will running on treadmill incline increase thigh size

lulu68

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I love running on the treadmill, I run between 3-4 times a week. My question is I put the incline on 31/2-4 incline and do steady and intervrals, will this build my quads? I'm trying to downsize my thighs at the time they measure 171/2 inches. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi Cathe,

I love running on the treadmill, I run between 3-4 times a week. My question is I put the incline on 31/2-4 incline and do steady and intervrals, will this build my quads? I'm trying to downsize my thighs at the time they measure 171/2 inches. Any suggestions? Thanks!

My guess would be no, it will not build your quads, because it is an aerobic activity. It may strengthen your quads, since they're used in running, but I would say to build your quads you would need weights. Running has only ever leaned me out, and maybe defined my muscles a bit more, but never makes them bigger, at least for me. My one suggestion would be to maybe switch it up a bit. If you always run on an incline, maybe switch it up with a few minutes of no incline but with a faster pace. And if you love running like I do, I would suggest getting Cardio Coach, if you don't already have it. It is the best motivator!:)

dani

Yes and no....

I run on a treadmill for 5-10 miles at a time, every other day or so, and if anything my quads have gotten smaller. It really helps to burn the fat on the legs and reveal the muscle. Running will give you nice lean legs. To build mass, you would need to do more weight training on the legs. However, doing all-out effort on sprints can and will build leg strength, mass and increase speed. Intervals where you run comfortable and then high-tail it in a full sprint as fast as you can will not only put you in HIIT training but really tone and build the leg muscles...so I guess if you are sprinting, and I don't just mean running fast, but really sprinting to where you can only maintain that pace for 10-15 seconds, then yes you can build your quads. Have you ever seen the legs of an olympic sprinter??? They are beautiful....

No, it won't. I run at 1% incline, but powerwalk as fast as I can (3.9-4.6mph) at inclines of 7-15%. None of this has enlarged my quads at all. My legs are lean and defined. The incline work is excellent for protecting the knees, so keep doing it. It also helps work the glutes more, which running on the flat does not, and this, in turn, also helps protect the knees as it does not build quad strength over glute and hamstring strength (a front-back muscle imbalance can affect the shifting of the kneecap).

Keep doing what you are doing!

Clare

The big question is not the actual measurement of the thigh, but the measurement of the fat on the thigh.

I read an article somewhere that says you must do a caliper measurement on your thighs to understand fully if you have muscular or fat thighs, if the calipers measures fat at more than 15 mm on the thigh, you can reduce the amount of fat on your thigh.

17.5" if measured midthigh is not very big at all, but again if you pinch the fat and you have 25 or 30 mm, you should be looking at gaining muscle and reducing the fat.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.