Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > Video & DVD Questions and Comments

Video & DVD Questions and Comments Feel free to ask or make comments about any of our Cathe Friedrich videos and DVDs.

talk to me about slow and heavy

This is a discussion on talk to me about slow and heavy within the Video & DVD Questions and Comments forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; i'm getting ready to order some more cathe... i have: basic step/body fusion high step training high step circuit body ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Banned

Default talk to me about slow and heavy

i'm getting ready to order some more cathe...

i have:
basic step/body fusion
high step training
high step circuit
body blast series (but not timesavers)
intensity series (including terminator)
CTX

i plan to buy:
RS/IMAX/MIC
PH/MIS/body max
pure strength

what i would like to know is should i get slow and heavy? do the majority of you like it? or do you tend to do pyramids or PS more?

thanx!
Old 10-26-2004, 03:52 PM
Cathlete
Mckmain's Profile Fields

Default RE: talk to me about slow and heavy

I use Slow & Heavy to break thru a plateau, it is kind of a time hog but very effective training. I'll be honest and say I use the Pyramids and PS more...I also love PH and MIS!...:)...Carole

Old 10-26-2004, 03:56 PM
DeCathelete
kathryn's Profile Fields

I love Slow and Heavy Back and Chest, and I also like the shoulder and arm exercises. For lower body, I find that Slow and Heavy is not that friendly to my knees (especially slow and heavy lunges), so I prefer PLB. What I love about Slow and Heavy is that you can really play around with the count. Cathe does a "6-up/2-down" count, but I often change it to "5-up/3-down"(two counts seems kind of fast compared to 6), or "4-up/4-down" (usually on shoulders), or even with an emphasis on the negative (3-up/5 down or 2-up/6 down).

I also really like the music in this workout.

^. .^
> ^ <

5k racewalking PR: 34:42 (11/26/11)
Old 10-26-2004, 05:28 PM
Carol_is_fit

I LOVE Slow & Heavy!!!! I can only do it for two weeks max at a time, but it really works well for me!!

Carol
:-)
Old 10-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Cathlete

This is probably my favorite strength training Cathe. I think it pretty much covers every area including some wrist curls and rotator stuff. I also like the slow pace. It allows me to work on my form and be able to go heavier. For me second would be PS. I have all of Cathe's. Endurance is used the least here. I kind of push myself to do them once in awhile for a break or do them as a second time during the week to get all of my body in twice. S&H does take up a lot of time.
Diane Sue
Old 10-26-2004, 06:58 PM
Cathlete

It's really SLOW. Depending on you, it can be pretty Heavy too. :P
I like the Legs and Shoulders workout. It's a good series. I still end up doing PS more than this one or the Pyramids. I love how quickly PS makes my arms respond.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:07 PM
Cathlete
starlight6's Profile Fields

I absolutely love S&H...get my best results with it. I also love the Pyramids & PS. Probably in that order.

Ruth:-)
Old 10-27-2004, 07:41 AM
Cathlete
Shelbygirl's Profile Fields

I use Slow & Heavy every third month or so, but I only use it for two weeks (I can't stay that focussed for too much longer than that). While it's not my favorite in terms of fun-factor, I do find it to be extremely effective. I much prefer The Pyramids (way more fun and still very effective). I like PS, but for some reason, I just don't do them that often (I don't think they feel as thorough to me as do S&H or The Pyramids). I can tell you that I originally thought I'd never purchase S&H. Now, I'm not at all sorry that I did.

Shelbygirl
Old 10-27-2004, 08:46 AM
Cathlete
Aquajock's Profile Fields

Although I personally don't own S/H, Shelbygirl's experience sounds like many others' here who do - they use it less frequently but the results are fairly profound. I don't think S/H was ever meant to be done frequently and over and over again; it's kinda neat to have a series where "less is more" takes on a whole new meaning.

IMHO, Original Poster, considering the workouts you already have, S/H would be your best next investment.

A-Jock
Old 10-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Cathlete
scm's Profile Fields

I love S&H. Cathe does say in the begining of the video to use these workouts in shorter rotations, but I will use them for months at a time. I'll alternate (every 3 days) from S&H with either cardio, circuit, or muscle endurance lifting. Susan C.M.:D