Working out 7 Days a week?

niclyf

Cathlete
Dear Cathe or Educated Crowd ..

I almost always workout 7 days a week and have been doing so for probably about a year. If I'm traveling for work and unable to exercise or am sick, then I might miss a workout, but for the most part, I exercise 7 days a week.

I'm wondering, is this a bad thing? I don't feel like I'm overtraining (I don't have any of the signs) and always feel energized post-workout.

I've read through various sources on the topic, and while one might say you should get at least one rest day, a different one will say you should do 'some' activity every day. I basically do 5 days of cardio and 2 days of strength, but I prefer to keep my cardio and strength separate, which means I'm working out every day.

Is keeping this type of schedule okay, as long as I don't reach the point where I feel as though I'm overtraining?

Thanks Greatly!!
Nicole

I am not Cathe I would personally recommend have a rest day

I have often read (so often it is probably right) and it has been discussed here before that your body does need a rest day even if it doesn't feel that it needs it.

A rest day is a rest from exercising (you will still be doing some sort of daily activity) even walking around etc just not any additional strength and cardio.

Overtraining my not be a problem for you now but you could be laying down the foundations of problems later on. I remember reading, where this guy was talking about his mother a dancer who developed as she got older problems with her knees and hips (she had replacement surgery etc) she was a dancer who did lots of high impact and it caught up with her.

Could I recommend not a "rest from exercise day".

Just an opinion take it or leave it.

Babs

Hi Nicole! I am a big fan of at least one rest day for your body. But yes, you are right, there is some research out there that has been saying that some activity 7 days a week is fine. I personally don't agree with that. But you ultimately have to make the decision for yourself. The fact that you do not feel overtrained and still have energy each day is at least in your favor. The day that changes though, a rest day is strongly recommended :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.