increasing flexablity and tight hamstrings

nightowl81

Cathlete
Anyone have any videos or exercises they can recommend that helped increase your flexibility? I've been doing CLX, and as some people have said you get serious glute DOMS but there isn't enough stretching at the end and I think it's making my legs feel more tight.

I've also noticed I'm not as flexible as I was in my teens and early 20s... yoga and stretching used to come easy, now not so much. If I do some yoga a few times a week will it improve or is this just part of getting older?

Without consistent training, we lose everything as we get older: cardiovascular endurance; muscle strength, endurance and mass; flexibility; bone density; everything. However, WITH consistent training, we can seriously slow down if not totally eradicate these losses.

Many yoga practices are great for flexibility. I'll suggest you incorporate at least one yoga session per week if you're noticing tight hamstrings (and lack of flexibility in other muscle groups), and substitute a better post-workout stretch routine for your CLX's or whatever it is you are doing.

A-Jock

ITA. I used to run--A LOT (!!!) and found that it was only after not running for almost a year and doing tons of yoga (5-6 days/week 60-90 min/session) that my flexibility came back. Not fun if you don't love it. As a Registered Yoga Instructor (200+ with Yoga Alliance), I recommend starting with at least 20 min/day, 3x/week. If you don't see a change in 2 months, increase the days first, then the time. Massage works as well, as do foam rollers.

Without consistent training, we lose everything as we get older: cardiovascular endurance; muscle strength, endurance and mass; flexibility; bone density; everything. However, WITH consistent training, we can seriously slow down if not totally eradicate these losses.

Many yoga practices are great for flexibility. I'll suggest you incorporate at least one yoga session per week if you're noticing tight hamstrings (and lack of flexibility in other muscle groups), and substitute a better post-workout stretch routine for your CLX's or whatever it is you are doing.

A-Jock

Take a look at Cathe's StretchMax, I just bought and received it, so I can't comment yet, but it has 3, 20 minute stretch routines to follow. I'm not a big fan of yoga, but I liked Cathe's 20 min. stretch segment from the STS dvds.

I used to have extremely tight hamstrings. I consistently use different Yoga workouts and this has greatly improved my flexibility. I also use stretch Max.

Last edited:
From Yoga Instructor

I am a yoga instructor, so naturally I am going to tell you that yes, your flexibility will increase if you incorporate yoga into your fitness regime. And although getting older does increase loss of flexiblity, if you make the time to stretch the muscles, that is less likely to occur and actually you'll reverse some of the loss! Focus on moves like Downward Dog which stretches the low back and hamstrimgs, and seated forwards bends and standing forward bends. Hold them for 3-4 deep breaths in and out through the nose, and the rest and even repeat for greater results.
For flexibility the American College of Sports Medicine recommends at least 3 days a week of flexibility added into your already existing program with stretches for all body parts holding each stretch for 30 seconds and then repeating 2 more times, and if you find a good hatha yoga class, this is exactly what you will be doing. Plus you'll gain so much for than just flexiblity from yoga. Your breathing will improve, stress relief will occur, relaxation will come easier, and muscle strength will improve, and much more!
(Can you tell I am a little biased to yoga??) :)

good fats

Also, a hormonal shift will alter your flexibility, its estrogen that makes you flexible and testosterone that hardens the tissues. I take evening primrose oil to help with my tissues. But, in short, yes, yoga does help. Its the consistent use of yoga that makes the difference. I recommend warming up with some cardio before the yoga.

StretchMax is awesome. My favorite is the stretching using the band. I'm probably doing it tonight. The lower body stretching in this one is great.

I would also recommend some beginner level yoga. Rodney Yee has one called Yoga for Flexibility that's quite good.

I am a yoga instructor, so naturally I am going to tell you that yes, your flexibility will increase if you incorporate yoga into your fitness regime. And although getting older does increase loss of flexiblity, if you make the time to stretch the muscles, that is less likely to occur and actually you'll reverse some of the loss! Focus on moves like Downward Dog which stretches the low back and hamstrimgs, and seated forwards bends and standing forward bends. Hold them for 3-4 deep breaths in and out through the nose, and the rest and even repeat for greater results.
For flexibility the American College of Sports Medicine recommends at least 3 days a week of flexibility added into your already existing program with stretches for all body parts holding each stretch for 30 seconds and then repeating 2 more times, and if you find a good hatha yoga class, this is exactly what you will be doing. Plus you'll gain so much for than just flexiblity from yoga. Your breathing will improve, stress relief will occur, relaxation will come easier, and muscle strength will improve, and much more!
(Can you tell I am a little biased to yoga??) :)

Hey thanks this info was really helpful!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.