Modifications for problem knees?

Sonnenschein

Cathlete
I would love to hear what modifications any of you have found useful for keeping fit and strong even though you have problem knees. What do you substitute for lunges, power scissors, etc.? Anything that has helped you for either cardio or strength training would be appreciated. Thanks! --Karen

Hi Karen,
I have yucky knees, too. I have really noticed much less pain by removing the step from most of my cardio workouts. I do one step workout a week (usually an interval one, Imax or Intense Moves), and the rest of my cardio I do on the floor, even if the workout is a step one.
I delete almost all the hight impact from all my workouts--just substitute knee-up lunge back for power scissors. I use VERY large arm movements, and REALLY use my space to make up for the lack of intensity.
As for strength, I have found that by keeping my legs VERY wide during squats (almost to the point of being a plie squat), that my knees do not hurt. Also, I keep most lunges static, even if Cathe is doing forward or back lunges. Form is critical!!

Everyone's knee things are different. I'm more bothered by squats, but others feel twinges with lunges...The most important thing is to STOP if you feel pain!!

Others may also reccomend floor work to sub for standing leg work. The floor work in Karen Voight's Great Weighted Workout is OK. PS legs floor work is wonderful. Gettin the quads is tough for me without doing lunges and squats, and I have been able to put them back in by not doing step workouts as often...

Be extremely careful if you are working out on carpet. I'm hoping to get some great Mats to help with this.

Hope some of this helped...
:) Wendy

Wendy, your resposne helped me! I have "yucky"knees to. It started out only in my right and now its in my left knee too. Its very frustrating because you cant put your "all" into the workout. I probably over-do it with the stepping, so maybe Ill do what you do and modify more. I find that the step makes a difference too. I had the Rebok step and now have the Step Co step (like Cathe uses) and it is MUCH more forgiving than the Rebok step. As for power scissors, forget it, I cant do them as low as Cathe and crew can, I either dont go down as far or do regular scissors and just be more aggressive. I also have to work out on carpet, but if I ever win lotto, the first thing I am doing is putting in a state of the art home gym with a really cool hardwood floor (oh, I can dream, cant I???) Judy

Wendy, your resposne helped me! I have "yucky"knees to. It started out only in my right and now its in my left knee too. Its very frustrating because you cant put your "all" into the workout. I probably over-do it with the stepping, so maybe Ill do what you do and modify more. I find that the step makes a difference too. I had the Rebok step and now have the Step Co step (like Cathe uses) and it is MUCH more forgiving than the Rebok step. As for power scissors, forget it, I cant do them as low as Cathe and crew can, I either dont go down as far or do regular scissors and just be more aggressive. I also have to work out on carpet, but if I ever win lotto, the first thing I am doing is putting in a state of the art home gym with a really cool hardwood floor (oh, I can dream, cant I???) Judy

After my left knee went out again last January--leading to a fractured ankle as well--it took me ages to recuperate, and when I did start exercising again, my husband bought me a hinged knee brace for my left knee. I also love to hike, and going up the mountain is no problem, but my knee feels wobbly going down, so I have started to bring my knee brace along for the trip back down the trail. It has made a big difference in my confidence and steadiness doing almost everything, from power 15's to squats to lunges. It really works for me. After hearing about a good study on the Today show, I also started a regimen of 1500 mg. of glucosamine sulfate a day and this seems to have had a very important therapeutic effect on stiffness, soreness, general knee-creakiness. After avoiding impact for several years, I have gone back to it and love it.

Hi, my knees use to give me some trouble as well until I started taking a Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplement. The results were almost immediate! I use to have pain with my workouts, and I'd actually hear the "scraping" noise in my knee cap as I was performing squats, lunges, etc, but the Glucosamine/Chondroitin combo has helped my knee problems BIG TIME! They're a little pricey depending on the brand, but you can find them at GNC stores and Wal-mart, and I believe the recommended daily dose (according to what I read in prevention) is 1500mg Glucosamine/1200mg Chondroitin for maximum benefit. I take 3 pills a day with food, and I could feel the results within 2 weeks. My knees feel stronger every workout. But check with your doctor, most say it's just fine to take, but just to be on the safe side in case you're on other medication it may not mix well with. But I learned about it here on this forum and it's been a blessing already for me.
Donna

I have knee problems, nothing that would require surgery. It has something to do with the way my knees are built. So I went to a physical therapist and learned which exercises would help and Iam really amazed how they helped me. I hardly have any knee pain anymore when I workout. Lunges used to kill me and now I can do them with no problems.

SusanR

First of all, please pay attention to what flooring you're on - if it is carpet over concrete, any high impact move is going to really pound your knees, even if the pad feels cushiony.

I agree also with the others, that keeping your quads strong is key to preventing injury. Also keeping your hamstrings very flexible for some reason, improves joint mechanics and can improve pain. I have found the Slow and Heavy Leg tape to be very rehabilitative for me after having a third knee surgery earlier this year. The movements are so slow and controlled that I feel safe really upping the weight. I have found that lunges just don't work for me - I have a Blowflex machine though, and do leg extensions during the lung sequences.

Like another poster, I don't do as much stepping as I used to, and I modify a lot more as well, and use a six inch step. I still feel I get a good cardio workout though, but now I can get up and down the steps without too much pain - bottom line, pay attention to what your body is telling you - it is always truthful!

Best wishes!
Colia

First of all, please pay attention to what flooring you're on - if it is carpet over concrete, any high impact move is going to really pound your knees, even if the pad feels cushiony.

I agree also with the others, that keeping your quads strong is key to preventing injury. Also keeping your hamstrings very flexible for some reason, improves joint mechanics and can improve pain. I have found the Slow and Heavy Leg tape to be very rehabilitative for me after having a third knee surgery earlier this year. The movements are so slow and controlled that I feel safe really upping the weight. I have found that lunges just don't work for me - I have a Blowflex machine though, and do leg extensions during the lung sequences.

Like another poster, I don't do as much stepping as I used to, and I modify a lot more as well, and use a six inch step. I still feel I get a good cardio workout though, but now I can get up and down the steps after my workout without too much pain - bottom line, pay attention to what your body is telling you - it is always truthful!

Best wishes!
Colia :)

Thanks so much for the great ideas and support! Wendy, I was so excited to hear that you do Imax--I have that one coming for Christmas and was wondering if I would ever be able to do it, thinking that it looked so high impact. Do you modify a lot on that one?

I am trying the glucosamine, although mine is glucosamine hydrochloride instead of sulfate. I read that that should be at least as effective but it is cheaper. Unfortunately, at 5 weeks into it I still haven't noticed it doing anything. Does anyone know how long I should give it before I decide it's not my answer?

Susan, is there any way you could let me know how to do some of those exercises? I know everyone's knees are different, but I figure it likely wouldn't hurt me to try them. How long did it take before you noticed improvement from them?

Thanks again to all--it's lovely to feel that I'm not alone in this! --Karen

Exercises for problem knees?

Karen,
I have learned 2 ways, 1 at the gym and 1 at home. Do you have access to a gym or do you workout strictly at home? Let me know. If you would, give me your email address and I will email the info to you. It can't be today because Iam at work and the info is at home so I could do it tomorrow.

The exercises strengthen the knees so I agree that they probably couldn't hurt.

I think I noticed a difference in just a few weeks (can't remember how many exactly.

SusanR

I'd switch to glucosamine sulfate--just because that was definitely what the study was done with--and I would wait for 6 months before giving up. I started in February and started really feeling the effects in late June. I'd love to know from Susan, too, what those exercises are. I have friends who had torn ACL's, and the final leg exercise with biceps in Circuit Max is almost identical to what they showed me as a physical therapy exercise.

RE: Exercises for problem knees?

Susan,

My email is [email protected] I do most of my workouts at home but I do have access to a gym and could probably get there about twice a week if that would be more effective. Thanks for sharing! --Karen

Hi! I have been reading this thread with interest as I too have problems with my knees. Does anyone know where I can find out more information about the glucosamine sulfate mentioned?

Susan, would you please send me the exercise information also? I am strictly a home exerciser. My email is [email protected]. Thanks!

Michelle

Hi Susan,
I am so glad that I found this discussion on problem knees. I have had pain in my knees for so long. I have terrible insurance and have just been holding off until I graduate, and have a job with decent benefits, to go to a doctor. I have been wearing knee braces, soaking in hot water, wearing two pair of socks, anything I can think of to help. I was wondering if you had to go to your physical therapist for several treatments or was it just one or two visits? I am so relieved to hear how so many people have found relief! I am new to Cathe's tapes and I am sooooo in love--especially with the step aerobics. I have finally found my niche, and I love how I look and feel! I do not want to stop and it has been very frustrating for me to have knee problems at 28 years old. Thanks for your input,
Deana

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.