Need suggestions for video to tone legs

msbone

Hi, I weight train 3 days/wk, but I'm looking for a video for toning the butt/thighs (emphasis on inner thighs!) that DOES NOT utilize weights for my off days.
I am livid with myself for wasting the money for "Crunch: Killer Legs", my grade school ballet class had a harder leg workout for pete's sake! So I thought I'd ask for referrals.
There seems to be little available out there that doesn't require weights, I've got the perfect weight training videos (Cathe's), but I'd really like to supplement at least 2 days/wk with some old fashioned toning to improve my upper thigh/inner thigh area.
Appreciate any suggestions, thanks, Anne

I am one who found that all the standing videos were not hitting my inner thighs enough, even the plie squat. I am to the point where I don't even use a video for inner thigh work, I just use one of those big "Fit Balls" and use is like an inner thigh machine at a gym. Just squeeze the stuffings out of it! I do it right in my computer room. Fit balls are good for ab work when you just want to knock out a quicky ab session.

Does that help?

Yes, your reply does help, and unless someone on this forum actually replies with something like, "Anne, you just gotta get the video ..., it's the greatest leg toning video on the market!" I think I'm just going to forget the idea of searching for a non-weight toning for legs video! So far I've wasted money on 2 videos, neither of which contained the intensity I was looking for, and there is nothing worse than throwing away good money on a bad video! (especially when I haven't even bought all the Cathe videos yet!)
Thanks, and I may check out the fit ball! Anne

Hi Anne,

I have Reebok Power Blast with Lisa Gaylord which does a lot of "old fashined toning" leg work without weights. However, it is an intermediary tape. I use it occasionally when I'm not in the mood to hoist that barbell. The leg work consists of all different "sports" style lunges like speed skater, skiing, kickbox, boxing and basketball-jumping in addition to squats and fast paced front and back static lunges. Running time is about 50 min. Here's a breakdown to the best of my recollection:

Tai chi warmup
short cardio blast
leg work
short cardio blast
leg work
short cardio blast
leg work
short cardio blast
leg work
kickbox leg work
floor planks and tricep arm raise push-ups

I really like Lisa as an instructor. She's a marital arts expert and has awesome legs. But again, compared to Cathe, this is an intermediate tape and the cardio blasts are pretty basic.
This tape has been out a few years so you might be able to find it fairly cheap.

Just a thought.

Lorrie

Anne,

A couple of Karen Voight's videos would fit the bill, but they do use resistance tools. The floor work in Great Weighted Workout uses a genie ball. The Body Reform Total Body video uses a resistance ring & really hits the inner thighs. It shouldn't even be called a Total Body workout. I didn't keep the video, but I think you could use a genie ball or some of the Spiri tools instead of the ring.

If you have any of the older Firms, Vol's 1, 2 & 5 have great floor work. If you pay attention to form, you don't need a lot of resistance. Last, but certainly not least, consider the floor work in PS Legs & Abs.

Hi and thank you for the suggestions, it just so happens I am about to order the PS series this weekend, so I'll be able to check out the PS legs and abs.
I'm beginning to think maybe I just need to get my diet a little cleaner, I do well, but there's room for improvement, and stick with the weight training 3x/wk, and just be patient! Afterall, the weight didn't go on overnight, so it serves me right that it won't come off overnight! That'll teach me to "just say no!" to the qtr.lbr w/cheese!
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, Anne

One more suggestion... I absolutely LOVE Grace Lazenby's All the Right Moves for toning without weights. She combines yoga, pilates, and dance conditioning. There is one standing plie move done with a ball between your knees that really targets the inner thigh and quads, and the floorwork always leaves my outer thighs burning! :-wow Since she also incorporates a lot of streching, I feel this is a perfect tape for days when I'm not weight training. Try it!
GP

I wasted way too much money on some suggested Firm tapes for floor leg work, and I do much better in a lot shorter time with my Fitball and my Xering for outer thighs. I still like tapes for standing work, Cathe's that is. I cant' get all cranked up over the Firm tapes at all except for Standing Legs.

RE: Yes!

Karen Voight's Great Weighted Workout is excellent for inner and outer thighs. You can use a resistance ball, but I tend to use 1 lb ankle weights or no weights at all and still find myself getting a great burn in my legs.

Stacy

Hi Anne! Do you enjoy running? I run every other day, and my legs & butt have been in much better shape for it. I still weight train my lower body (2x/week) to keep my leg muscles strong, but running keeps them lean and improves my cardio health & endurance. Plus it's fun & I love being outdoors

Just a suggestion!

marnie

I suggest trying a tape by Margaret Richards, called Lower Body Sculpting. It requires only a chair, no weights, and is a very high rep, approx.one hour sculpting tape. The instructor is excellent and the workout really makes my legs burn, even though I've been doing Cathe's workouts for a couple of years. I can squat with Cathe's tapes using a 45 pound barbell, but the Richards tape with no weight still brings my legs to failure. I believe her website is www.bodyelectrictv.com. Good luck.

Hi...I was interested in hearing more about this tape by Margaret Richard, her web site really doesnt give any detail about the tape, ie. what type of exercises, is there an ab section (and is it any good). This video also hasnt been reviewed on videofitness or collage, and being it's almost $30 I'd like to hear more about it before I seriously consider ordering it.

Thanks,

Stacy

Hi, I checked the site out like Stacy did and found the same thing, no real info on what the tape entails. if you have the tape, would you be kind enough to just give me an example or two of the types of leg work she does (ie: inner thigh lifts, fire hydrants, plie squats, leg raises, etc), that will give me an idea at least. I swear by the fitness video gods that I will not waste one more dollar on a worthless video to collect dust~especially when I don't own all the Cathe videos yet!

I haven't actually seen this particular tape, but I did Margaret Richard's workouts for years and loved her! She was on PBS for free! Her leg workouts often included lying legs. For instance she may do inner thighs laying on her back with both legs straight up in the air. Then'll you 'll lower them out to the side and bring them in. I believe what makes her exercises effective are the way she makes them into a routine with partial reps, slowed down movements etc. She is also big on gluteal squeezed lying down. I'd recommend Margart. No doubt about it. Every now and again I still throw in one of her tapes and do them. Jeanne

Me too...love Margaret. The routines don't LOOK like they're going to kill you, but they DO!
I agree it's the high repitition, change of position, change of count, etc. throughout each exercise which makes it particularly effective. Also, I just like her personality! Never hurts to be motivated in every way possible!
I highly recommend the tape under discussion. I know her stuff is pretty expensive...I consider it worth it for this tape, however you may be able to find it on trade or at ebay.
Just my 2 cents!
:)

If you're into yoga, I would recommend Bryan Kest Power Yoga 2, it's killer on the old behind. Or, although I haven't tried it, The NYC Ballet workout. I understand that it's a good workout for the legs.

A second vote for Power Blast

I did Power Blast this week and I don't know which move it was but I really felt my inner thighs the next day, particularly at the very top. It might've been the fencer's lunge or that skater's move, I'm not sure.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.