't do them that often (I don't think they feel as thorough to me as do S&H or The Pyramids). I can tell you that I originally thought I'd never purchase S&H. Now, I'm not at all sorry that I did.

Shelbygirl

Although I personally don't own S/H, Shelbygirl's experience sounds like many others' here who do - they use it less frequently but the results are fairly profound. I don't think S/H was ever meant to be done frequently and over and over again; it's kinda neat to have a series where "less is more" takes on a whole new meaning.

IMHO, Original Poster, considering the workouts you already have, S/H would be your best next investment.

A-Jock

I love S&H. Cathe does say in the begining of the video to use these workouts in shorter rotations, but I will use them for months at a time. I'll alternate (every 3 days) from S&H with either cardio, circuit, or muscle endurance lifting. Susan C.M.:D

I love S & H. I have by far seen the most gains when I am on a rotation of this.

Yes, its a bit of a time hog, but if it is strength gains you are looking for, it is definitely the ticket, esp. for upper body.

Right now I am currently on a 3 week rotation of S and H and then one week of endurance strength workouts. I like the results and the week of endurance work is a nice break (mentally) from the slow counts in S & H.

Take care, Lynn M.

Since the November rotation is all S&H and PS series (neither of which I have) what substitutes can be used for them? I have the CTX, Intensity, Power Hour-BodyMax-MIS, KPC/L&G dvds.

Thanks.
Shopgirl

Shopgirl, MIS is closest to S&H than the others you listed. Cathe uses a slower count (not necessarily a heavier weight) to really challenge the muscles.

Slow and Heavy is the bomb! I'm doing it this week and my arms were fried last night. You don't use it too-too often, but it really does feel good!

I started on the November rotation yeserday after it was posted. S&H is so great. I don't use it a lot because it is hard to fit in, however I am on day 2 and have DOMS already. I'lll most likely use the November rotation fairly regulary because it does incorporate S&H. The music is reat in teh series too.

so it sounds like i should go ahead and get S&H.. but knowing that i won't be using it all the often...

it will finish out what i plan to buy of cathe's older stuff (i think).

i can't imagine that i would want to do this more than 1 week at a time (or rather 3 days at a time) with other stuff interspersed.. as it is i do mini rotations (i.e. ctx one week... PUB/PLB mixed with other worouts another week)...

desertbriez:

I think S&H is a very wise investment. I would try to stick with it for 3 weeks and then move on to something else. You will see major strength improvements if you give it your all and stay focused.

Also, you can use S&H by doing doing one bodypart per day and then tacking on a short cardio (ie the cardio portion of CTX) for a six day rotation. That may help you keep focus for a 3 week time period since you are only doing one bodypart/day. This is my favorite way to workout and always like the results I get when training this way.

Good luck! Keep us posted if you end up getting the series!

Lynn M.

The more I do S&H the more I like it!! I just started doing one bodypart this week with 30 minutes of ctx cardio and am really enjoying it:)

You can't go wrong with this purchase;)
Good Luck!!
~Nicole

Diane sue

You have such great definition, would you mind sharing how often you do do upper body weights? sometimes i think once a week isn't enough.
tia, Wendy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.