Kathy Smith....

Stacy

Cathlete
Overall, most of her videos annoy me, but I do have a few that I pop in on occasion such as her Kickboxing video and her Power Step video which I think are great for less intense days. I wanted to add one or two more videos to my collection that are slightly shorter in length than Cathe's step tapes, yet that are still pretty intense. In particular I'm looking for non-step tapes. What do you ladies think of Kathy Smith's Weight Loss Workout or her AeroBox workout??? Any other suggestions are always appreciated. (I'm going to be starting a new rotation soon where I do PS upper body and cardio on the same day so I want a few shorter, yet still butt kick'n cardio tapes.) Thanks!!

Happy Pigout Day!

:) Stacy

Hi Stacy! I would try Janis Saffell's "Ringside" kickbox tape. This has 2 separate 30 min. workouts on it. The first one being more intense than the second one. Also you might want to try Janis Saffell's "South Beach Slam". Also has 2 workouts for 30 min. each but the first segment is step. The second portion of the tape is hi-lo. Fabulous workouts! You can look them up and purchase these if you want by going to janissaffell.com. Happy pigout day to you too! Kathy

i liked the cardio fat burner and fat burning breakthru videos.u still need a step for the latter though. i also have her step and power step videos. kathy is a good instructor for beginners and intermediates.i am so bad in following intricate choreography. tried it numerous times and it really frustrates me. i wish i can do the Breakthru Videos, G-Force, Christi Taylor and other CIA videos as well. but i have already accepted the fact that i'll always have two left feet. that is why i prefer athletic routines to dancy steps.

what other videos would u recommend that are hi-low intensity and athletic?

I would recommend Kari Anderson's Great Moves Hi-Lo workout, about 35 to 40 minutes, and the first half of her Dance Works, about 35 minutes, if you are looking for shorter workouts, non-step.

Hi Stacy,
Since I think I remember you prefer less dancy stuff, I would suggest Kathy's Fat Burning Workout(not her time saver series, that might be okay, but I haven't seen that one). It is less then 45 minutes if I recall correctly and available at most target stores. Another idea would be Gilad's Fat Burning Workout. This one is also right around 45 minutes. Why do so many intermediate and beginner level tapes include "fat burning" in the title?? That's my two cents.

Dawn W

I always thought that Aerobox was one of Kathy's better videos, if you like her kickboxing video, you'll like this one (actually, I think it's better). Just my .02.

I agree. Aerobox always made me sooo sore the next day. Very simple choreography-wise--really it is just jumproping and different punch sequences, if I remember correctly. I haven't done this one in a long time becuase it is a lot of jumping and I don't have the knees or floor for it, but I really liked it a lot. Good form pointers, and really, isn't it instructed more by Michael O. than Kathy?

Wendy

Aerobox

I like Aerobox also for variety. As Wendy said, Michael O. is really the instructor for the video - I think he does a fantastic job. In fact, Kathy Smith isn't even in the final jumprope section.
One thing about this video, though, is is very basic in choreography - so I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't mind jumping up and down a lot!
Erica

I really like her Weight Loss Workout. It is mostly low impact but you can modify most of the moves to higher if you want. I don't feel completely wiped out after doing this, just pleasantly worked out - if that makes any sense!

?

Has anyone tried Kathy Smith's "Pilates For Abs"? I just picked it up this past weekend and haven't opened it yet as I am tired of wasting $$ on tapes I don't care for. I want a challenge for my hard earned money. TIA!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

wait for reviews!!!

Debbie H, I'm a long time Karen Voight fan & bought her 2 new videos without waiting for reviews. The BLT (buns, legs, tummy ball workout) is a waste of money. Twenty bucks & shipping for a 15 min workout (it's supposed to be 25 min). Your post triggered some venting, sorry.

On the other hand, Kathy Smith usually does a good job of exploring fitness trends. I think she's done a good job of providing intro tapes into new areas (including great beginning step videos, but also kickboxing, boxing & roping, & weight training). So you might keep it around (unopened) until you read some reviews.

Have you tried any Pilates workouts yet? I'm big on Suzanne Deason's Balance Ball workout. Great intro to Pilates (from someone who's been at it awhile).

Debra

Hi Debra!

Thanks for your reply. Where do you go for reviews? Do you know if Kathy's Pilates for Abs is new and if there would be any reviews out yet? I looked on the cover and it is 2001, but not sure what part of the year it came out. Also, I have BalanceBall Fitness w/Susan Deason ABS Workout by Living Arts. Is this the tape you were refering too? I THINK I MAY have done it one time a long time ago so I can't remember my thoughts on it. Should I wipe the cobwebs off of it and give it a try? Thanks for your time and your advice. I really appreciate it.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Back at you Debbie

The general forum at Video Fitness is a great place to get reviews on new videos. Go to the separate video review section for reviews on older videos. Lots of "Vidiots" as they call themselves, will post their impressions of a video on the forum without ever posting a formal review. You can also post an inquiry on the forum to ask for opinions.

I bought Voight's BLT & 2 of Suzanne Deason's vidoes last month. BLT is at best something to tack onto another workout. I love Deason's Balance Ball workouts. The beginners workout is a wonderful intro to Pilates breathing, with some ab work but mostly stretching & balance. The ab workout is a solid Pilates style ab workout. I'm alternating the 2 & doing one almost every night. I think these are terrific holiday season tapes when we all need to release a little stress.

My credit card bill just arrived & I can see I did a lot of fitness spending when I had the shingles! I feel great now but lost some conditioning when restricted to dog walks, Pilates & yoga. Gives me a challenge! And spending is supposed to be patriotic (I always thought saving was).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.