I am just curious (pub and plb)

Phantom2u

I have read many posts on this site and others. Many, many folks recommend PUB as a great upper body work out, but not so much talk on PLB.

Is PLB not the preferred work out for lower body? Is something like legs and glutes more effective?

TIA:7

PLB may have it's dissenters because of all the changing of plates on the barbell. But it is a great workout, and the floorwork fries my hamstrings! L&G has more variety - work with weights, work without weights, ankleweights, floorwork. So maybe people enjoy doing it more. I like both!

I also wanted to mention that I like the versatility of the Pyramid DVD. Nice combo of both PUB/PLB on that one, as well as the pyramid up and pyramid down versions of both workouts.

Diane

Hi TIA:7.

I think Diane is correct in her assessment that PLB has dissenters due to all the changing of the plates. I know I avoid PLB for this reason, but also because it is so challenging and takes a lot of energy.

PLB is a supereffective workout. To avoid the plate changing, I start at the lightest weight on the barbell, then I slide my round ankle weights (2.5 pounds each) on the ends of the barbell for the first weight increase, then I switch to dumbells for the next weight increase. There is a floor work section that does not involve weight changes for the second half of the workout.

The day after PLB, I think it is best to either rest, or do something easy.

PLB is a great workout too, despite having to change the barbell weight a lot.

I think it's just that PUB is exceptional - Cathe has other good lower-body workouts like S&H legs, Pure Strength legs, and Leaner Legs. But the only other complete upper-body workout is CTX Upper Body Split. Otherwise you have to do two or three workouts to hit the entire upper body - PS chest/shoulders/triceps AND back/biceps, or S&H triceps/biceps, chest/back AND the shoulders section from legs/shoulders. Or you pick and choose your way around Max Intensity Strength. PUB gives it all in one package - all the upper-body muscles PLUS a killer abs section, great music and sequencing, and the premix options like pyramid-up only or pyramid-down only to make a shorter but still complete workout.

LOL Cruncholi, TIA means Thanks In Advance :) Sometimes the code words on this site need a guide of some sort.

I love PLB. Changing the barbell does get a little monotonous but it gives you a chance to catch your breath and recover a little. You won't regret having it and you can always use dumbells if you prefer.

I love PLB and PUB. I reach for those workouts more than any others. I don't mind changing the plates. I have the troy light barbell and find the plates very easy to change.

JoJo

No, I think PLB is very effective. It is just a lot of work to keep changing the barbell plates. However, PLB can be done very effectively with dumbbells. Cathe even mentions it during the workout. I love PLB and do the whole thing with dumbbells except for the squats, for which I use the barbell. The hamstrings and glutes get worked in this workout like crazy!

I love PLB and the plate changes don't bother me. I don't have the easy change BB either. PLB stills gives me DOMS. I just finished this workout. It's a keeper in my book. I also like L&G but they are two completely different lower body workouts and I believe both are worth having.
Angela:7

I like PLB so much better than L&G. Yes, there is the constant changing of plates, but since the weights I use for my legs aren't so heavy, I can do the workout using a barbell and two pairs of dumbbells, whether I go 24/30/35 or 30/35/40. I love the intensity of PLB and since this is the lower body workout I use a lot and alternate with LL, I can say both workouts have shaped my legs pretty well -- and they weren't a good shape to begin with.

L&G, as many ladies like to say, has the "fun factor". I tried L&G as a whole once and didn't like the constant repositioning and resetting of equipment (I work out in a very tiny space) BUT I do love the premixes. So I do a premix or use it with segments of Cathe's other leg workouts.

PLB is part of the intensity series, which says it will take you to the next level. And it delivers.

Pinky

I agree. The floor work is my favorite. It's an inner and outer thigh killer! I use dumbbbells instead of a barbell, so for me it's not a big deal, plus the workout becomes a little shorter since I can immediately FF to the next segment. I have to say though, that I am getting tired of lunges,squats and leg presses. I have enough workouts with those. I hope Hardcore offers something different.

I like PLB but I also hate the changing of the plates and I don't like it that they don't stretch much inbetween exercises. I have found a way to really enjoy this workout a lot more. I use dumb bells for half of the workout then use my bar bell. I use the dumb bells for the leg presses and lunges and I use my bar bell for the squats and dead lifts. I also pause the DVD if I feel I need to so I can stretch. It is a great lower body workout, but the changing of the plates and not stretching enough are my only two complaints with this one.

Michelle:)

I think it's a great workout & very effective. I own a barbell, but use dumbells for this workout. It's so much easier & I have gotten great results. I agree the floorwork is great too!

Aila:)

I actually prefer PLB to PUB. I find that I can go heavier with PLB than any other lower body workout because the rep range is 8-12, and you get to rest a few seconds during the weight changes. I find PLB complements the Pure Strength upper body workouts, which have sets of 10 reps. Most lower body workouts (including Pure Strength Legs) have much higher reps which makes them more endurance workouts.

Regarding PUB, I was disappointed at how short the rests are, and find that I cannot go very heavy unless I pause between supersets.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.