Dumbell weights for Slow & Heavy?

DVD_fan

Hi everyone,

I love Cathe's challenging workouts, especially PowerMax, MIS, MIC, and the Pure Strength series.

I just received the Slow & Heavy series and am excited to start it, however my dumbbell set is too light. Would the experienced among you please tell me the dumbbell weights Cathe uses in Slow & Heavy?

I own 5, 8, 10, 12, 15 and 20 pound dumbbells. I see Cathe's using a 40 on the DVD cover, and the chest workout starts with 25. Do I need to buy 25, 30, 35, and 40 lb. pairs to cover the exercises? Anything else? I have a heavy barbell set, so I'm covered there.

Thanks for your help!

Hi DVD Fan!

The only two DB's that you do not have that Cathe uses in the series are the 25 & 40 pounders. If I'm not mistaken, she uses the 25 pounders for chest presses and calf raises. She does lower to a 20 pounder for chest. The 40 pounder is used for inner thigh plie squats, holding it in front of you. It is VERY heavy holding it and you may just want to use your barbell loaded at 40 pounds which is much easier to hold. The plies are close to the end of the leg work and I find that sometimes my fingers are fatigued by then from holding all those heavy weights!!! :-wow Those days I use my barbell sometimes loaded at 45. You may want to try the workout with what you have before investing in the heavier ones. Just a thought. Good Luck and have fun. It's a GREAT series.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Debbie gave great suggestions. The thing I do for the 40 lb dumbbell plie squat, is to hold two 20 lb dumbbells. The other thing I found interesting, is that even though it is called slow and heavy, I found myself dropping poundage frequently, given the fact that no momentum is involved - you might want to try it a few times - you may find that you have all the weights you need, at least for a couple of weeks. Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Colia

I hold 20s and 5s in my hands at the same time to do that set of chest presses. Unless your hands are very small, this will work.
And I just use a barbell for the plie squats also.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.