is some cardio also a leg workout?

nightowl81

Cathlete
Is some cardio considered also a leg workout? ie; step workouts, running, kickboxing.. in IMAX 3 Cathe does some plyo lunges off the step, would this be considered leg work? Should I not work legs the next day if I feel my legs were worked in cardio the day before?

It depends what you mean by "leg work." In terms of strength training, I'd say no because to develop strength and mass you need to overload the muscle (that is, add weight). I would think cardio work would provide endurance benefits to the leg muscles, but only until your body adapts to it. And I don't think it would be comparable to the unweighted leg work you'd do in, say, Butts & Guts. In my opinion, you need to train the legs separately from the cardio work. Although you can certainly get some cardio benefits from doing a good leg routine.

That said, if your legs are fried for any reason, skip the leg workout for a day. If you're just a bit sore you should use your own judgment.

Thanks for asking that question, I have been wondering the same thing for awhile, my legs get a great workout on the step blasts in 4DS, for example, and my heart rate goes up during walking lunges and squats. So they seem to have some overlap for me! I was wondering if that would get better as I got in better shape.....

Not sure if this is right or wrong but for me I like to consider Butts & Gutts as one of my cardio days. My heart-rate stays up there for most of the workout. It is a great metabolism boost and endurance workout! Oh sure and even though I do it once a week I still end up a bit sore the next day - love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Tom Venuto's recent newsletters for BFFM said the following regarding HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) aerobic training:

Every HIIT workout could be considered a leg workout and therefore, recovery is required.

So I would think that SOME cardio is a leg workout. I know that the intensity blasts in Cathe's HIIT workouts require me to do recovery for my legs.

I don't have a definitive answer, but wanted to include this.

Lisa

I think running hills is both cardio and a leg workout. My legs are always sore the next day.

Is some cardio considered also a leg workout? ie; step workouts, running, kickboxing.. in IMAX 3 Cathe does some plyo lunges off the step, would this be considered leg work? Should I not work legs the next day if I feel my legs were worked in cardio the day before?

Cathe does a really nice job of using Cardio Legs along with traditional Leg strength in her Lower Body Blast Rotations...FitnessFreak (debbie) does as well.... Pull up some of their rotations that are lower focused & you'll get an idea of the workouts as well as the sequencing.... People have had TREMENDOUS success using them.
Both Cathe & Debbie have several for this focus

Just wondering the same thing

Hi
I just posted a similar question on the STS forum. I was worried that doing a killer kick boxing class would be considered a legs workout if they had tonnes of squats. I still won't put them next to each other in a rotation but at least now I have a clue about weights versus cardio. There is so much stuff out there about how we only need a little cardio and alot of weights. I have been cutting back on cardio and I think that may be a correlation to the weight gain versus the increase in weight training.

That was a great article... I had no idea they were out there! I just did cardio fusion... some of cardio fusion I should say. Wow I have not been pushing myself to go outside my comfort zone! I need to do that way more often!

Heather

I came across it on the bottom of the home page of Cathe. Go to the home page & scroll way down you will come to a box that has articles by Cathe. Hope that helps.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.