More Fit People in New Videos?

StepCrazy

Hi there Cathe. I absolutely LOVE your videos and am a huge fan. However, I have one comment in that I think it would be great to see a few more very fit people in them (people like you). At first I liked the "mom" look many of them had, because I felt that I could connect and didn't feel so fat. However, now that I have lost some weight (thanks to you:)) staring at them every morning would be more motivating if I saw them in better shape. Sometimes I wonder why they aren't more fit if they do your workouts all the time??? Anyway... that is my 2 cents. Some new music would be great too.

The people in Cathe's videos look pretty fit to me. Some of them might not be stick thin but that look isn't healthy for most women. I think they look great and healthy and are very inspiring to me. We're supposed to have between 18-22% bodyfat and that fat has got to go somewhere. A average fit woman at a healthy weight will have some cellulite probably in her hips and thighs.

You're kidding, right?

Since when is someone's fitness level based on how they look? Cedie is a gym teacher, is she not? I bet she could outdistance almost any one of us. And she looks absolutely fantastic to me. As does Lisa, who has made incredible changes in her body since the MIS days (you should see her in person!). I've also met Brenda F numerous times and there is not an ounce of fat on her.

If that's a "mom" look on these ladies, GO MOM!!!!!!!!!!

I agree though, I like to see fitter people, I think the look has evolved though (for the better) the people in Cathe's videos now seem more fit and in shape. The older videos seem to have less fit cast members (well some of the older ones)
But now, I think there is a good bunch Cathe has there!
I don't think that StepCrazy meant that there needs to be more stick skinny people though, just more toned I guess....

RE: You're kidding, right?

I have got to agree with Pamela here. Those women are SUPER fit, or else they would not be working out with Cathe. Just because Cathe may appear thinner and more "cut" does not make her fitter. Those women in the background could in fact be in better shape then Cathe.... I can only begin to wish that I will one day be as fit as them and be able to do IMAX with absolutely no modifications on a 8" step!!!

Unless you can easily finish all Cathe's tapes, I think you should look at them as motivation for sure!!

If Cedie and Rhonda weren't there I would be so.... unhappy. Whenever I get a new video I look for them first. They both have such good form and look so happy. I like all of the background group. They ALLLL!!!!!!!!!!! look so fit to me.

I'm a huge Cathe fan but she might do some really extreme things to get ready for a video. Look at how Tracie Long prepared for the Tortoise and the Hare. Is that healthy? No. We have an unrealistic expectation of how women are supposed to look because all of the women on TV and in the movies are too thin (someone on the Ya Ya's board posted about an article in Cosmo which compared female celebs current weight to where they were a few years ago - very interesting) so women in exercise videos go on extreme diets to look as thin as we expect them to look. It's insane.

And if Cathe does have to go on an extreme diet before shooting a video, I'm okay with that because that's unfortunately what the market demands. But it's not right. And I think it's great that Cathe has normal healthy fit women on her tapes of all ages. Like I wrote earlier, a healthy woman will have some fat on her body.

I was previewing Rhythmic Step today and I defy anyone to say that the women on that tape could be in better shape. The moves Cathe does are very complex and the class keeps up with her without even looking tired! I love the fact that Cathe uses real, superfit women in her videos. It just shows that fitness comes in all shapes and sizes. I have been working out a long time and know it will be a while before I can get through this video doing all the dancy steps. As we all know, many video instructors have resorted to plastic surgery....I'd much rather see Cathe and real people. I do agree that some new music would be nice.

Geese... you guys are are a tough crowd! I meant nothing like how you took my comments! I too still love to see the women that are in the videos. They can definitely kick my butt when it comes to step. All I was saying is it would be great to see some more toned women. Sorry to ruffle your feathers. I thought this was just a simple board for submitting ideas. I won't be sending anymore comments! Have a open mind why don't ya!

Hey StepCrazy,
I assume you have a few of the very oldest of Cathe's step videos, on which some of the women had the appearance of not having worked out with weights. Those videos are a little outdated now and as each year of Cathe's videos comes out, there are more fit women on them!

And although Tracy Long dieted to prepare for her videos, I have a hard time believeng that Cathe does much of anything different or special to prepare herself (visually) besides just rehearse the routines. No one told me this, it's just the way Cathe is that makes me think that way.

Yes, I like seeing muscle tone in the participants, too, such as Rhonda's abs and Cede's arms!

Please don't quit sending comments, but realize that some of us have become personally attached to the participants in Cathe's videos! And we have noticed how those very participants have toned up over the years!

I agree with Pamela and naughtoj. How do you define "fit"? Not everyone who is fit looks like Cathe. There IS that genetic predisposition, after all. Some folks will never be able to build that kind of muscle. There is more to fitness than the superficial exterior look, and this is not meant to insult Cathe, as she is obviously fit from the outside in!

StepCrazy,
I think people took offense at the implication that Cathe's crew is not fit, simply because they all don't look like Cathe or have bulging muscles (although actually I think Brenda has bulging biceps, but they don't zoom in the camera on her). It has nothing to do with having an open mind, but more to do with the interpretation (or misinterpretation) of what you meant by your comment.

Oh MY Stepcrazy!! Are you gonna get it now from this educated crowd!! You opened up a big can of worms here. Coming from "an older woman (49) I happen to like the fact that Cathe uses all different body types. Not every woman happens to be a mesomorph which Cathe I believe is. I personally would LOVE to see more men in her tapes (the ones in Cardio Kicks). They were AWESOME to look at! But I know what you mean by some new faces. Rhonda, Cedie and Lisa are mainstays. Some of us had asked for some older women. And I also believe ALL of them are in very good shape and very healthy and fit. Sorry but I just had to say that. Kathy

They all look fit to me!

Plus they can do the workouts and do them quite well, which says it all as far as I'm concerned. There isn't just one "fit" look--or even two or three or four...well, you get the picture.

RE: They all look fit to me!

Personally, I love seeing the evolution they all, including Cathe, have made over the years. It just proves that fitness grows and is cummulative. Cathe grows more defined with every video year, and the transformation of both Rhonda and Lisa inspire me all the time. Any time I even think there's no hope for my thighs, I think about Rhonda and say, "sure there is!" There is a huge difference in her body on Imax and a year or 2 later in S&H. Those types of muscular changes/growth inspire me daily. I think each of them is a role model in their own unique way, and body shapes aside, for sure their cardiovascular fitness is something to be in awe of! :)

Donna

> At first I liked
>the "mom" look many of
>them had, because I felt
>that I could connect and
>didn't feel so fat.
>However, now that I have
>lost some weight (thanks to
>you:)) staring at them
>every morning would be more
>motivating if I saw them
>in better shape

Hi StepCrazy,

Don't forget, Cathe has a 'mom' figure too. She has Children. :)

DeeDee

Like Pamela, I have seen all the cast and crew in person. They are extemley fit, and toned, individuals. The reason why this isn't reflected well in the videos is that being on film puts on 10-15 pounds on a person.

Believe me, they are all tiny women. Cedie, for example, looks like she wears a size 2 in real life (and her legs and arms are really defined and toned). She definitely doesn't look like she's a size 2 on film. In order for Cathe's cast to look like they do in real life on film they would each have to drop weight. Cathe (and other instructors) lose weight intentionally to show the muscle definition for videos. Once the videos have been shot, she gains the weight back to her normal weight.

I hope this helps you, StepCrazy.

Lorrayne

Being fit is not synonymous with being thin and ripped. I see fitness when I see Cedie and Rhonda and Hope and Brenda et al gutting their way through I-Max, Circuit Max, and so on with good form and smilin' all the way. I look at energy and proper execution in Cathe's studio group, not their body shapes.

Annette Q. Aquajock

You guys are soooo funny. Give poor StepCrazy a break. Your comments to her are almost worse than her original comments. You sound like a bunch of grouchy ol' hens! It was obvious she didn't mean anything by it and sent a response to apologize.

Not a good way to welcome new people to the board. If I were her I would probably NEVER be back.

I do agree with her to some extent. Maybe she just used the wrong words. It is nice to look at people in good shape when working out. However, we all are different! What motivates one obviously doesn't motivate another! She didn't say anything specifically about the girls only that it would be good to see fit people. Think about it... would you really go to a trainer that wasn't fit? Probably not!

Lighten up!

Hanna

StepCrazy, you're not crazy, and I'm not here to yell at you. I just wanted to say that some people who may appear fit, actually aren't. Fitness models admit to binging, purging, over-exercising, etc. to obtain their physiques. I bet Cedie, Rhonda, Brenda, Hope, Lisa, etc could cream a lot of Shape and Fit cover models in a push ups contest. If you make it through Imax, MIC, etc and can still smile, then you're fit in my book! Don't take all this feedback to heart. A lot of us feel 'attached' to these gals, that's all. And a lot of moms look pretty darn good too! Have fun!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.