new firm video set

saralh

Cathlete
Has anyone seen or tried the new firm video sculpting set? It comes with 2 sculpting tapes, an all ab tape, and their new fanny lifter, made of plastic- all for about 89$. I saw it on collagevideo.com under new items. I like some of the firm videos, like Tough Tape, cross trainers strength, and supersculpting. I recently bought Cathe's Power Hour but have yet to try it... how does it compare to the Firm? Any info on any of this is appreciated! Thanks!

Hi! I don't think the new Firms are out quite yet. They are due to hit the market on Jan. 18, although I think you can basically pre-order them from Collage. I haven't, and am waiting for reviews to come out on Collage and on the Firm forum. Plus, since I've been doing the Firm for years and already have two of their old wooden "fanny lifters," (14 inches and 10 inches) I'm not interested in buying the new one, so am hoping that, if I eventually decide to purchase the videos, I don't have to get the other new step too.

I too am waiting eagerly to see what people think!:)

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-01 AT 01:47AM (Est)[/font][p]I just read this post and went to check out that new set inmediately. I saw the re-released Super Cardio, Super Sculpting and Total Body Shaping mix on Friday but I didn't notice they had this new set. Thanks for this saralh. Anyway I watched the previews on collage and I was laughing so hard. I think this is the set they are going to market in their new infomercial. Infomercials give me a headache ewwwwww! Somehow the products that companies market via infomercials have few or no credibility in my eyes. About the videos.... Everything is different! The set is "industrial" and there are no mirrors! :eek: The music is also different and the workout clothes are in sync. (Hmmmmmmm someone has been watching Cathe's videos in that new production company). The tapes are shorter than usual and there's nothing new about them in terms of the exercises. However the ab tape looks like one I might get. But then again why would I have to buy the whole freaking set ($89.95??? Yeah right!!!) when I just want that video???. I certainly don't need another tall box in my house even if it's made of "sturdy, lightweight polymers". Nice try FIRM people. I'm staying with Cathe.

<<About the videos.... Everything is different! The set is "industrial" and there are no mirrors! >>

I keep hearing that there is no mirrors in the new firm videos. What exactly does this mean?

Thanks,
Wendy

Hehehehe...yeah, I think that The Firm has been spying on Cathe. I actually like the new set, as I always thought the other sets were gaudy. The new set is identical to the Crunch set (look at the streaming video from Crunch Fat Burning Yoga), so I'm pretty sure it's the same set. As far as the plastic, err...I mean polymer box goes, I'll keep my $15.00 Rubbermaid box, thank you! When and if The Firm releases in dvd, I will consider plunking my money down...no sooner (and if purchasing the box is part of the deal--forget it).

Finally, I commend Cathe for respecting the intelligence of her fans/customers.

><<About the videos.... Everything is different! The set is "industrial" and there are no mirrors! >>
>
>I keep hearing that there is
>no mirrors in the new
>firm videos. What exactly does
>this mean?
>
>Thanks,
>Wendy

Hi Wendy

The Firm used to film with the instructor facing the class, and a large mirror behind the class (Or was the mirror behind the instructor?). Some of the shots were taken of the class and some shots were taken of the class in the mirrors. It did give them a "in the class" feel when working out with them. Often you see the front of the instructor and the back of the instructor and class in the same shot.

no comparison

I don't think you can compare the Firm to Cathe. Firm uses lighter weights, much faster reps, plus if I remember correctly, they combine weights with aerobics. The tapes are not at all personal like Cathe; they are canned, commercialized, almost robotic. I haven't touched my Firm tapes in about 2 years. There is little instruction, little encouragement, and no sense of humor like Cathe. I just don't think you can compare them at all. I think Cathe's workouts are superior to the Firm. Once I found Cathe, I never looked back! :)

just another opinion - marnie

changing

Hi,
I hope the new videos and new management havent changed the Firm too much. Those video previews didn't look like the Firm at all. There sure aren't any mirrors! I liked them! what I wouldn't have missed were the carpets and murals? The mirrors should have stayed and the good production and camera angles...I dont want my Firm tapes to look like crunch tapes! I hope Fitprime makes videos like the old Firm but modernize them a bit and YES, please let them learn a few things from Cathe...she does her thing well!

RE: no comparison

I agree with you totally on that one! They are definitly two different workouts Cathe VS Firm. I think it all depends on what you want to achieve and what responds to your own genetics. My thoughts on this (how my body responds)......If you want sleek, swimmer muscles do the Firm (I prefer the firm classics pre 1995), IF you want that defined *come let me kick your butt* look, pump weights with Cathe. Or have the best of both worlds and do both! Cathes PS and S&H series are killer workouts! I can't get into her step stuff. If it takes me more than one time viewing a workout to get the steps then forget it, I feel like I'm wasting workout time, and its not like I can't learn coreography (sp), I used to dance professionally. I don't like cardio videos anyway. I'd rather power walk for my cardio. Or dance!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-01 AT 03:31PM (Est)[/font][p]I used to actually support the Firm complimenting Cathe tapes thing. I don't support it that much anymore. I owe the Firm a lot and it did wake up my passion for fitness, but Cathe is far more challenging and more advanced. Cathe's workouts have pushed me into far more development than I've ever experienced before. I've lost weight quicker and my cardiovascular health is much better than before. I've been doing Cathe exclusive now for a year. She got me to the point where I could run. I'm not a runner but my joints and my fitness level were finally there such that I could become a runner. I thank Cathe for that.

I'm going to check out the Ab tape from the Firm, there aren't very many good, tough, and challenging ab tapes out there are more than a few minutes. So we'll see. And Cathe, if you're reading this . . . hint challenging Ab tape. ;)

Keta. :D

[link:mykbtforum.efree2net.com/|KBT Forum]

[link:home.attbi.com/~marwrihu/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html|Home Page]

Come ON! Give the Firm a break! Have you done the vids yet? NO!

I ordered the set from Collage. And yes, although I have the wooden step, I've always wanted a polymer step -- at one time they offered one, but then had problems with the manufacturer.

I have used every Firm and every Cathe video there is -- except for the few very early Cathe videos. Some I like, some I loathe in both series. All I know is I maintain a nice muscular shape and now wear a size 2 to 6 petite (depending upon manufacturer) by using both series.

And as for spying on Cathe, so what if the Firm did or didn't? Geez, have you ever heard of competition?

The fitness industry, like all others is very competitive, and I am sure S&M also looks at what others in the industry are doing. I know in my business I sure do.......and adopt best practices of competitors and then look at my own best practices.

Anyway, stop complaining about the videos until you do them. Then you can praise or not. But for God's sake, lay off until YOU DO the videos.

I may hate the Firm videos when they arrive, but to be honest, I am not in love with Cathe's Slow and Heavy series. BORING! I much prefer the Power Hour. I have never liked Cathe's Pure Strength Series either. Again, too much time wasted.....and the pace would put Grandma Moses to sleep.

But all in all, I love both Cathe and the Firm and don't know why the heck we all have to be "All Cathe" or "All Firm" Anybody ever heard of ROTATION of FITNESSS METHODOLOGY?

OK, ready to be flamed as usual I am!

Amy Steppe

Good enough for you!

You really should not criticize something YOU haven't tried before. You saw a one minute video stream in poor quality at Collage and all of a sudden you are the expert reviewer of the Firm's latest set. I think I will wait until my set arrives and then make a judgement. If I don't like the set, there is always Ebay.....

Some love the polymer step concept (me for one). And I incoporate the 14" step box into my workouts at least once per week. If I haven't I feel as if I have cheated. Go back and try a Firm tape after doing only Cathe or vice-versa. I do and am always pleasantly surprised in the changes that occur in my muscular definition.

As for the Firm's change in set, so what???????

Case in point:

Notice the changes in Cathe's look and sets through the years. Some of those early sets were nauseating. Like the orange backbround the purple leotards. How about the cheesy lace bike shorts under leotards? Remember Mega Step Blast? And the sets in Step Jam and Step Fit? I didn't base my entire workout on the sets, I based it on the effectiveness of the videos!

So the Firm has changed -- so has Cathe. Look at her sets today and the quality of the sound, etc. Used to be her sound quality was awful!

So what's the big deal? Do you fancy you are somehow impressing Cathe with your snide comments? Well, you might be surprised because I know how fickle so called "fans" like you can be. I've had them too -- the public will turn on you in a heartbeat.

Nuff said now!

Amy

RE: Come ON! Give the Firm a break! Have you done the vids yet? NO!

I would order the Firm tapes from Collage--and probably one at a time unless they gave me some kind of discount--but why do I have to buy the polymer steps? I haven't needed their steps for doing their other tapes, but now they seem to be saying, "You must not substitute your own equipment if you want to do these tapes--it's all or nothing." I don't think it's a good marketing ploy, especially for someone like me, who owns and uses at least 20 Firm tapes, and I guess I find it annoying.

Fair Enough, but....

I see your point and agree about some people not wanting the step and although it was incentive for me to pre order the set realize that not all people feel as I do about the step. I've never substituted a Rubbermaid box and purchased the Firm's wooden steps. I was just cautious about using a box not made for the workout -- but since I've never tried the Rubbermaid box can't speak about its safety, etc.

But as far as purchasing separate videos, you can't always do that with Cathe's video sets, so why the fuss?

For example, to my knowlege you can't order CTX as a broken set.

It seems to me that some people (not you) are being catty and obnoxious about videos they have never viewed completely or done. Video streams have never really worked as a sales tool for me -- they give me a taste of what is in store, but are not the sole basis for my personal video purchases.

RE: Fair Enough, but....

I think CTX is an incredible bargain and I snapped them up when they came out. But those three tapes from the Firm--one of them is just 27 minutes long and all abs. The last Firms I bought were SuperCardio and SuperSculpt, and I think both of these tapes are excellent. I see they are now being sold in Collage as NEW no less, but for $14.95 each. I paid MORE for them as a set when the Firm sent me a brochure in 1999 offering me a "special deal." Hmmm. What this suggests to me is that if I wait long enough, these new tapes will be on sale later, separate from each other and the new polymer steps and probably cheaper. I'm not fussing, just a little annoyed with Firm's way of marketing their goods. (My husband built my 14 inch step for Firm tapes, and I just use my Step lengthwise from the TV for the shorter step segments.)

RE: Fair Enough, but....

You sure won't get any argumet about CTX from me, Lynda. Those videos have just been a God send for a person who wants a great workout in one hour or less. The only of the CTX vids I do not use is the Leaner Legs. I prefer the Firm's leg work -- that 14" box is awesome for sculpting the glutes!

And I understand about waiting until prices drop. I am waiting for the same to occur at Anna's new site -- Prime Fit. I almost ordered the videos and the green medicine ball, but then decided to hold off. I mean, I've pre ordered the new Firms from Collage.

I will eventually get both -- The Firm is like a soap opera. Here is Anna with Tracie and Susan featured on two videos and then there are Jen, Lisa, and Allie on the new Collage videos.

But until Cathe comes out with new videos these new Firms will keep me motivated. The timing is great as I am craving new videos. Only thing is, I wish the Firm would make the transition to DVD.

Cathe is a pioneer in making the transition to advanced videos on DVD.

More and more I've moved away from the Firm to Cathe. I'm greatful that the Firm got me so I could do Cathe. And if it weren't for the firm forum I might not have been introduced to Cathe! Anytho it will be interesting to see where the firm goes... I actually read the new package also includes vitamins... say it isn't so !!!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-02 AT 00:39AM (Est)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-02 AT 00:36 AM (Est)[/font]

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-02 AT 00:30 AM (Est)[/font]

It is so! The Collage Firm set offers vitamins!

Big deal! Oh Egads, NO! Vitamins and a riser? What next, a drop of the instructors' sweat? Who the heck cares? Oh say it isn't so! On please don't take my wussy breath away! Oh God! Western Society will falter because of the new Firm videos, the riser, and the vitamins!

You know, some of you would turn on Cathe in a heartbeat too. T All it takes is a new and challenging instructor who is inevitable to surface in the fitness industry. Nobody goes on forever and ever. Nobody's body can. Except Jack Lalane and I hear he is the original Mummy!

Both Cathe and the Firm have worked damned hard to get where they are. Remember that the Firm is who really introduced women into weight training. They were innovative pioneers and have continued and have a huge fan following.

So if you do not like the sounds of the new Firm videos, do not order them. I am growing tired of this thread now.

Is there one Freaking person reading this thread who is going to admit they might find some redeeming value to the new Firms?

What is the problem here? Am I missing something? Or am I the only one with guts enough to honestly post how I feel?

Just don't order the new Firms. But lay off until you Do the videos. Then you can make an educated critique. . I am not 100% sold on EVERY Cathe or Firm video. There are some I loathe from both Firm and Cathe. Conversely, there are some of both I consider Masterpieces!

So long live Cathe and long live the Firm.

Down with Billy Blanks! Evil kickbox Czar! Vomitricious man with big bucks to spend on marketing of dangerous workouts that can't produce a drop of sweat from my delicate Southern Belle, Tennessee Hillbilly body! I have moutain goats to chase and outhouses to tend. I have to stay fit and need my Firm vitamins! Oh gosh, I'll bet they are laced with Anna Benson's wee-wee!

Now I am being semi silly!

LOL!

RE: Come ON! Give the Firm a break! Have you done the vids yet? NO!

I saw the other day on the FIRM forum that they may sell the 3 tapes as a set without the step...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.