Step Intensity

MasonK

Cathlete
Hello to all you Cathe crowd. Question: I am currently doing the CTX Series plus Step Fit and CardioKicks. I wonder if any of you can rate the intensity of Cathe's all step videos -- from the most intense to the least intense. I also have the wedding tape -- which I now do on a weekend sometimes when I want a "lighter" workout -- and I do both portions back to back. I did StepFit this morning -- and I consider it a pretty high intensity tape, but wondered how it compared with Mega Step Blast, or Step Jam or the other tapes.

Thanks for any input.

Kathleen

Hi, Kathleen! I don't know what the least intense of Cathe's step tapes are, but I do know that the most intense is Interval Max. Cathe ain't whistlin' Dixie when she says in the intro to that tape, "This will push you to your cardiovascular limit!" I would add that it pushes your thigh muscle power to the limit as well. No heart rates or ratings of perceived exertion are taken during this workout - you KNOW you're at the wall!

I'm in a bit of I-Max withdrawal right now - I decided to go a bit easier on myself this August, and I was doing I-Max 2X per week; now I'm down to 1X per week, to bring in some more variety. Interval training is considered the best overall cardio training mode out there, and I-Max is the best of the best.

Annette

Thanks Annette -- I guess this means I'll be purchasing another Cathe tape. Too bad I've been a gradual purchaser -- now with the CTX series and 5 others (including MIC which pretty much kills me... But I do it!) - in hindsight I could have gotten a couple of these for free... Oh well -- here I go -- adding tape number 13 to my library!

Thanks for your reply.
K-

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-01 AT 09:05AM (Est)[/font][p]I agree that Interval Max is the most intense but as far as Cathe's all step tapes only (no intervals) I'd probably rank Step Works and Power Max at the higher end of intensity. Step Heat, The Wedding Video, Step Max and Mega Step Blast at the lower end (with the wedding video being the least intense) and then Step Jam and Step Fit somewhere in the middle. Of course this is just a general statement, and don't think that the tapes in the lesser intensity category aren't intense, because they are not lacking in intensity! My favorite tape is Step Jam. I enjoy the music and the moves in that one alot. Hope I haven't forgotten any tapes. Oh yeah, Rhythmic Step. I'm still learning that one so I'm not sure where it falls yet, but my guess would be it would fall in the middle category with Step Jam and Step Fit.

:) Stacy

I find MIC and Bodymax to be the highest intensity workouts for me - they are both tough!!
Erica

Hey Annette!

Not to disagree but I think there is ONE PE test taken in the middle?? I think Cathe says something like "5 down, 5 to go!" and they break for a brief (VERY BRIEF) moment. That's when I RUN, not WALK to get a drink of water! Ha! Love, Love, Love that tape.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

MIC and Bodymax get my vote!

Especially when done with an 8 inch step. The Blast Section in MIC really gets me going!

WOW!

I also find Cardio Kicks pretty intense if one jumps high enough and really goes all out on the jabs, kicks, etc.

IMO, Interval Max and Circuit Max are not all that difficult. I love the soundtracks, but I rate them at a little lower intensity than the abovementioned.

As for Rhythmic Step, its choreography has to be the most challenging Cathe to date -- and she does not break it down either! But when you learn it -- fun, fun, fun! I use an 8" step for it too and it is a pretty good workout!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.