Pure Strength Series

Shelbygirl

Cathlete
Hello Everyone.

For those of you who have all of Cathe's weight workouts, do you still use the Pure Strength Series? I tried working it into a rotation this month and just couldn't stay with it. I couldn't help but think, why do PS when I can do PLB/PUB or a double set of Push Pull? What benefits do you get from PS that you don't get elsewhere? I'm worried that when Hard Core arrives, this little series will get sadly neglected.

Shelbygirl

Hi Shelbygirl,

I have a hard time as it is trying to build upper body muscle, but this series DID give results last year. I can't seem to keep interest because it is dated & a bit boring IMO. I don't like the music either. I will probably end up selling it on Ebay when HC arrives. I think the new Gym Style training will be an updated version of the PS series.

Aila:)

edited for typos

Hi Shelbygirl,

I have used it recently and definately see it's value. That said, I usually don't reach for it much. It has always seemed dated to me, even when it was new. I really don't care for the music either. I am really looking for forward to the HC series to take it's place. I don't think I will sell PSS. It will just get used less.

jordan

I love this series. I always fit a PS rotation in about once every two months. I like it because it uses little equipment and gives me great results. I agree it's dated, but that doesn't bother me. I never get bored doing PS. On the other hand, I can only do PUB in small doses because that workout bores me to tears!

I use it frequently as is, or sometimes I'll work it into a 1-2 body parts per day rotation where I'll do for example PS chest + CTX chest on the same day.

YES, definitely yes. PS allowed me to do bench presses and rows using a 60 lb. BB. I believe it also helped me use 15/20/25 for those pull-ups in PUB and 8/10/12 for the lateral raises and reverse flyes for PUB shoulder work. I do use Cathe's weights for front raises. I like PS because those sets of 10 reps allow me to use more weight, as opposed to many of Cathe's high-rep workouts, which are more geared towards endurance. When the HC series comes out, I will still find a way to use PS in my rotations.

Pinky

I use the Pure Strength series quite often. Sometimes parts and sometimes as is. The last two weeks I have been using Pure Strength but adding on to the upper body parts with the ctx series. Then on the other two days of upper and lower I am using PP 3 sets and adding extra floor work to the PP lower. I have alway recieved good results with Pure Strength.
Diane Sue

Thanks for you comments everyone. You gave me some ideas on how to keep PS alive in my collection.

Thanks,
Shelbygir.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.