GS series with a twist???

deanie

Cathlete
Hi all,
Has anyone ever used this series differently than produced? I was thinking of doing a 4 week rotation of GS following Cathe with the excersises, but only doing 8-10 reps. I'm thinking this way I can go heavy. Has anyone done this? What were your results? or am I better off doing GS as is?

TIA
Deanie:*

GS is a GEM regardless of how I use it.

*As Produced

*Splits but mixing up the parts hit in a day

*1-part per day doing it X2

*1-part per day doing GS PLUS same part from another w/o that uses different moves(I like 30 minutes per part)

GS is cool because it has those exercises that are unique to that series so it can be used easily with other workouts to hit a muscle group thoroughly.

I've used it that way, but sounds like a good idea. I've used Slow&Heavy before but did a 4-4 count instead of a 6-2 count. The 6 count was just toooo boring for me, the 4-4 count had a much lower dread factor for me.

Stacy GREAT IDEA w/ SH count! I've just put that in my notes! I agree- theres a BIG dread factor for me on that one! Especially those biceps! Goes on FOREVER!! }(

Hi,

I'm using GS for the next 3-4 weeks, I've already done 1 week, using 8-10 reps and going as heavy as possible. Doing 8-10 reps gives you just a little extra recovery time, which is helpful when you are going heavier. I think that it will give me the strength gains that I am looking for because the series of exercises are so comprehensive.

Tracy

PS. I have added a few pull ups to the back work because I can't go as heavy on rows as I would like because of an injury.

Great! Thanks so much. I wasn't sure about less reps, because you are fatiguing (sp?) one muscle group at a time (instead of doing supersets or push pull~ where your muscles rest in between). I am going to start the April 05 rotation using GS with 8-10 reps in August, now I know it can be done:)

Thanks,
Deanie

I agree with Traci-x, there are just so many ways to use the Gym Styles. I also agree that you don't have to do all the reps. When I'm going heavier, I complete as many reps as I can to failure. I let Cathe continue while I rest. I don't feel guilty about pausing the DVD player if I need a longer break. I will be happy when Cathe comes out with her heavy split.

jordan

I mix and match this set all the time. I go heavy and never bother with the bonus burns. I don't always do the same number of reps as Cathe either. Also, I sometimes skip biceps, triceps, and the lower body floorwork completely. I buy workouts to get ideas and then I make them my own.

Another great way to use the GS series is to use the mix and match feature on the menu to make these into a push/pull kind of workout. You can really go heavier if you do this, especially on GS C&T. True, GS BSB isn't quite "push/pull," but just go back, shoulder, bicep and the effect is similar enough.

LOVE the GS!

Mattea

Thats a great idea, I love that!! I am definately tring that next month! Do you do 8-10 reps that way, or stay with what Cathe does?

Thanks,
Deanie

Deanie,
I stay with what Cathe does in terms of number of reps and speed, but I, as I said, am able to go much heavier than I normally would. This style helped me break a few weight lifting plateaus that I had hit with the GS series.

Good luck!
Mattea

Thanks! One final question: when you use the mix and match do you do 3 sets of chest(i.e. 3 sets of bench press in a row) then 3 sets of tri (i.e.3 sets of extensions in a row) or one set of chest (bench press), one set of tri (extension) back to chest press then to extension? Hope this makes sense:).....and I do tend to be anal sometimes!!!LOL I definately will be doing this next month!!

Thanks,
Deanie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.