new to Cathe and have some questions

Momofsix

I have been using Firm tapes(SL, TT, FS and BC 3in1 mix)every other day and TaeBo adv. for cardio. I love the Firm, but the Tae Bo tends to hurt my arms(I think the movements are too fast for me). I have read very positive things about Cathe tapes and would like to try them. I already have a square step box that's 4 to 14 inches but only 14 inches in diameter. Would this be appropriate to use with Cathe tapes? I would like a suggestion on a good Cardio tape to use in between strength days. I am an intermediate excerciser and I like a no nonsense workout. I need to make good use of my time. Is there a cardio tape that doesn't have a lot of jumping? I find my knees tend to hurt when I jump alot. I would also like a suggestion on the best strengh tape. I am only able to get a few tapes so I would like to get the the most effective one. Thankyou for your suggestions.

You might consider Cardiokicks, which is a great kickboxing workout. It doesn't require any equipment (though it does require a bit of space). It's nice and sweaty and no-nonsense. There's some jumping in the intensity drills in the latter part of the video but you can modify (Cathe shows or describes modifications for many of the moves). It clicks along but doesn't have any moves that are too fast, in my opinion. Good luck.:)

Hi. In response to your step question. I'm not quite sure what size step you're referring to, but all of Cathe's step workouts are not only more effective but much safer on your standard size aerobic step, not the smaller versions you sometimes see in stores. The bigger step makes a good bench to do strength work such as chest presses etc. As far as no nonsense workouts I agree with Cardio Kicks. In my opinion all of Cathe's tapes are no nonsense but all are fairly high intensity. However, all can be modified to a lower intensity (though the steps are still pretty quick compared to most other step routines)

Hope this helps,

Stacy

Thanks for the information. I ordered the cardio kick. The step I have is similar to the fanny lifter used with the firm. How would one obtain a step similar to the one Cathe uses and how much are they. In addition, are there any pure strength tapes that don't use her step? If so which are the best. Thanks

The "Original Step" is available on a web site as well as Reebok's step. You can also purchase them at most any sporting goods store, and I've heard also on Ebay. I have the Reebok step and it was around $80, and I use it all the time if not for step then as a weight bench. It's been a few months since I've done the PS series, but if I remember correctly they all use a step in some way.

Stacy

P.S. My full size step was THE best fitness purchase I've ever made, next would have to be my barbell.

Step Co. step

The step that Cathe uses is by Step Company. In sporting goods stores it usually runs about $80 for the full sized. In my opinion, if you're going to invest in a step, then a full sized step like the Step Co. club size or the Reebok is the way to go. Step Co also makes what they call a "home version," but it isn't big enough to use as a weight bench. There are many smaller steps by other companies, but they aren't as sturdy and since they are too small to use as a weight bench, they aren't as versatile.

You might want to try used sporting goods stores like Play It Again Sports. There tend to be a fair number of people who start a fitness program and quit, so you may be able to pick up a step for a cheaper price. I've found them on consignment for as little as $12. Others have found them at Goodwill, garage sales, and 2nd hand stores for as little as $5! Even if you end up paying full price, I agree with Stacy, it's the best investment I ever made!

All of Cathe's weight training tapes/series use the step at some point in getting to the full body workout. The Pure Strength Back, Biceps, and Abs doesn't use a setp, but the other 2 in the series do. I wouldn't recommend jumping into Cathe's step workouts right off the bat. There are certain basic skills in stepping that you need to learn 1st. I would suggest that you try Kathy Smith's Step Workout. You'll learn how to do this safely, as well as the basic vocabulary. After that, you can't go wrong with Cathe's step workouts if you're looking for tough cardio! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.