New DVD REcommendation

petramom

Cathlete
I want another Cathe strength DVD (although I have almost all of them). I have S&H, PS Series, GS, Pyramids and ME and MIS. So that leaves 4DS and Muscle Max I believe. I split train, so if I do a whole body workout I need to split the upper and lower portions. I'm assuming Muscle Max has that option since Cathe always has such great DVD chaptering. I have STS on order.

I know, you're going to say I don't NEED another weight workout, and you are right. But I have a gift certificate and I don't do Cathe's cardio (knee problems). And I love love love her strength training. I'm thinking 4DS is a better choice for me even though I probably won't ever do the cardio portions (although you never know ...) because it's a split, which I like, and because it seems to be quite a bit different from the other DVDs I have. (I've read that Muscle Max is very similar to GS.)

Enable me ...

By the way, am I the only one here who still has trouble calling them "DVDs" instead of "tapes?" My kids look at me as if I'm some ancient relic every time I refer to a "tape" (or a "record").

no, I still refer to them as tapes. Still have to correct myself. I still refer to albums as opposed to CDs too!! LOL

In reference what you wrote about, I have 4 DS, have not really gotten into it. The muscle work is short, I feel like I haven't gotten a good workout. (this is probably not true) but I find I need to longer workouts, strength and cardio. I can't split them up like that. The pyramids are my favorite!!
chrissy

I use 4DS much more than MM. I'm currently doing FitnessFreak's December '08 rotation where she has a checkin group doing the rotation as well and I'm learning different ways to utilize the 4DS weight parts of the DVD.

I just can't help you. I enjoy 4DS and MM but since you like splits maybe you should go with 4DS and you may be able to use some of the cardio. Could you use the kickboxing cardio portion?

I'm trying to find a breakdown of 4DS that has the approx. time on the various segments (i.e, how long the triceps work is, or even just how long the weight portion is for any given day). Does anyone know where I could find it?

So is it true that 4DS alone will not be a good weight workout (it seems that the rotations combine it w/something else)? I'm an advanced exerciser.

So is it true that 4DS alone will not be a good weight workout (it seems that the rotations combine it w/something else)? I'm an advanced exerciser.
No, I don't think that's true at all! I LOVE the 4DS (I don't do any of the cardio, BTW. I bought it solely for the weight work). I've found it to be one of the most effective and efficient workouts that Cathe has ever produced! I simply do not believe that you have to do an hour of weight work in order for it to be effective or considered advanced.

The 4DS was designed as a built in rotation with about 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weights done one after the other (there are premixes that allow you to determine if you want to do weights or cardio first). So, done as produced, you get a full workout with cardio and weights in about an hour. I did the weights first premix and followed that with Cardio Coach on my elliptical and I got great results from it.

Cathe posted a 4DS rotation right after it was released and it was great. You might want to check that out. It's the only rotation I ever completed and I loved it!

ETA that the 4DS offers a ton of variety with amazing premixes, so if you really want to work out longer, I'm sure there's a premix that will let you.

Last edited:
I'd actually consider Supersets/PushPull. Though some say it is Cathe's "easier" workout, the premixes have alot of options to make the workout much harder and split up into many different options. I agree Muscle Max is very similar to GS and if you honestly arent going to use the cardio, then I'd pass on 4DS.

I say you NEED Muscle Max! It is my favorite Cathe workout. It does have lower body and upper body premixes, and I use it frequently in conjunction with the GS workouts. It also rounds out my muscle endurance rotations nicely. It's just a great all-around workout.

However, 4DS offers good heavy weight training and there are tons of premixes, so it may be a good option for you since you do split workouts; there are so many ways you could use 4DS.

If you have to pick between the 2 right now, though, I can just tell you that I need my Muscle Max! :eek:

Last edited:
I like MM!

I do Muscle Max and Muscle Endurance regularly, so I couldn't be without them. But I agree about Supersets and Push/Pull ... I get a lot of use out of them, too.

I tend to do the parts videos less, so maybe that's why I'm biased toward the full-body workouts.

I've had MM for a while now, and I just bought and started using 4DS.

Both are great, of course, and both can be customized. In addition to the premixes and chaptering, you can adjust the reps and poundage in both to change the workout a bit.

My first instinct though is to recommend MM. You'd be able to utilize 100% of it, as opposed to only using a portion of 4DS.

I love Supersets & Push/Pull, too! It would be a nice addition to your collection. I'm attracted to it, again, because you can get a great workout in under an hour and there are loads of premixes. This is one that a lot of people consider more intermediate but I think you get out of it what you put into it. You can always heavy up to make it more challenging.

don't forget

Even if you can't do the step wo on a step doing them without a step is an option. Also, 4-DS has two workouts that aren't step so they may be a little easier on your knees. Since you do splits it makes sense to get 4-DS. You might get a lot out of the boot camp wo and the kick box workout. I'm planning on getting 4-DS for my birthday in March.:D

4ds

Hi,

I vote for 4ds. I think it is by far Cathe's best weight work yet, jmo. It is time efficient and extremely effective. She incorporates so many different techniques into each workout, so don't be fooled by the length of the strength training. Besides, if you want longer just do them twice. Plus the premix splits are as or more challenging than the as produced versions.

Tracy

I just started 4DS - weight work only - and have done legs, calves, chest and back so far (triceps, biceps and shoulders are for today). They are very different from her other weight workouts (at least the ones that I've done). I felt like it wasn't quite hard enough, but that may be due to the fact that I've only done them once, and so haven't gotten a good "feel" for how to do them yet. And on chest and back, I didn't have heavy enough weights (where in the world do you come up with a 62# barbell?). I'm not a huge fan of pushups for building muscle (I prefer them as a warm up or finishing exercise) so I'm somewhat biased against the chest section, but I remain open minded.

That said, the calves section fried my legs so bad that I'm still hobbling around, 3 days later.

I have recorded Supersets and Push Pull off of FitTV, so I'm going to try those next week. Obviously it's not as good as having the DVD since I'm missing out on the premixes, but I can at least get a feel for them.

Yes - I ordered STS a while ago. I am really indulging myself with DVDs these days.

Oh boy, I just reread your post, and see you had ordered STS :eek:

So now that you have gone this far, you might as well get the other 2!

I'm probably too late to add my two cents but... have you considered CTX? It has a pre-mix of all upper body which is great (!) -- although if my memory serves me correctly, you have to add your own warm up and stretch -- and the lower body workout (Leaner Legs) is a must-have for any collection.

Just a suggestion -- hope it helps! :D

It's funny you should mention CTX, as I've been really wanting to get it. But I just don't have $80 to spend on a weight workout (I don't do the aerobic workouts). I keep hoping Fit TV will feature Leaner Legs or the CTX upper body so I can get them that way. I used to haunt the exchange boards over at Yayas but it seems that Cathe DVDs I want hardly ever show up!

It's funny you should mention CTX, as I've been really wanting to get it. But I just don't have $80 to spend on a weight workout (I don't do the aerobic workouts). I keep hoping Fit TV will feature Leaner Legs or the CTX upper body so I can get them that way. I used to haunt the exchange boards over at Yayas but it seems that Cathe DVDs I want hardly ever show up!

Hi Petramom:

Another vote for MM, especially in light of your comment above... 4DS is also $80 (CTX is $90) so if you are wanting to keep your cost down, MM sells for $27 :) I do MM and ME frequently and love them both! You can't beat it, it beats you! HA!

good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.